Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post

I am aware Hampton Roads is not for me. Perhaps to you, Erma and others hunting, mudding, etc. aren't low class, but then again, it does make one wonder why there are such stereotypes of Virginian red neck hicks, and whether or not they're stereotypical at all.
The stereotypes you speak of mostly revolves around areas such as Hanover County (where high school students are allowed to keep hunting rifles in their trucks during hunting season), and the mountainous areas. Not so much with the Hampton Roads area.

However, you get "low class" wherever you go. Not one place is devoid of it.

Quote:
Thanks for the offer on VA Beach, but, to be perfectly honest, I find VA Beach even worse than Suffolk.
However, it is more "urban" than Suffolk, which is why Kuharai suggested it. That or downtown Norfolk, away from the suburbs. (Downtown Norfolk was modeled to be an exact copy of Downtown Baltimore.)

I've been to West Virginia, as my mom is from there. If you want to have any idea about the "redneck" stereotype, visit the mountainous regions of West Virginia. The kind where people own large acres of farm land for dirt cheap. Then you'll see what the "redneck" stereotype truly is, and you'll see that the Hampton Roads region does not meet that in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM

162 posts, read 657,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
And if one only attacks, then obviously they are in the wrong space to live in.

Of course not. We hunt for meat for which becomes a good meal. Not everybody goes to the market for their food. My personal favorite is the local catfish (at Lake Smith, for instance) of which I enjoy a nice day of fishing and cooking. Nothing like fresh caught fish over an open fire.

Never heard of the "Virginian red neck hicks," maybe West Virginia, but not us. Then again, when one lives on the perceivement of stereotypes, it shows more social ignorance than the guy who got himself a nice buck for dinner.

Really? How could Virginia Beach be worse than Suffolk?

First you say that Suffolk is the most tolerable, then you say that we should look at Williamsburg. In case many hadn't realized, Williamsburg is indeed part of the Hampton Roads Bundle Deal.
Williamsburg part of Hampton Roads? Not really. I'd only consider Hampton Roads the 7 cities.

Virginia Beach is far worse because it's the epitome of cheap suburbia. Vinyl victorians as far as the eye can see, most deteriorating since they were first constructed in the 80's and 90's.

I'm not saying that it's the residents fault directly, but those on city council during those periods should have kept greater control over the city. Virginia Beach had the potential to become a great city. Plenty of land, close proximity to the ocean, etc.

Virginians are talked about just as much as West Virginians up north and consists very little of anything other than red necks.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Williamsburg part of Hampton Roads? Not really. I'd only consider Hampton Roads the 7 cities....<snip>]Virginians are talked about just as much as West Virginians up north and consists very little of anything other than red necks.
Gee, and you made it sound like Social Ignorance was a "Virginian" thing... Kettle, meet Pot.

So to answer the opening poster, if you don't visit the area that you are thinking of moving to, you will never get to truly experience the area. You can hear anecdotal evidence on both sides of the coin, but until you see the building you are possibly working at, until you drive around the areas you are looking at living - you will never know how you will like it.

Because, as we've determined through this debacle, social ignorance and the likes can be found everywhere in America.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Gee, and you made it sound like Social Ignorance was a "Virginian" thing... Kettle, meet Pot.

So to answer the opening poster, if you don't visit the area that you are thinking of moving to, you will never get to truly experience the area. You can hear anecdotal evidence on both sides of the coin, but until you see the building you are possibly working at, until you drive around the areas you are looking at living - you will never know how you will like it.

Because, as we've determined through this debacle, social ignorance and the likes can be found everywhere in America.
A FREAKIN' MEN! Let it be written, let it be done!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM

254 posts, read 1,207,348 times
I love the big cities also, but I'd seriously consider the 15K increase just because it would seem more like a 20K+ increase in this area. My co-worker just bought a new 2600 square foot house, 1/2 acre down in Suffolk in a new sub-division for about 260K with 4% interest (seller paid down the points). She has to cross the James river every day, but the 664 M-M bridge is a lot better than most bridges in this area. The public transportation isn't as good as DC, but if you drive, your commute is usually a lot less frustrating in comparison with DC no matter where you live in Hampton Roads.
A lot of entertainment, beaches, restaurants, shopping, amusement parks, etc to keep busy with here. I can drive to DC for the big events, but usually I'm fairly happy with everything right here.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM

28 posts, read 145,337 times
I want to thank everyone for their input.

In the last week, I did more research on the area and it started to seem less and less bad to me, especially since the offer letter I got actually said I'd be working in Chesapeake, not Suffolk (I think the recruiter was confused). Anyway, I was ready to take the offer - one good thing in my mind would be the ability to rent a nice house instead of the apartments I am used to living in - but before I accepted the offer, I got a job in New York City, which I am excited about, though I do think that I may regret passing up on the Hampton Roads when I'm looking for parking outside a small apartment on a congested street.

Good luck everyone.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Thank you for letting us know what happened. I hope you are happy with all of your endeavors in New York City. Maybe sometime you can take a trip down here, just for fun.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:20 PM

162 posts, read 657,831 times
Congrats on the job! NYC is great

Old 07-31-2023, 08:48 AM

111 posts, read 364,144 times
delete

Old 07-31-2023, 11:45 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
There is a saying "Below the James [river] lies Dixie." That said, we are not just a bunch of ignorant Southerners. It is a different tempo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area