Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer64 View Post
I have seen my property value increase significantly as well as others on my street.
Increase by what standards? They are still bringing in out of state buyers who dont know any better and trying to sell them Park Place in the day time hours.

Quote:
The way I interpreted your post is to avoid any questionalble areas. Stick to wasp neighborhoods. Let the bad neighborhoods continue to grow and stay run down.
If they want to risk their property, childrens safety and education, and their and their families lives to "clean up" a neighborhood, thats their decision. However, the OP specifically asked to list what NEIGHBORHOODS are bad. He obviously is not interested in rehabbing a gutter.

Quote:
If you don't think trying to improve one's surroundings and their community is a good thing, then don't do it. I however think that if people don't take steps to create better living spaces for the commuinty, we are sticking our heads in the sand.
I would rather stick my head in the sand then have it shot off by a stray bullet, any time.

Quote:
By all means, stay in your 'good' neighborhood while I and others try and improve ours. So maybe, unfortunatly folks like you would want to move here in a few years and pay 10x what I paid for my home. I am only 3 blocks from Ghent. Gosh, hope nothing from there spills over onto my street. God forbid.
Park Place has been a gutter for 40 years, and its going to continue to be a gutter, no matter how many house rehabbers go in, and try to artificially bump up house prices. Your best hope is that ODU envelops the whole area and bulldozes it to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
No offense to anyone, but I bought my bike off of craigslist and had to go to Ghent to pick it up....not impressive at all. Just a bunch of old houses that for some reason some yuppies think are great and old houses converted into apartments. I have my concealed weapon permit and was glad I did. . bought the bike and headed outta there.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
No offense to anyone, but I bought my bike off of craigslist and had to go to Ghent to pick it up....not impressive at all. Just a bunch of old houses that for some reason some yuppies think are great and old houses converted into apartments. I have my concealed weapon permit and was glad I did. . bought the bike and headed outta there.
My guess is because the "yuppies" you saw are the ones in Hampton Roads looking for something other than the suburbs to live in. Ghent is one of few urban neighborhoods in the area, so for those looking for that lifestyle Ghent becomes the best bet in Hampton Roads. And old doesn't necessarily mean dilapidated. Many of the homes and buildings in Ghent are historical, dating back to the early 1900's. Also, Ghent is usually a pretty safe area so I'm surprised you felt you needed a weapon. Is it possible you may have been in Park Place? They border each other.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
No, it was Ghent......I guess it's probably just that where I am originially from that area would not be considered urban.....just simply old houses.
I guess old habits are hard to break

Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:

Ghent does look dumpy in places, but its mostly just because its older, and historic. In reality, its one of the safest, highest dollar and eclectic areas in the city.

Almost any older urban area is going to look similiar, regardless of its quality of life. Go in to NYC and some of the most luxurious buildings in the city look like they could be condemed on the outside, especially in midtown Manhattan.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
No, it was Ghent......I guess it's probably just that where I am originially from that area would not be considered urban.....just simply old houses.
I guess old habits are hard to break
Haha, I understand that, but just remember that a place like Ghent in the middle of the seemingly never-ending suburban sprawl of Hampton Roads is actually quite urban. Where are you originally from?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
I just moved to MS from VA. I lived for 6 years in the Monticello Village area of Norfolk. Off of Little Creek...it was a nice quiet neighborhood with lower priced houses. Gee I miss it there! Wish I never left.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 PM

154 posts, read 291,156 times
Addressing what Randomdude posted regarding Hilltop, I was driving behind the hospital today and saw signage in the neighborhood warning everyone to lock their cars due to break-ins.
I was very surprised. The sign was handwritten and posted on a side street.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Addressing what Randomdude posted regarding Hilltop, I was driving behind the hospital today and saw signage in the neighborhood warning everyone to lock their cars due to break-ins.
I was very surprised. The sign was handwritten and posted on a side street.
That actually doesn't come to much of shock for me. The last few times I've been in that neighborhood (mostly because of Trader Joe's) I've noticed a little grit. More homeless, more graffiti, and a little more grime in general. I actually like that area though, but it does seem to be a bit on the rougher side as far as VB 'hoods go.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Affordable housing can be found in the Churchland area of Portsmouth. Also, areas of Northern Suffolk (along Rt 17) - Bennetts Creek, Harbourview and older SFH along Rt 17. I cannot tell you specifically about Va Beach, but parts of Norfolk are very decent. Also, most anything near the Western Branch neighborhood of Chesapeake is good. There are many other good neighborhoods in Chesapeake too. Chesapeake is one HUGE suburbia - and it is best to avoid high traffic areas like Greenbrier, although it is a good place to live if you like alot of shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area