Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 AM

80 posts, read 380,875 times

Advertisements

Oh hi everyone. Let's see, I live in Green Run near the Rosemont/Lynnhaven intersection. Yup, there's a check cashing place and a Bottom Dollar! There are also nail salons and barbers that seem tailored to either Asians or African Americans. I know about gunshots in Manchester Village, syringes in the park, used condoms on the road, aggressive dogs, Filipino gangs, the Farm Fresh getting robbed up the road, a shooting at the BP station, etc. etc. Look, I've lived in here my whole life and I've rarely run into problems. You should know where you stand when you're in an area that seems so infamous. I ran into more trouble between the ages of 10-15 thanks to schoolyard bullies. Some things never change, because ten years later, I'm still getting kids or teens yelling "HEY LEMME GET YOUR BIKE" at me as I ride by them. I don't fear for my life when I walk around past 10pm and I've done that a lot. I was fourteen once and had to walk home from the Providence/Princess Anne intersection to Rosemont Rd one night around 11:30pm. Over the summer, I had a few nights where I was able to ride my bike around this area(as well as mileage between the S.Independence end of VA Beach Blvd. and the oceanfront) between midnight to 2:30am and not once did I feel like I was in danger. When I get robbed or assaulted, I'll let you know. The only time in recent memory where I felt a little uneasy was when I was back in September waiting at the HRT stop on Rosemont across from a Manchester Village parking lot and hearing a guy across the street yelling on the phone like he was Tony Montana. This was around 2pm!

Should I mention I'm brown? Would I recommend living in Green Run? No way, it's not for everyone.

If there's a neighborhood I've heard stories about, it's the unfortunately named Friendship Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
Should I mention I'm brown?
You work for UPS?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
You work for UPS?
now that is funny.....Thanks for the laugh

Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
You work for UPS?

What can brown do for you?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

80 posts, read 380,875 times
Hey, I laughed too.

I just think a lot of you folks are coming off like the "scared white folk" mentioned in several Def Comedy Jam specials throughout the mid 1990s.
Now someone is going to mention they have Native American ancestry...

Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM

21 posts, read 74,297 times
I used to live in a neighborhorod near the intersection of Rosemont and Lynnhaven as well. I can't remember the name of neighborhood, but I think there might be a dollar general in a shopping center across the street. I also think there is a check cash advance location right near the entrance and an closed Italian ice stand somewhere nearby as well.

I loved that neighborhood as a child! I have fond memories of riding my bike, buying ice cream from the ice cream truck, and getting into water balloon rights with the neighborhood kids. I used to play outside after dark with my cousins! I never ran into any problems.

Reading some of these posts, I'm unknowingly a child of the ghetto...

Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
Hey, I laughed too.

I just think a lot of you folks are coming off like the "scared white folk" mentioned in several Def Comedy Jam specials throughout the mid 1990s.
Now someone is going to mention they have Native American ancestry...

Wow, when has it been about race? This is about crime rate here, not the color of any residents of an areas skin. People are mentioning many of these neighborhoods, because they contain huge disrpoportionate amounts of crime, not because of the demographics of any neighborhood.

I can promise you, a great deal of people in those neighborhoods, of all ages and colors would probably rather live somewhere else, they are just stuck there because they cant afford to move.

Its not just "white man on the hill" syndrome. The only people who dont mind living in a gutter are mostly the people who are making it the gutter in the first place. The rest of the people, regardless of color, are counting the days until they can get out.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I used to live in a neighborhorod near the intersection of Rosemont and Lynnhaven as well. I can't remember the name of neighborhood, but I think there might be a dollar general in a shopping center across the street. I also think there is a check cash advance location right near the entrance and an closed Italian ice stand somewhere nearby as well.

I loved that neighborhood as a child! I have fond memories of riding my bike, buying ice cream from the ice cream truck, and getting into water balloon rights with the neighborhood kids. I used to play outside after dark with my cousins! I never ran into any problems.

Reading some of these posts, I'm unknowingly a child of the ghetto...
Ghetto.....not really. I dont think any neighborhood in Virginia Beach could classify as a ghetto. However, there are some neighborhoods that are highly questionable to the point where you have to really watch your back, and where you cant leave personal belongings out for just a second.

Obviously there is nowhere in the city that people are ducking gunfire on a daily basis. However, that really is grasping straws. I dont think anyone really wants to be somewhere that requires you to have be looking over your shoulder every five seconds.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Wow, when has it been about race? This is about crime rate here, not the color of any residents of an areas skin. People are mentioning many of these neighborhoods, because they contain huge disrpoportionate amounts of crime, not because of the demographics of any neighborhood.
Hear hear!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 74,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ghetto.....not really. I dont think any neighborhood in Virginia Beach could classify as a ghetto. However, there are some neighborhoods that are highly questionable to the point where you have to really watch your back, and where you cant leave personal belongings out for just a second.

Obviously there is nowhere in the city that people are ducking gunfire on a daily basis. However, that really is grasping straws. I dont think anyone really wants to be somewhere that requires you to have be looking over your shoulder every five seconds.
I wasn't being serious with my last comment about being a child of ghetto.

I lived in some areas in VB that some might find questionable, but none of my family members ever felt the need to "watch our backs", not during the daytime anyhow.

At night, sure, we were more cautious, but we were cautious with every part in Virginia Beach at night, not just the supposed "questionable areas".

Also, I would never leave my personal belongings out anywhere. People from all walks of life steal things for variety of reasons, poor people and relatively well off people included.

From my own experience, the only instance where my family was a victim of crime was when our business was broken into and vandalized, causing thousands of dollars in damage. The business is located in an office park in a middle class area of Virginia Beach. Go figure...

We had an idea of who the suspects were, some neighborhood boys who liked to trespass and skateboard in the parking lot. Whenever my family asked them to leave, they responded with some disgusting obscenities.

I will say to each his own, I guess. We just view things differently based on our experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area