Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:16 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
Hey, I laughed too.

I just think a lot of you folks are coming off like the "scared white folk"

Majority of the posts all over this forum seem to give off this vibe. Its comical. But Ill just say "scary folk" for a more politically correct term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 PM

21 posts, read 74,291 times
^ I agree. I'm just saying that the neighborhoods that are listed...its kind of like the pink elephant in the room.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Also, I would never leave my personal belongings out anywhere. People from all walks of life steal things for variety of reasons, poor people and relatively well off people included.
Here is the thing though, its not the income level, its the morality of the individual. There are many places in this country where you can leave a bicycle outside for a week, and nobody will touch it. People have left their doors unlocked for generations. Most of these places are very poor and rural.

In Oceana, as a kid, my bicycle was stolen off the back porch in the 5 minutes I set it there to run in and use the bathroom.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
^ I agree. I'm just saying that the neighborhoods that are listed...its kind of like the pink elephant in the room.
I think thats more of a coincidence. Are the neighborhoods with higher crime rates often higher percent minority and usually lower income? Yes it is. However, the income level and demographic make up of the neighborhood isnt what is undesirable for, what Id hope, most people. There are obviously people who feel uncomfortable living around anyone different then them, however, in my particuliar case, I could care less if you are blue, green or purple, as long as you dont hassle me, steal my crap, shoot near my house, or sell drugs or prostitute yourself out near my house, Im good with you. On the other hand, if I have to be concerned about any of the above on an average day, I really dont want to be there, regardless of the demographics.

Right now I live in a poor neighborhood, and, its probably got a disproportionate amount of minorities, however, I dont have a problem in the world living here. My crap isnt thieved, the only gun shots come from a connecting neighborhood, and there is almost no violent crime outside of the occassional domestic dispute. For the most part, my neighborhood is respectable low income people of all kinds of demographics.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM

21 posts, read 74,291 times
Randomdude, fair enough, I can understand that.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM

80 posts, read 380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Wow, when has it been about race? This is about crime rate here, not the color of any residents of an areas skin. People are mentioning many of these neighborhoods, because they contain huge disrpoportionate amounts of crime, not because of the demographics of any neighborhood.

I can promise you, a great deal of people in those neighborhoods, of all ages and colors would probably rather live somewhere else, they are just stuck there because they cant afford to move.

Its not just "white man on the hill" syndrome. The only people who dont mind living in a gutter are mostly the people who are making it the gutter in the first place. The rest of the people, regardless of color, are counting the days until they can get out.
Look, it's just my experiences. There is a narrow mindset out there where people will associate race with crime. When I was a teen, I had quite a few "white kidz" from Cox and Kellam asking me why I wasn't a "gangsta/thug/tough guy." I don't mind living in my neighborhood, in fact, it's one of the "nicer" Green Run neighborhoods. Sure, I've heard about drug deals going on along the canal behind my house and just loud cars/people roaming the streets at midnight, but other than that, it's just "chill." That doesn't mean I plan on sticking around for another couple of years.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Bingo.....best post in this thread.....If you see a Botton Dollar, or a check cashing business.....you are not in the best part of town
Same goes for Fresh Pride.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
Look, it's just my experiences. There is a narrow mindset out there where people will associate race with crime.
I cant argue with you there, there are still extreme racial stereotypes. However, can you possibly say that is the case on this thread? Seriously, take a look at many of the neighborhoods mentioned here. They are some of the most crime ridden in the area. Some might happen to be "black" neighborhoods, but thats likely not the reason people are pointing them out. I really dont know who lives in Lake Edward in Virginia Beach, nor do I really care, but I do know it has a disproportionate crime rate, and thats good enough to keep me away from it.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM

90 posts, read 288,148 times
Here are some areas that I have noticed. Some of them aren't as bad as others, so I've put astericks next to the ones that are really bad.

Norfolk
  • Military Circle Area - VA Beach Blvd/Military Cir
  • Norview Area - Sewells Point **
  • Five Points - Sewells Point/Chesapeake/Norview **
  • East Oceanview
  • Lake Taylor
  • Booker T. Washington **
  • Janaf Shopping Area
  • Campostella Heights Area - Campostella/Wilson **
Chesapeake
  • Indian River **
Virginia Beach
  • Newtown/Diamond Springs
  • Greenrun

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,789 times
Yes Huntersville is rough, I was raised there more than 20 yrs ago. I dont condone crime in Huntersville but refuse to ignore the good in it. Do I regret growing up there? Absolutely not. Every single one of my friends that grew up in Huntersville with me are successful and we still keep in touch. There is a bond between the members of the community that is thicker than blood. Thomas Market( black owned) has been serving the community since I was a child, giving jobs to young boys and shaping them into men. The people I know from Huntersville helped make me who I am and I am forever grateful. Ask anyone who grew up there if they'll ever turn their back on where they came from. In my opinion, I've seen more productive citizens that grew up in such areas than those on the so called right side of the tracks. You wanna talk about crack in our neighborhoods, get rid of the meth labs in yours first?

Last edited by jchele; 12-29-2010 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: change words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area