Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 05:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

According to the MyTSA app right now - only an hour to get thru TSA at OGG and less than 5 minutes with PreCheck.

Although I have PreCheck - I always get to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight and never understand why others do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 09:07 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
According to the MyTSA app right now - only an hour to get thru TSA at OGG and less than 5 minutes with PreCheck.

Although I have PreCheck - I always get to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight and never understand why others do not.
When I traveled in June, standing in the sun at Maui Airport for nearly an hour sucked. At least they've now added a canopy.

I guess it's time to look into PreCheck...

Old 09-10-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

I guess it's time to look into PreCheck...
PreCheck is great. Unfortunately it takes months to obtain.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:08 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:

I only stopped showing up at least 2 hours before a flight once I got Clear, which I use in addition to PreCheck. Because Clear verifies your identity (your identify still needs to be verified by the security agent prior to the baggage scan/security scan area if you have PreCheck), you get moved up to the front of the line and can immediately enter the baggage/security scan area. This is a major benefit even if you don't have PreCheck, but if you are without PreCheck, you'll still have to take off your shoes and be subject to additional rules when going through the baggage/security scan area.

That said, Clear isn't at every airport (I'm not tracking that it's at any Hawaii based airports), so if leaving Hawaii, I'd still plan on getting to the airports with ample time to clear security. And PreCheck is becoming so common, that even PreCheck lines can be rather lengthy.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:54 PM

I get Clear free from United. No Clear in Hawaii. The only time I use Clear with PreCheck is SFO.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times
Interesting commentary about tourism posted today:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/09/er...e-ask-them-to/

Old 09-13-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Interesting commentary about tourism posted today:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/09/er...e-ask-them-to/
Yep - another anti-tourism article with no alternative on how to keep the State economy running without it.

However - the biggest lol moment was this quote:

"So let’s legislate a more equitable split of tourism’s profits between the hotel owners et al and the local working-class people who keep the industry running, maybe something more closely resembling a 50/50 split, like how it is between players’ unions and team owners in professional sports."

How does that 50/50 split work when a hotel loses money - would love to see employees subsidizing losses.

Breaking news to the writer of the article - the hotels already have unions - if the hotel unions want to be like professional team sports unions - they can strike over the issue.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:14 PM

51 posts, read 42,134 times
Quote:
PreCheck is great. Unfortunately it takes months to obtain.

Not a snarky question. Why months? I got my clearance via email the day after I applied at the TSA screener in Montgomery(had to DRIVE 250 MILES round trip to get it ) Well worth it though to skip the snarl. My son tells me that all current military members are automatically enrolled in PreCheck. What a deal...

Cheers!

Old 09-19-2022, 03:51 PM

51 posts, read 42,134 times
Quote:
Yep - another anti-tourism article with no alternative on how to keep the State economy running without it.

However - the biggest lol moment was this quote:

"So let’s legislate a more equitable split of tourism’s profits between the hotel owners et al and the local working-class people who keep the industry running, maybe something more closely resembling a 50/50 split, like how it is between players’ unions and team owners in professional sports."

How does that 50/50 split work when a hotel loses money - would love to see employees subsidizing losses.

Breaking news to the writer of the article - the hotels already have unions - if the hotel unions want to be like professional team sports unions - they can strike over the issue.

Wasn't there just an article last week in HNN talking about how the tourism industry was in desperate need of people and that they were ready to "Pay pretty well" (Lord, what does THAT mean? I don't wanna guess ).

V/R

Old 09-19-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
Not a snarky question. Why months? I got my clearance via email the day after I applied at the TSA screener in Montgomery(had to DRIVE 250 MILES round trip to get it ) Well worth it though to skip the snarl. My son tells me that all current military members are automatically enrolled in PreCheck. What a deal...

Cheers!
I stand corrected. Pre Check is indeed faster - I was thinking of Global Entry (which comes with Pre Check) - that ultimately takes months for approval. If you do international travel, Global Entry is the way to go, if not - just Pre Check is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii