Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 12,986 times

Advertisements

I am in my 60s, so I only lower my head past level enough to stretch the spine. I started out at 30 degrees past horizontal, but now I am up to 45. It works. Things crack and pop back onto place and I feel better. I have been using the Teeter HangUps that I purchased in 2004 for 10 years. I have had 3 falls and one major auto accident during that time and it has been the one thing that has kept me mobile. I have 8 ruptured disks and still walk and do what I need to do.
3-5 minutes is all you really need, doing that a couple times a day is better.
The Teeter was well worth paying more. It is the most stable table out there.
I would never advise anyone to hang completely upside down on it until they work their way up to in in 5 or 10 degree steps.
One thing that helps if you can't totally invert. Put a very slippery cloth between you and the table. It will enable your spine to stretch easier. Nylon is good. My table wears a lovely nightgown.

Last edited by SuzanOF; 10-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: unnecessary text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM

245 posts, read 304,302 times
a more available, lower risk/stress way is outlined in THE FOUR HOUR BODY, by Tim Ferriss. You "catch" your heel at different heights, while lying supine, with the other leg bent up at 90 degrees (lying on a medicine ball is what I use). I use a fencerail at the gym to suspend my heel at 15", 10", 5" off of the floor. 5 minutes on each, then switch legs, 30 minutes total. I was doing it once a week, but now half that often seems to suffice.

I have also seen boots with big steel hooks mounted on them, to let you hang upside down from a chinup bar.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,019 times
I used to use an inversion table occasionally for lower back pain. One day I used it for a short time and then later that evening I was completely taken down with terrible pain on the left side of my back (it felt like my kidney). The next morning it had become much much worse with the pain spreading to my groin and upper thigh. After two trips to the ER and 8 weeks of multiple dr visits, ct scan, mri and exrays I found out that I had an inguinal hernia. In addition, they found SI Joint inflamation. Apparently I had a hernia and using the inversion table caused the hernia to become worse and bulging. It was entrapping nerves and causing severe pain. In conjuction with the hernia, the SI Joint was causing pain in the same areas and numbness in the groin and upper thigh. After hernia surgery and three SI Injections I am finally back to normal. I have researched this and both the hernia and SI Joint were most likely worsened by the use of the inversion table. It was the worse and most painful 3 months of my life. I think inversion tables are extremely helpful for those with back pain. I just want people to know that if you have a hernia please do not use this device. The hernia never did show up on any of my tests and dr's don't EVER suspect that a woman could have a hernia (the thought just doesn't enter their mind). It was only noticable when I was standing up and all tests were performed while I was lying down. I had to MAKE a doctor look at the bulge and ask if he thought it could be a hernia=====only after that did I get a diagnosis.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,783 times
Well I have used an inversion table now , with the advice of my PT and Dr due to suffering disc probs since 1998 Had opp in 2004 to repair a broken disc but was advised that I would need reg PT and avoid adverse compression (used to ride m/cross and do distance jumps on m/bikes so heavy landings).
I had from 2004 to 2011 hung from a beam in my lounge most days to stretch my spine after a busy day,but was made aware of inversion tables in Nov 2011, after consulting with my Dr and PT they both agreed done properly it would be benificial to my condition.
So in Dec 2011 I bought an Teeter Contour L3 and some 10 mnths on it has proven to give me even more relief than going to a PT and I havent felt the need to go see him ££ saved it has already paid me back [sorry for the pun] and it is used daily
morning sometime miday and evening from 10 to 30 mins at a time alternating from horizontal to inverted and back forth during the session.I take a very high leval of cod liver oil and Glucosomine sulphate also.
Hope this helps you Irene

Old 06-20-2016, 01:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Some people can't use these inversion tables due to their back issues. Nor those compression tables some chiropractors have. I used an inversion way back in my 30's and now almost 78 no more for sure.

How much CLO do you take. I started on it a week or so ago. I tsp daily now.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I use the inversion table at the end of every workout at the gym. It really helps my lower back/hips. I change my music to hemisync and meditate upside down for a few minutes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I was told and thru MRI I know I deal with spondylothesis and for sure not for back with this issue.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I use the inversion table at the end of every workout at the gym. It really helps my lower back/hips. I change my music to hemisync and meditate upside down for a few minutes.
My husband bought me one for Christmas. I am going to meditating on it. Sounds relaxing.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Inversion tables can be helpful but there CAN be serious risks for some - anyone with high blood pressure, heart issues, or eye issues like glaucoma should NOT use them.

What Dangers Lie with Inversion Tables - Michael A. Gleiber, MD

Old 01-07-2017, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,118 times
I have a disc bulge and experience intense pain regularly. I have just purchased an inversion table and love the feeling while on the table but find getting off and walking the first few steps afterwards a real struggle. The spine adjusting to gravity again is slow and painful but a few minutes later I'm good.... has anyone else experienced this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness