Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,695 times

Advertisements

It sounds like all of you are doing big projects. I'm just doing fluff stuff. I did get the duvet cover, which turned into more of a blanket/throw, finished. If the thought of doing anything with lip cord ever flits across my mind again, I'm probably going to have to pull out the pistola .

I've been working on freshening up and de-pinking my entryway. Those little pink/green/gold cloisonne birds that I spray painted white got a light glaze:

The two matching plates also got some paint and a pretty heavy glaze:

I ordered a new print and painted a mat for a frame above the buffet/server that is in the entryway. I found this thing that appears to be chip/dip server??? at the thrift store and put some stuff in it:

I painted these brass candlesticks oil rubbed bronze and swapped the pink candles for these:

I had to use a little redneck ingenuity to attach that green candle so it wouldn't topple .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
It sounds like all of you are doing big projects. I'm just doing fluff stuff. I did get the duvet cover, which turned into more of a blanket/throw, finished. If the thought of doing anything with lip cord ever flits across my mind again, I'm probably going to have to pull out the pistola .

I've been working on freshening up and de-pinking my entryway. Those little pink/green/gold cloisonne birds that I spray painted white got a light glaze:

The two matching plates also got some paint and a pretty heavy glaze:

I ordered a new print and painted a mat for a frame above the buffet/server that is in the entryway. I found this thing that appears to be chip/dip server??? at the thrift store and put some stuff in it:

I painted these brass candlesticks oil rubbed bronze and swapped the pink candles for these:

I had to use a little redneck ingenuity to attach that green candle so it wouldn't topple .
Oh I LOVE all those project - those are just my speed! My favorite is the birds - they turned out great. I remember when you first painted them and I liked them then but now they're even better!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:06 PM

OK I just did a fun project.

My dad found an antique bugle at an estate sale and snagged it for me. I found an antique frame at a junk shop for about $10. Most of the other stuff I already had on hand - Christmas greenery, ribbons, ornaments, wire, hot glue gun...and an old pair of velvet pants that were sacrificed for the cause! (I think I had only worn them once and I bought them at Goodwill anyway so it didn't much matter.)

Anyway, I spiffed up the frame with some paint and goldleaf, then covered the backing with the velvet, then glued that into the frame, then attached the bugle to the backing by sticking wire through the backing (hope it holds - it seems sturdy!), then glued the doodads onto the frame and the treble clef onto the trumpet and VOILA! I will take a picture of it when it's hanging but right now the glue is drying.

I really like it.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
Kathryn, Really looks cool for the holidays...

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Very nice, Kathryn!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Kathryn, Really looks cool for the holidays...
Thank you!

I looked up this bugle online and apparently it's a 195-1925 or so British military bugle. Considering my love for British history, I find this really cool. And the fact that my dad found it for me and knew I'd love it makes it more dear to me. I felt like I had to do it justice if that makes sense.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you!

I looked up this bugle online and apparently it's a 195-1925 or so British military bugle. Considering my love for British history, I find this really cool. And the fact that my dad found it for me and knew I'd love it makes it more dear to me. I felt like I had to do it justice if that makes sense.
Then I guess y'all love me cause I'm British history....

Old 11-25-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK I just did a fun project.

My dad found an antique bugle at an estate sale and snagged it for me. I found an antique frame at a junk shop for about $10. Most of the other stuff I already had on hand - Christmas greenery, ribbons, ornaments, wire, hot glue gun...and an old pair of velvet pants that were sacrificed for the cause! (I think I had only worn them once and I bought them at Goodwill anyway so it didn't much matter.)

Anyway, I spiffed up the frame with some paint and goldleaf, then covered the backing with the velvet, then glued that into the frame, then attached the bugle to the backing by sticking wire through the backing (hope it holds - it seems sturdy!), then glued the doodads onto the frame and the treble clef onto the trumpet and VOILA! I will take a picture of it when it's hanging but right now the glue is drying.

I really like it.
I'm inspired by your creativity. That came out beautifully. I bet your father will be so proud to see his find transformed into a work of art.

I know you love a good can of spray paint as well as I do, so I'll tell you about my little discovery. I usually use Rustoleum Painters Touch, but Lowe's was out. I tried Valspar Perfect Touch Micromist, and I'm in love with the stuff.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I'm inspired by your creativity. That came out beautifully. I bet your father will be so proud to see his find transformed into a work of art.

I know you love a good can of spray paint as well as I do, so I'll tell you about my little discovery. I usually use Rustoleum Painters Touch, but Lowe's was out. I tried Valspar Perfect Touch Micromist, and I'm in love with the stuff.
EXCELLENT RECONNAISSANCE! Thank you!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM

Merry Christmas to Me...Merry Christmas to Me

I suggested one of these in another post and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted one for myself. It should be here today or tomorrow but may be a little late because of the weather related mess in the Dallas area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating