Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times

Advertisements

I'm usually more drawn to earthy colours so I have gone with reds and greens in our home. We just purchased a vacation home on a lake which has a very nautical feel so my colours there are blue, red and white. I'm playing up the blue and using the other colours sparingly but having a whole new colour pallet is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love those blue accents.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that rug in the living room is blue and the curtains & lamp shades match.

Cat

Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Nice pics, OP. I do like your blue accents. When we moved into this house, the blue in one of our paintings just popped in the light open space and we decided to play off of that. We are mostly using accent pieces that we already had but I'd like to add more. I love blue and white, but that doesn't work well in this house so I'm also trying to use deep orange with the blue.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
My caution on blue...something I consider when we use it in our home...is making sure it doesn't turn a room into a cheesy faux beach house space. Our guest room is borderline that. The walls are a combo of dark and medium blue and white. We tried to make sure the furnishings were neutral enough to offset/complement and we drew the line at using any cutesy word-walls or paintings.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am a sucker when it comes to blues, oranges and greens - preferably together. I realized today how many blue accents I have in my home. I don't know if blue is "in or out of style," but it seems like a classic color to me. Does anyone else love blue?

I like blue but I do not really have any of it in my house.

I have been wanting to change my LR from beige/brown/red/orange to beige/brown/blue for a long time but I don't want to pay for the new rug and pillows and tray.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Nice pics, OP. I do like your blue accents. When we moved into this house, the blue in one of our paintings just popped in the light open space and we decided to play off of that. We are mostly using accent pieces that we already had but I'd like to add more. I love blue and white, but that doesn't work well in this house so I'm also trying to use deep orange with the blue.
As you can tell, I love orange and blue together. I have blue and white in my master bath but I had to have more color in the rest of the house. But blue and white is simply classic - I always admire it when I see it.

Go for the orange!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I like blue but I do not really have any of it in my house.

I have been wanting to change my LR from beige/brown/red/orange to beige/brown/blue for a long time but I don't want to pay for the new rug and pillows and tray.
Gotta make that break at some point! LOL

Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
I am slowly liking blue. I used to hate it because it was my grandmother's favorite color. Nothing against grandma but she didn't feel comfortable decorating so everything she chose was blue. EVERYTHING. Remember the Sears catalog where it showed a whole room of one color? That is how my grandmother's house was lol. Blue carpet, blue walls, blue sofa and chairs, blue drapes...BLUE!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:59 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
I like a soft grayish blue in my bedroom, just gives me such a serene feeling. I have Benjamin Moore's "Beach Glass" in my current room (or maybe that's a blue-green?), and Sherwin Williams' "Rain" in my last house. Living areas I use the more neutral colors.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,941,311 times
I hated blue for over 50 years. All the blue rooms I saw were something that reminded me of grandma's house or were themed rooms. However just in the past year or so I have developed a crush on it especially when it is paired with a more neutral palette like cream and gray (and lots of texture in the decor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating