Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I hated blue for over 50 years. All the blue rooms I saw were something that reminded me of grandma's house or were themed rooms. However just in the past year or so I have developed a crush on it especially when it is paired with a more neutral palette like cream and gray (and lots of texture in the decor).
LOL I had to smile because I used to really dislike blue myself. I hated that "dusty blue" that was so popular in the 1980s. I loved green though. (Still do.)

But then I discovered cobalt blue and my world changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldamy984 View Post
I get attracted to blue constantly. Need to hold myself within proper limits now and again and not try too hard.

I know it's not a house thing, but rather Ford has another ish shading called Blue Jeans for some of their autos which I totally adore.

Orange is an awesome integral shading to blue.
I need to check that Blue Jeans color out because I've heard it mentioned several times as a great color for vehicles.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But then I discovered cobalt blue and my world changed.
Wanted to add that it's the cobalt blue that I like - not the turquoise shades that are popular now.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I'm going to paint my guest room a bright, beachy aqua. Does that count? That's as close as I get to liking blue. For years I had a Wedgewood blue bathroom, and that's kind of put me off.

I looked at a house years ago that was blue everywhere -- every room had blue wallpaper, the kitchen was blue, the carpets were blue -- ack!

As I look at my blue and green tablecloth ...

Old 09-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm going to paint my guest room a bright, beachy aqua. Does that count? That's as close as I get to liking blue. For years I had a Wedgewood blue bathroom, and that's kind of put me off.

I looked at a house years ago that was blue everywhere -- every room had blue wallpaper, the kitchen was blue, the carpets were blue -- ack!

As I look at my blue and green tablecloth ...
Aqua definitely counts as blue...or green! You get double points for that one.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 AM

Here's something sort of funny.

My mom has been very oppositional and inflammatory with me my entire life. Early on, it became apparent that I really liked the color blue. I mean, I think we're hardwired to like and dislike certain colors. I have always really been drawn to greens and blues, and I like them together too. (I never liked that powder blue that was popular in the 1980s though because I don't really like colors that are grayish).

Anyway, so when I would buy something blue - anything from a car to a piece of carnival glass - my mom ALWAYS would say something along the line of "I'd like it if it wasn't blue," or "Nice (fill in the blank) - the only thing I don't like about it is the color," or "Too bad you bought it in blue - it would look great in any other color." GRRRRRR.

Well, get this - she had a stroke that impacted her optic nerve and changed the way she perceives colors. Now, blue looks green to her! So she often buys me things (she loves to go to estate sales) like a jacket, or a glass jar, or an umbrella, anything really - and she thinks she's buying things that are green. But they're actually blue.

She recently gave me an antique candy dish and when she gave it to me, she actually said, "I know you like blue glass, but I thought this green dish was too pretty to pass up." It is blue.

I didn't bother correcting her! I just said, "Wow, Mom, thanks! I love it!"

Old 09-02-2016, 06:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Blues & reds-and of course blue & red makes purple.

My husband insist on white walls. I don't mind so I allow him to have that. But, we have blue molding.

These are just a few of the pics when the house was being painted.

Cat
Pretty!

Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM

I have a hanging of blue and white plates on a hallway wall. I clustered them together, and hung them in a sort of crescent shape.

I like blue. I like blue and white plates so much that I finally had to promise DH that I would not buy any more of them. The problem was not in owning them, but in hanging them!

I put two rooms of furniture together in my living room. I have written that I had to accommodate red leather and green leather pieces, and some older dark brown pieces. I am accessorizing in various blues, greeny blues and chambray blues. I don't know how it works, but it does seem to. And I have written about buying a blue flowered chair for the room. I identified the blue color in the chair: it is a grayed Prussian blue lightened with white. I found the color when I was browsing in the Benjamin Moore website.

In my laundry room I have my old blue bottle collection on top of the cabinets. That was another collection I had to stop with.

Yeah, I like blue.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:43 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I love blue too. I wanted to post some pictures, but I don't know how to do it on the ipad.
Anyway, I agree we may be hard wired to like certain colors.
I can't stand red and yellow next to each other, although i love both colors by themselves, and I adore orange. Go figure.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:10 PM

I discovered Impressionist painting in HS, and went gaga over the beautiful colors Monet and others used. Often the paintings used greens and blues together. I checked out every book in our HS library about French 19th Century painting! But I loved the Impressionists best of all.

I think that falling in love feeling has stayed with me for those greens and blues. But I also adore clear blues and darker, cobalt blues. However, in my wall arrangement around my TV screen, the single color in all the pieces is green. But if you ask me what my favorite color is, I will say blue every time.

In the 1980s I owned a bright blue suit which I loved wearing. In my memory it was close to this color:

Dark Royal Blue 2065-20 Paint - Benjamin Moore Dark Royal Blue Paint Color Details

I believe I accessorized it with yellow. It was the '80s!

But I really love denims and chambrays and blue grays too. I am wearing a chambray shirt and denim jeans as I type this response out.

My favorite jewelry is turquoise. I wear it with my denim and chambray. And everything else.

I even own two pair of blue shoes.

My front door is painted blue.

You get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating