Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Houston is one of the most lush cities in America. The winter months things are still pretty green and never noticed overly cloudy/dreary days either.
Really? Houston seems very gray during the winter to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it over snow/cold but I’d hardly call the days beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Really? Houston seems very gray during the winter to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it over snow/cold but I’d hardly call the days beautiful.
It's less gray than most areas. There's also plenty of rain in Houston during those months to keep things more green than other place. South Florida and the West are the only places with more sun during the winter.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:50 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If you remember I previously did a thread asking why Houston is not a snowbird destination. The answers were varied.

However, it does seem to me that very few seem to hold Houston's climate in high regard despite the warm winter temperatures. Houston has comparable winter average (although not extreme) temperatures to Phoenix, and is warmer on average than places such as Jacksonville, Florida.

So, do you think Houston's climate is underrated?
Our winter rains more than either of the other places you mentioned. Winter and sunny is significantly better than winter and rainy.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:57 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
And like I said: that very mentality, both direct and indirect, is exactly what precludes the city from achieving those "exciting" experiences you keep referring to.

Right, no need to state that obvious fact for the sake of it.
You are the one who brought up Arizona and Florida. West Texas is just a dry and arid as Arizona. All I was saying was you don't have to leave the state to find desert environments.

Welp, don't know how to change the mentality to create more exciting experiences. Chicken and the egg...something has to come first. Why isn't it the other way around....boring experiences that lead to the mentality? When I moved here from Austin after college, I was excited to live here. It was nice, and different, interesting. Until it wasn't. Everyone can get bored with a place.

And I would bet that at least 80% of the people that say how underrated Houston's weather is came here from a northern state or a place that has a lot of snow. No place is perfect, but some people don't like heat and humidity, while others don't like cold and snow.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Our winter rains more than either of the other places you mentioned. Winter and sunny is significantly better than winter and rainy.
Frequency is what matters, not amount. You can have loads of rain concentrated to 5-6 days, and still have plenty of sun to spare for the month.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM

472 posts, read 335,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The only place in America that has perfect weather is the Los Angeles Basin, the East Bay area (Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Hayward), or coastal San Diego. Everywhere else in America doesn't compare and you're just splitting hairs between having a hot/humid summer or a frigid winter.
Don’t forget Hawaii.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
You are the one who brought up Arizona and Florida.
No, the OP did.

Quote:
All I was saying was you don't have to leave the state to find desert environments.
Never said that you had to...

Quote:
Welp, don't know how to change the mentality to create more exciting experiences. Chicken and the egg...something has to come first. Why isn't it the other way around....boring experiences that lead to the mentality? When I moved here from Austin after college, I was excited to live here. It was nice, and different, interesting. Until it wasn't. Everyone can get bored with a place.
I'm speaking about circumstances in general, not referring to you specifically. Don't take things so personal.

Quote:
And I would bet that at least 80% of the people that say how underrated Houston's weather is came here from a northern state or a place that has a lot of snow. No place is perfect, but some people don't like heat and humidity, while others don't like cold and snow.
Obviously...

Old 07-31-2019, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 14,793 times
Quote:
On the contrary, those seasons are very nice in Houston and the coastal South, much nicer than the rest of the country outside of portions of the Desert Southwest. Very solid, stable warmth, not much (if any) worry about deep cold snaps or severe thunderstorms/tornadoes to ruin things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Don’t forget Hawaii.
Ugh Hawaii weather is perfect.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Don’t forget Hawaii.
Yeah Hawaii is great, especially in the winter. It's second after what's offered in California.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Quote:
Frequency is what matters, not amount. You can have loads of rain concentrated to 5-6 days, and still have plenty of sun to spare for the month.
And Phoenix rains less frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston