Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 05:30 PM

472 posts, read 335,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If you want to talk about Climate Change, do so in one of the threads you created. Not every single thread on here has to do with that. You keep trying to steer every thread you take part in back to Global Warming. Its getting old fast.
Not a snowball’s chance in hell, my friend.

First of all, I occasionally bring up ecological issues in discussions of Houston planning issues...because that’s what much of the urban planning community does. Go to any other urban planning site on the internet and you’ll see constant mention in news stories, blog commentaries, and discussions of global and local ecological issues including use of plastics, pesticides, fresh water, energy, etc. Some cities have enacted plastic bag bans. Other cities have enacted tree protection ordinances. Most major cities are setting sustainability goals (yes, they include greenhouse gas emissions reductions targets). Global and local ecological issues include biodiversity, air quality, ocean health, sea level rise, temperature rise, storm patterns, atmospheric patterns, etc. They all tie into urban planning issues, whether it’s a discussion over zoning or public transit or what-have-you.

Maybe you personally work at an energy company, and maybe you follow conservative media outlets. But I don’t fit into either category. Nor should I apologize for not fitting into either category. I am simply your neighbor in the Houston area, and I follow ecological news, especially as it relates to urban planning issues, and it naturally comes up in discussions about Houston from time to time. As it should. And that won’t change. I’m sorry. Consider it an opportunity to hear from viewpoints you wouldn’t otherwise hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Maybe you personally work at an energy company, and maybe you follow conservative media outlets. But I don’t fit into either category. Nor should I apologize for not fitting into either category. I am simply your neighbor in the Houston area, and I follow ecological news, especially as it relates to urban planning issues, and it naturally comes up in discussions about Houston from time to time. As it should. And that won’t change. I’m sorry. Consider it an opportunity to hear from viewpoints you wouldn’t otherwise hear.
Youre full of it.

I dont watch conservative outlets and I dont work for an energy company. I vote for Democrats mostly and yes I believe in man caused climate change.

I feel about immigrants rights and I oppose the death penalty the same way youre passionate about global warming. BUT I DONT BRING IT INTO EVERY THREAD. If someone asks what the pros and cons are of living in Fargo, Im not going to drone on about the evils of the death penalty or the need to have immigration reform. Thats what you doing: inserting it to derail conversations when its irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Thats why I said to say all your going to say but do it in a thread you started about the topic at hand. Dont derail other conversations.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
The climate is fine the environment not so much

Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM

472 posts, read 335,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Youre full of it.
I dont watch conservative outlets and I dont work for an energy company. I vote for Democrats mostly and yes I believe in man caused climate change.
I feel about immigrants rights and I oppose the death penalty the same way youre passionate about global warming. BUT I DONT BRING IT INTO EVERY THREAD. If someone asks what the pros and cons are of living in Fargo, Im not going to drone on about the evils of the death penalty or the need to have immigration reform. Thats what you doing: inserting it to derail conversations when its irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Thats why I said to say all your going to say but do it in a thread you started about the topic at hand. Dont derail other conversations.
There’s no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. You voiced your point and it has been heard.

It’s worth saying that we should all try to broach environmental subjects with some degree of sensitivity. They can be controversial. It’s the same with subjects of race and economic inequality and so on. If I occasionally mention ecological issues too often and it offends or upsets someone, then I apologize.

(And just wait until I go through a phase where I interpret everything through the lens of late-stage capitalism! That gets even more fun!)

Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,819 times
I love how it is assumed that if you work for an energy company that you don’t care about the environment. WOW.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I love how it is assumed that if you work for an energy company that you don’t care about the environment. WOW.
I know, right? Almost like solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear aren't forms of energy...

Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm a native Houstonian. I've never been fond of our summers, but accept them - they don't make me completely miserable. The worst is how the humidity limits nighttime temperature drops and makes early mornings so steamy. My favorite time of day in the summer is late afternoon / early evening when the humidity is at its lowest, even if the temps are still high. Still, late May until late September is something you just get through. So, that's 4 months of discomfort.

I'll still take that over places in the low desert (Phoenix, Palm Springs) where summer temps regularly go to 105+. Even if the humidity is low, that's just an oven. And in the cities, the temps don't cool off that much at night either. Plus, I do like at least a little green in my environment, and when you see green in those places, you can't help but think about how much precious water is being used for that, so it's hard to enjoy.

I'm fine with the "high desert" places where midsummer temps are 90 - 100 and humidity is low. Fort Davis or Sedona, for example. Plus, there's usually a little bit more flora in the environment (grass, shrubs, junipers, pinyon pine etc.) to soften things visually.

I lived for two years in my tweens overseas in a northern maritime climate where there were endless gray days and it was raining probably at least 30% of the time. NEVER AGAIN. After having spent my early childhood in Houston, it was an incredibly depressing shock. I could not be happy in a Seattle / Portland-type environment, even though they have great scenery. It also biases me against the northern Great Plains, Midwest, and Northeast, where supposedly (going off hearsay), you hardly see the sun all winter. Houston has some grey days during winter, but it feels unusual if they stretch more than a few days at a time. And having to don/doff clothes to go in and out of buildings gets irritating fast. My body runs hot, so I'm not someone that can keep winter-type clothes on indoors much.
Just came back from the Phoenix area. It doesn't have the suffocating feel of the Houston humidity. It simply kills you. Its just a dangerous heat.

And San Fran to Seattle are just miserably grey. The October to April weather is very nice in Houston. Mid-May to Mid September you just have to acclimate to.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Just came back from the Phoenix area. It doesn't have the suffocating feel of the Houston humidity. It simply kills you. Its just a dangerous heat.

And San Fran to Seattle are just miserably grey. The October to April weather is very nice in Houston. Mid-May to Mid September you just have to acclimate to.
What was the high temp in Phoenix? For humans, when temps go above 105, it is dangerous, period - your body's moisture evaporates very quickly, which yes has a cooling effect, but doesn't take long at all to have very dangerous loss of hydration. You have to be quite careful. And of course many surfaces (especially metal) become exceedingly hot and can burn you immediately.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What was the high temp in Phoenix? For humans, when temps go above 105, it is dangerous, period - your body's moisture evaporates very quickly, which yes has a cooling effect, but doesn't take long at all to have very dangerous loss of hydration. You have to be quite careful. And of course many surfaces (especially metal) become exceedingly hot and can burn you immediately.
I took this driving through arizona on our way to Disneyland on a stretch of I-10. Not sure what the heat index was. This was a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Houston's climate underrated?-e16f3349-bb7f-42dc-91ca-9c93a60d9bbd.jpeg  

Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I took this driving through arizona on our way to Disneyland on a stretch of I-10. Not sure what the heat index was. This was a few weeks ago.
Off topic but how was Star Wars galaxy’s edge at Disneyland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston