Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:31 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Frequency is what matters, not amount. You can have loads of rain concentrated to 5-6 days, and still have plenty of sun to spare for the month.
I like the rain in the winter, the cloud cover doesn't bother me much to be honest. It's a welcome change from the summer. But I lived in LA (too dry except for the winter), DC (too cold, and doesn't snow enough to be as cold as it is), and Austin/Dallas (about the same, except a bit colder). I like heat and humidity and the huge storms. If it was never under 50 degrees here, it would be nearly perfect. For me, Houston is a great climate - lots of rain, lots of sun, lots of humidity. I'm a big fan of basically the entire Gulf Coast's climate, all the way from Texas to Florida.

But I realize that I'm definitely in the minority here. Most people definitely don't like our climate. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 11:42 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
And Phoenix rains less frequently.
As it should be for a desert. Obviously...

Old 08-01-2019, 04:48 PM

472 posts, read 335,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I like heat and humidity
Lucky duck. My guess is it’s partly genetic. The folks here who come from generations of folks who lived in hot, humid climates seem to have an in-born adaptation.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:47 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
I'm speaking about circumstances in general, not referring to you specifically. Don't take things so personal..
Point taken about Arizona and Florida, my mistake, I didn’t read back far enough.

I’m not taking things personally - although all we have to experience this world are our own experiences...so...that’s the example I provided.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 PM

220 posts, read 172,571 times
This summer has not been bad at all this year. I've moved to Houston several decades ago from Central California, and I definitely can say that I like the humidity with the heat.

In Central California the dry heat can reach 106+ temperatures and to top it off everything looks soo dry and dead. It makes everything look dirty and dying. In Houston the greenery remains year around and the frequent thunderstorms clean and washes and enlivens everything.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
Lucky duck. My guess is it’s partly genetic. The folks here who come from generations of folks who lived in hot, humid climates seem to have an in-born adaptation.
I’m not from here but I actually share that sentiment. I’m fine with the humidity. I HATE dry heat.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
I'm a native Houstonian. I've never been fond of our summers, but accept them - they don't make me completely miserable. The worst is how the humidity limits nighttime temperature drops and makes early mornings so steamy. My favorite time of day in the summer is late afternoon / early evening when the humidity is at its lowest, even if the temps are still high. Still, late May until late September is something you just get through. So, that's 4 months of discomfort.

I'll still take that over places in the low desert (Phoenix, Palm Springs) where summer temps regularly go to 105+. Even if the humidity is low, that's just an oven. And in the cities, the temps don't cool off that much at night either. Plus, I do like at least a little green in my environment, and when you see green in those places, you can't help but think about how much precious water is being used for that, so it's hard to enjoy.

I'm fine with the "high desert" places where midsummer temps are 90 - 100 and humidity is low. Fort Davis or Sedona, for example. Plus, there's usually a little bit more flora in the environment (grass, shrubs, junipers, pinyon pine etc.) to soften things visually.

I lived for two years in my tweens overseas in a northern maritime climate where there were endless gray days and it was raining probably at least 30% of the time. NEVER AGAIN. After having spent my early childhood in Houston, it was an incredibly depressing shock. I could not be happy in a Seattle / Portland-type environment, even though they have great scenery. It also biases me against the northern Great Plains, Midwest, and Northeast, where supposedly (going off hearsay), you hardly see the sun all winter. Houston has some grey days during winter, but it feels unusual if they stretch more than a few days at a time. And having to don/doff clothes to go in and out of buildings gets irritating fast. My body runs hot, so I'm not someone that can keep winter-type clothes on indoors much.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:28 PM

472 posts, read 335,721 times
The future is going to be all space suits anyways. Here on Earth. With the climate and all.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
The future is going to be all space suits anyways. Here on Earth. With the climate and all.
If you want to talk about Climate Change, do so in one of the threads you created. Not every single thread on here has to do with that. You keep trying to steer every thread you take part in back to Global Warming. Its getting old fast.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 PM

391 posts, read 424,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm a native Houstonian. I've never been fond of our summers, but accept them - they don't make me completely miserable. The worst is how the humidity limits nighttime temperature drops and makes early mornings so steamy. My favorite time of day in the summer is late afternoon / early evening when the humidity is at its lowest, even if the temps are still high. Still, late May until late September is something you just get through. So, that's 4 months of discomfort.

I'll still take that over places in the low desert (Phoenix, Palm Springs) where summer temps regularly go to 105+. Even if the humidity is low, that's just an oven. And in the cities, the temps don't cool off that much at night either. Plus, I do like at least a little green in my environment, and when you see green in those places, you can't help but think about how much precious water is being used for that, so it's hard to enjoy.

I'm fine with the "high desert" places where midsummer temps are 90 - 100 and humidity is low. Fort Davis or Sedona, for example. Plus, there's usually a little bit more flora in the environment (grass, shrubs, junipers, pinyon pine etc.) to soften things visually.

I lived for two years in my tweens overseas in a northern maritime climate where there were endless gray days and it was raining probably at least 30% of the time. NEVER AGAIN. After having spent my early childhood in Houston, it was an incredibly depressing shock. I could not be happy in a Seattle / Portland-type environment, even though they have great scenery. It also biases me against the northern Great Plains, Midwest, and Northeast, where supposedly (going off hearsay), you hardly see the sun all winter. Houston has some grey days during winter, but it feels unusual if they stretch more than a few days at a time. And having to don/doff clothes to go in and out of buildings gets irritating fast. My body runs hot, so I'm not someone that can keep winter-type clothes on indoors much.

That helps bring some perspective. I don't think I could handle London/Seattle weather at all. Dreary gray days sap all of my energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston