Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 10:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
A 3500w generator like ours starts around $300. If we ever decide to upgrade it would NOT be to a bigger generator, but instead to a ~3500w inverter generator. These are quieter than regular generators, use less fuel, and put out "clean" power that has a lower chance of damaging electronics (although the "dirty" power from our old-fashioned generator didn't seem to hurt anything).

This experience provided a good test of what a 3500w generator could run. In our case, it included the lights (mostly LED), two fridges, plus any two of the following at the same time:
-Furnace (gas)
-Coffee pot
-Toaster oven
-Microwave

Quieter is good. During Ike I went half mad listening to the neighbors run their loud generators 24/7 for three weeks. I often fantasized how to best destroy it in the middle of the night. I don't want to be "that guy".

Given the furnace is running almost continuously in such a freeze, I guess it's any one of the remaining three items. Which isn't that hard since they are manually operated devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Yeah, I felt a little bad about the noise. Thankfully most of our immediate neighbors were either running their own generators or had an extension cord plugged into our house so they could charge phones and run a couple of lights.

I also shut the generator down overnight and restarted it early each morning.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 27,212 times
If you turn off the water at main valve or at the meter and then drain the faucets, will there be any adverse effects on you house? Like for example, will anything happen to the water heater?

Old 02-22-2021, 01:07 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwmik View Post
If you turn off the water at main valve or at the meter and then drain the faucets, will there be any adverse effects on you house? Like for example, will anything happen to the water heater?
You want to turn your water heater off (or down to pilot/vacation mode) any time you lose water to your house. Otherwise it boils and can damage your hot water heater. I lost a water heater prematurely a few years back because of it.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 PM

814 posts, read 676,477 times
This thread has me wondering if a simple hook up to my gas furnace would work. It's in the attic and plugs into a regular 120VAC receptacle to run its fan/igniter.

My question is do I need to power my smart thermostat with anything additional or does it run off the furnace. (it has no battery)

A little research tells me that I do need to bond the ground and neutral if using an inverter generator since the furnace needs a real ground for the igniter system.

Last edited by resonator; 02-23-2021 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 10:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
That's a really good point.
Did Centerpoint ever shut off gas to homes this time around or in past outages.
I am just outside Houston,gas was never shut off.
but how do you heat the water pipes in the attic,there are many pipes there some metal some pcb>,the metal one broke.
also we have water heater up there and the furnace as well,since gas is not shut off,it is keeping the water in the water heater hot and should generate heat in the attic,but pipes still burst

Old 02-23-2021, 10:20 PM

YEARS ago Center Point Energy paired up with a local company to offer installing generator with a small discount.
It offers 2 sizes.
I took up the offer and a guy came and like the previous poster said,it would need a concrete slab to sit on and other stuff as well,the cost if I remember comes to under $10k,thats like ten years ago.for a small generatorMay be it will offer again.
also thru Homeserve there is insurance to cover water heater and pipes.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 PM

you can use a plyer to turn off the water valve ,my neighbor did that for me,there are two,one for each house

Old 02-23-2021, 10:23 PM

I used my Sony Walkman to listen to weather ,it is also a good idea to have a radio ,flashlight and an old fashion landline phone which requires no electricity.
candles,tapered ones cost 77 cents each,those fancy ones in a jar ,you could have problem when the wick falls off or burnt off.
Canned carnation milk,dry powder milk,SPAM,tuna.
ALSO get some hardboiled eggs while you still have water and gas

Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I used my Sony Walkman to listen to weather ,it is also a good idea to have a radio ,flashlight and an old fashion landline phone which requires no electricity.
candles,tapered ones cost 77 cents each,those fancy ones in a jar ,you could have problem when the wick falls off or burnt off.
Canned carnation milk,dry powder milk,SPAM,tuna.
ALSO get some hardboiled eggs while you still have water and gas
I would add peanut butter and crackers. Many people will have some way to boil water such as gas stove, sterno, grill, camp stove, fireplace, etc. I would keep hot tea, hot chocolate, apple cider mix, ramen noodles and easy to fix stuff like that. It will help warm you up. I've made coffee before with hot water and a paper towel, but that may not be for everyone. You could keep instant coffee and creamer if you drink them. Make sure you have some disposable plates and cups because you may not have water for washing dishes.

If you have a way to warm up water, I was thinking a couple of the hot water bottles that you fill with heated, but non boiling water for sore muscles would really come in handy. It could warm you up in some places better than a blanket. Also hand and feet warmers... especially for those people who don't have access to a generator for electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston