Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 02:53 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,536,161 times

Advertisements

Are you ready? Super freeze is coming this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:26 PM

9,949 posts, read 6,659,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Are you ready? Super freeze is coming this week!
I’ll go order me some Magellan gloves. Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-18-2022, 05:05 PM

I don't know...Was planning to travel out of state this Thursday. But 10F Thursday night sounds quite scary. Maybe I should stay to protect my house. Don't want to come back and see the house flooded. But this is supposed to be one extreme night. Friday night should be around 20F. If I open all the faucets to drip. But I am not sure about the line that goes to the water heater.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:39 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,248,969 times
I don't mind the occasional light or even hard freeze, but I absolutely HATE this type of deep freeze. Throws a HUGE onerous monkey wrench and will make our vegetation ugly for many months on end, not to mention expensive pipe & home damage for those going out of town, especially if power is lost.

We put up with unbearable summer heat for 100+ days a year, and once every 2-4 years get these horrific cold snaps for just a few days that Houston vegetation looks so much less subtropical than even New Orelans. Sucks.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know...Was planning to travel out of state this Thursday. But 10F Thursday night sounds quite scary. Maybe I should stay to protect my house. Don't want to come back and see the house flooded. But this is supposed to be one extreme night. Friday night should be around 20F. If I open all the faucets to drip. But I am not sure about the line that goes to the water heater.
Where are you seeing 10F? I'm seeing 18F, which is bad enough. 10F is worse than the 14F of Feb 2021 and 1F from tying all time record of 9F.

10F would kill native vegetation and even many St. Aug lawns.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Read that dripping a faucet at 1 drip/sec will flow about 5 gallons/day. It adds up, but keeps it flowing. Maybe 3 faucets dripping should be good.

Keep the heat on at a reasonable temp. If you don't lose power, in house pipes should be fine.

Good news is that the coldest night should be hours after a warm Thursday in the 60s, so it takes time for anything insulated to drop. I'm much more concerned about Sat morning, if Friday stays cold during the day.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,261,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Read that dripping a faucet at 1 drip/sec will flow about 5 gallons/day. It adds up, but keeps it flowing. Maybe 3 faucets dripping should be good.
And people use about a gallon to brush their teeth or wash their face, and showers run at 2 gallons per minute. Point is, 5 gallons in a day is trivial both in cost and demand on the system. However, it is astronomically cheaper than repairing a busted frozen pipe. That's why I ignore the clueless southern authorities who tell the people not to leave the faucets dripping for their once a year freeze.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Where are you seeing 10F? I'm seeing 18F, which is bad enough. 10F is worse than the 14F of Feb 2021 and 1F from tying all time record of 9F.

10F would kill native vegetation and even many St. Aug lawns.
AccuWeather is showing 10 in my aria.
Actually it was showing 8 north of my area near Tomball today.

Quote:

Keep the heat on at a reasonable temp. If you don't lose power, in house pipes should be fine.

Good news is that the coldest night should be hours after a warm Thursday in the 60s, so it takes time for anything insulated to drop. I'm much more concerned about Sat morning, if Friday stays cold during the day.
Yes I am counting on Thursday warmer temps to protect it from freezing. Friday night should be alright I guess. Just turn the heater to 60+

Old 12-18-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
AccuWeather is showing 10 in my aria.
Actually it was showing 8 north of my area near Tomball today.

Yes I am counting on Thursday warmer temps to protect it from freezing. Friday night should be alright I guess. Just turn the heater to 60+
NWS is showing 18 for most burbs, 17 in Tomball, and 16 out further. Not seeing anything close to 8 until getting up to DFW area with NWS.

But good grief, AccuWeather is indeed showing 8 for Tomball. That is WORSE than Feb 2021. It is showing 16 for our area. That would really suck.

Yes, 5 gallons is nothing - was just trying to illustrate that it would make sense to drip at least 3-4 faucets to get a decent flow at the mains.

Hope and pray we don't lose power. That would really suck.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:38 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,532,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And people use about a gallon to brush their teeth or wash their face, and showers run at 2 gallons per minute. Point is, 5 gallons in a day is trivial both in cost and demand on the system. However, it is astronomically cheaper than repairing a busted frozen pipe. That's why I ignore the clueless southern authorities who tell the people not to leave the faucets dripping for their once a year freeze.
My water softener is outside, so if I let water stand in that during a freeze it would be a huge repair bill. You better believe I'll be dripping my faucets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston