Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 07:47 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,253,487 times

Advertisements

If you’re going out of town, turn off your water at the meter and thoroughly drain all your lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 07:51 AM

15,627 posts, read 7,665,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
My water softener is outside, so if I let water stand in that during a freeze it would be a huge repair bill. You better believe I'll be dripping my faucets!
Our softener is outside as well. During the 2021 freeze, we did nothing to protect the tanks, as they do not need to be protected. The pipes are all insulated, though, which is all you really need to do. Ice is only an issue if there's no room for expansion.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:08 AM

335 posts, read 265,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
If you’re going out of town, turn off your water at the meter and thoroughly drain all your lines.
I have a shutoff valve outside my house, next to an exterior spigot. Is it sufficient to turn that off and drain the lines? Don’t think I have the tool to open the box that holds the meter near the curb.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:21 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,389,624 times
Almost 2 years since the original post
I wrapped my pipes with insulation
But I haven’t don’t anything else

Old 12-19-2022, 08:24 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,253,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
I have a shutoff valve outside my house, next to an exterior spigot. Is it sufficient to turn that off and drain the lines? Don’t think I have the tool to open the box that holds the meter near the curb.
That will at least protect the house. Drain at the low points, which is usually at the first floor bathtubs.

However the underground line from the meter to the house will still be pressurized, and could spring a leak. You won’t know it until you get a very muddy spot in your yard.

I don’t think you need any special tool to open the meter. Once you’re inside you can use a $5 set of vise grips to close the water valve at the meter. Usually it only takes a quarter turn and you’re done.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:33 AM

15,627 posts, read 7,665,795 times
Quote:
Yes, that's sufficient. It will not be cold enough long enough to freeze the water in the underground pipe. If you have a sprinkler system, make sure you drain the brass air gap that's located somewhere near the house.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 10,317 times
We will be out of town when the freeze hits. I plan to shut off the main valve, drain and insulate the back flow preventer and turn the water heaters to pilot (vacation mode). I will drain the cold water lines, however, should I drain the hot water lines as well?
TIA

Old 12-19-2022, 10:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,389,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
We will be out of town when the freeze hits. I plan to shut off the main valve, drain and insulate the back flow preventer and turn the water heaters to pilot (vacation mode). I will drain the cold water lines, however, should I drain the hot water lines as well?
TIA
Yes, the water in that line is not moving and also will freeze

Old 12-19-2022, 10:46 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,308,608 times
Quote:
That's a lot better than nothing (it protects your house from major damage) but keep in mind you are responsible for the lines from the meter so if the line from the meter to your shutoff valve freezes and breaks, it's on your dime.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:48 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,308,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
That will at least protect the house. Drain at the low points, which is usually at the first floor bathtubs.

However the underground line from the meter to the house will still be pressurized, and could spring a leak. You won’t know it until you get a very muddy spot in your yard.

I don’t think you need any special tool to open the meter. Once you’re inside you can use a $5 set of vise grips to close the water valve at the meter. Usually it only takes a quarter turn and you’re done.
In advance, make sure the meter box is clear of mud and leaves and other debris. You'll have a tough time shutting it off if it is covered with frozen mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston