Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2024, 10:40 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,048,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
LyondellBassell will be transferring an estimated 1,300 employees from their downtown office at 1 Houston Center to the Williams Tower in Uptown.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...nd%20expansion

Bigger loss for Downtown or win for Uptown?
Much bigger loss for downtown, especially since LyondellBassell literally just completed a renovation of their downtown offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 02:04 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,082,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Much bigger loss for downtown, especially since LyondellBassell literally just completed a renovation of their downtown offices.
Agreed. The trickle of companies from Downtown westward continues...

Old 04-30-2024, 02:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 6,689,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Agreed. The trickle of companies from Downtown westward continues...
Right. The only 2 major expansions/relocations downtown I can think of since the pandemic are JPMorgan Chase (expansions) and Hines (relocations). Hines and LyondellBasell traded hoods thought Hines has less than half of Lyondell’s footprint.

The next major question will be Chevron. They acquired that land in Bridgeland, I wouldn’t be surprised if they make the move North just like ExxonMobil. Chevron eill be a harder building to convert to residential than ExxonMobil

Old 05-01-2024, 08:37 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,978,781 times
Quote:
Right. The only 2 major expansions/relocations downtown I can think of since the pandemic are JPMorgan Chase (expansions) and Hines (relocations). Hines and LyondellBasell traded hoods thought Hines has less than half of Lyondell’s footprint.

The next major question will be Chevron. They acquired that land in Bridgeland, I wouldn’t be surprised if they make the move North just like ExxonMobil. Chevron eill be a harder building to convert to residential than ExxonMobil
In general, I expect firms that aren't in the legal or finance sectors to migrate westward or northward out of Downtown and Greenway (the latter was *really* lucky Oxy stayed there). Uptown may receive some of this migration, but it's only a partial replacement for non-legal or finance firms that have already migrated west like Apache and Bechtel.

The big problem is that so much of the professional workforce outside of legal and finance seems to want to live in the outermost suburbs, not the inner or middle suburbs. It was easier for firms to locate in Downtown, Greenway and Uptown when its workforce mostly lived inside SH 6 / south of Spring Cypress Rd. Now lots of their folks live outside the Grand Parkway.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
In general, I expect firms that aren't in the legal or finance sectors to migrate westward or northward out of Downtown and Greenway (the latter was *really* lucky Oxy stayed there). Uptown may receive some of this migration, but it's only a partial replacement for non-legal or finance firms that have already migrated west like Apache and Bechtel.

The big problem is that so much of the professional workforce outside of legal and finance seems to want to live in the outermost suburbs, not the inner or middle suburbs. It was easier for firms to locate in Downtown, Greenway and Uptown when its workforce mostly lived inside SH 6 / south of Spring Cypress Rd. Now lots of their folks live outside the Grand Parkway.
JPMorgan has a big internship program right there. I doubt thats reason stay there but they certainly take advantage of their proximity to UH and Rice. But even in finance there’s been relocations to Uptown. You’re right that law is another notable one that’s skewed downtown. And of course city services will probably stay downtown for a very long time.

But like I said, all eyes are on Chevron. That will be the next game changing potential move. At least JPMorgan, KBR, Centerpoint, Accenture, United and Enterprise are probably staying put for a while.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:22 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,978,781 times
Quote:
JPMorgan has a big internship program right there. I doubt thats reason stay there but they certainly take advantage of their proximity to UH and Rice. But even in finance there’s been relocations to Uptown. You’re right that law is another notable one that’s skewed downtown. And of course city services will probably stay downtown for a very long time.

But like I said, all eyes are on Chevron. That will be the next game changing potential move. At least JPMorgan, KBR, Centerpoint, Accenture, United and Enterprise are probably staying put for a while.
Yeah Chevron is one to watch. However, they own their Downtown properties, not a lease. Not a good time to sell legacy office buildings these days, so financially it would be a hit for them (of course I don't know how much they might have written down the property value already on their books), if that matters. They may care more about keeping employees happy, and you can bet a whole lot of them live in the Katy / Cypress areas.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah Chevron is one to watch. However, they own their Downtown properties, not a lease. Not a good time to sell legacy office buildings these days, so financially it would be a hit for them (of course I don't know how much they might have written down the property value already on their books), if that matters. They may care more about keeping employees happy, and you can bet a whole lot of them live in the Katy / Cypress areas.
Well what Chevron would make in a sale of that building would be negligible to their profit in their business particularly in the past 4 years. I would certainly think that from a business perspective, keeping employees happy pays off more in the long run.m. Besides, they have the option to keep the building and try to lease it out while holding on to that asset as well

Old 05-02-2024, 02:55 PM

15,589 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Quote:
Well what Chevron would make in a sale of that building would be negligible to their profit in their business particularly in the past 4 years. I would certainly think that from a business perspective, keeping employees happy pays off more in the long run.m. Besides, they have the option to keep the building and try to lease it out while holding on to that asset as well
Chevron owns two towers in Downtown plus the old YMCA property and the 1900 block of Milam where the Houston Press was located. They are not moving anytime soon.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Chevron owns two towers in Downtown plus the old YMCA property and the 1900 block of Milam where the Houston Press was located. They are not moving anytime soon.
Chevron is a $300 billion company. They could move if they wanted to despite the downtown assets. I don’t believe they purchased the land in Bridgeland for nothing. The potential to move is there

Old 05-02-2024, 04:17 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,082,042 times
Quote:
Chevron is a $300 billion company. They could move if they wanted to despite the downtown assets. I don’t believe they purchased the land in Bridgeland for nothing. The potential to move is there
I agree, it would not shock me if they did eventually make the move to Bridgeland. With that being said, I can't imagine they'd do it without significantly increasing their footprint, in other words for something like an HQ relo. And I don't think they're in a hurry for any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston