Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:12 PM

9,986 posts, read 6,692,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I agree, it would not shock me if they did eventually make the move to Bridgeland. With that being said, I can't imagine they'd do it without significantly increasing their footprint, in other words for something like an HQ relo. And I don't think they're in a hurry for any of that.
I don’t think they’d need to do that to move. What I could see happening is that they move in phases and test it out first before moving everyone at once. Sort of like Exxon did. I think a headquarters move would only require a few hundred jobs anyway. Similar to Exxon

But yeah im definitely not saying they’re moving for sure. Just that the move is entirely possible and a realistic scenario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 08:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 7,625,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I agree, it would not shock me if they did eventually make the move to Bridgeland. With that being said, I can't imagine they'd do it without significantly increasing their footprint, in other words for something like an HQ relo. And I don't think they're in a hurry for any of that.
The Bridgeland property is 65 acres in essentially the middle of nowhere. I can see moving a HQ out there, but not the thousands of people working downtown. The Bridgeland is too far from places like Pearland, where lots of folks live. Chevron also has the Noble Energy building out off of 290.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:11 AM

Right next to the M-K-T Heights, the Swift Building will be reimagined into a mixed used block.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:42 AM

5,646 posts, read 4,980,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The Bridgeland property is 65 acres in essentially the middle of nowhere. I can see moving a HQ out there, but not the thousands of people working downtown. The Bridgeland is too far from places like Pearland, where lots of folks live. Chevron also has the Noble Energy building out off of 290.
Exxon had a whole bunch of folks downtown too, as well as on Buffalo Speedway.

There are probably some employees living in Pearland and the Bay Area, but engineers are disproportionately residentially located to the southwest, west, and north over to Kingwood. And in Houston, engineers are disproportionately tied to the energy industry.

Don't forget that engineers also like to have chances to hop around employers, and energy employers have been concentrating in Westchase and the Energy Corridor. So, living in Katy and Cypress is helpful for career options.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

There are probably some employees living in Pearland and the Bay Area, but engineers are disproportionately residentially located to the southwest, west, and north over to Kingwood. And in Houston, engineers are disproportionately tied to the energy industry.

Don't forget that engineers also like to have chances to hop around employers, and energy employers have been concentrating in Westchase and the Energy Corridor. So, living in Katy and Cypress is helpful for career options.
Agree with everything here. It’s worth noting though, that the engineering ties have diversified a lot since the pandemic in such a short time

ExxonMobil is a similar story. Lots of downtown assets. They packed up and left though to WRM’s point, their land was over 300 acres. But they had jobs scattered and ultimately pulled the plug and considlidated everything in the far north. It’s too early to predict a chevron move but it’s not something we’d be surprised to hear.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:23 AM

15,590 posts, read 7,625,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Agree with everything here. It’s worth noting though, that the engineering ties have diversified a lot since the pandemic in such a short time

ExxonMobil is a similar story. Lots of downtown assets. They packed up and left though to WRM’s point, their land was over 300 acres. But they had jobs scattered and ultimately pulled the plug and considlidated everything in the far north. It’s too early to predict a chevron move but it’s not something we’d be surprised to hear.
Exxon had people in 800 Bell, but had given up all of the leased space in Downtown. There were offices on Buffalo Speedway at the research center and at Greenway. Exxon chemicals was out I-10 at Eldridge. There were more at Brookhollow at 290 and Dacoma. The largest concentration, though, was at Greenspoint, where Exxon occupied all or parts of 6 buildings, a building on Greens Road, and a building near the airport. When the new campus opened, all of those offices were sold or given up and the employees moved to the campus.

Chevron has a ton of employees, including engineers, near Baytown. If those engineers get moved from the plants into an office, they are not going to be thrilled to be driving to 290 and 99.

I am just skeptical that Chevron would give up the Downtown properties and move everyone to a 65 acre site that far out of town.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Exxon had people in 800 Bell, but had given up all of the leased space in Downtown. There were offices on Buffalo Speedway at the research center and at Greenway. Exxon chemicals was out I-10 at Eldridge. There were more at Brookhollow at 290 and Dacoma. The largest concentration, though, was at Greenspoint, where Exxon occupied all or parts of 6 buildings, a building on Greens Road, and a building near the airport. When the new campus opened, all of those offices were sold or given up and the employees moved to the campus.

Chevron has a ton of employees, including engineers, near Baytown. If those engineers get moved from the plants into an office, they are not going to be thrilled to be driving to 290 and 99.

I am just skeptical that Chevron would give up the Downtown properties and move everyone to a 65 acre site that far out of town.
Exxon has engineers in Baytown too though. I personally knew a lady that worked at ExxonMobil in Baytown and got sent to work at the current campus in Spring. She also worked in other Exxon offices over the years. So those type of things do in fact happen. I’ve known people in other companies have far relocations as well. It’s really not an uncommon practice at all.

FWIW, the Bridgeland land is also 77 acres not 65. I’m sure they have the option to buy more land there as well.

But I do agree that such a would probably not be all at once

Old 05-03-2024, 01:08 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,980,194 times
Quote:

Understood about diversification of engineering, but I think the energy industry engineers still mostly live in the same areas they had been.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Right next to the M-K-T Heights, the Swift Building will be reimagined into a mixed used block.
So back to the post at hand, this portion of the Heights is transitioning into a walkable pocket. This, M K T heights, and residential units have been curating an urban environment here. There’s also hiking and biking trails that pass through here.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:32 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,527,606 times
Default Twin Domes going up off Fry Rd

Has anybody seen these water tanks going up on Fry Rd just north of Clay. From a distance they look like twin Astrodome’s being built. A company called DN Tanks is the contractor. Is this a MUD project?
Attached Thumbnails
Houston CORE developments thread-img_1165.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston