Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 01:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
One suspects most cities are experiencing similar patterns.
Literally all the major cities in the US are experiencing similar trends. Why the YouTuber in question singled out Houston is a head scratcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 01:47 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
It'd be an interesting scenario indeed if we further reduced fossil fuel usage.
I don't worry about that on Houston's behalf. Houston is grabbing a very large portion of the green energy jobs created and the oil giants of today are the green energy giants of tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
The city population decreased by 0.7% during civid and it's a mass exodus, but Dallas decreased by 1.2% and not a peep. If it's a mass exodus with a .7% decrease then he should be calling it an apocalypse in Dallas, yet again people are in here going on and on about certain areas stagnating.

Not sure why some always think Houston operates in a bubble. Crime goes up everywhere in the US but it's only out of control in Houston. City propers lose population across the country and there's a mass exodus.

Stop taking the bait. It is a national trend people and Houston wasn't even hit that hard.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Neither of those are perceptions. Schools in the suburbs tend to be higher rated than the city, and of course criime of all types is typically lower in the suburbs. Of course Houston suburbs are more unique due to the unincorporated nature of them but it still holds true.
Both a large chunk of the City of Houston and much of the unincorporated area around it would be considered "suburbs" (unless you're one of those folks who think everything east of Barker Cypress and south of Cypress Creek is "inner city"). Most of that area is not HISD either. I don't have specifics on population change in this area, but during COVID Harris County's total population reduced - then started growing again last year.

Anyway, I understand why the cost of the "nicer" areas of the urban core of Houston, and the long standing issues plaguing historically "not nice" areas of the core, would encourage residents (particularly families with children) to leave, but why the inner / middle suburbs? They are suburbs, after all.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:15 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The city population decreased by 0.7% during civid and it's a mass exodus, but Dallas decreased by 1.2% and not a peep. If it's a mass exodus with a .7% decrease then he should be calling it an apocalypse in Dallas, yet again people are in here going on and on about certain areas stagnating.

Not sure why some always think Houston operates in a bubble. Crime goes up everywhere in the US but it's only out of control in Houston. City propers lose population across the country and there's a mass exodus.

Stop taking the bait. It is a national trend people and Houston wasn't even hit that hard.
Yeah lol it’s pure bait. Also most people who left Houston/Harris County just went to Fort Bend or Montgomery. It’s not like Greater Houston lost population.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don't worry about that on Houston's behalf. Houston is grabbing a very large portion of the green energy jobs created and the oil giants of today are the green energy giants of tomorrow.
Northeast to Southeast Houston will be seriously affected if manufacturing slows or stops.. which would have a ripple effect on all the various contractors and businesses around there. I think it will hollow out that whole side of town, as well as all the towns to the east along I-10 & 225… that’s about a 25x15 mile patch. But you know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket…

Old 04-20-2023, 01:49 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Northeast to Southeast Houston will be seriously affected if manufacturing slows or stops.. which would have a ripple effect on all the various contractors and businesses around there. I think it will hollow out that whole side of town, as well as all the towns to the east along I-10 & 225… that’s about a 25x15 mile patch. But you know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket…
I have never worried about the loss of corporate jobs. But I used to worry about manufacturing jobs in SE Houston being affected by alternative energy. I have since stopped worrying. And I have stopped worrying even with the reality they may not completely offset manufacturing jobs. Here’s why

1. It’s too far to the distant future. It will happen anyway which does raise its concern, this combines with point 2 below

2. There’s A LOT of manufacturing jobs in the pipeline in the region. AASB mentioned modern energy jobs, but these aren’t even the leaders. The BioPort and Port Expansion are the 2 largest projects (then there’s others like the Daikin plant and so forth). The region is going through a logistics boom. So a shortage of new industrial jobs isn’t a problem. That combined with how long it will take to truly be petroleum free, make it unlikely that manufacturing jobs make it a net negative.

3. This is part of a much bigger, not energy/Houston/Texas specific problem that is automation. As others have mentioned above, we get a specific hit but it’s still a chapter in the global problem that is automation replacing jobs.

The one concern I do, however, have is they even these sort of jobs (minus the port expansion, I guess) are going to NW side of the region rather than SE. making a decline of SE HOU and suburbs entirely possible.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:40 PM

332 posts, read 260,454 times
Despite everyone seemingly "leaving" the city for the suburbs, ITL Houston is nicer and cleaner than I can ever remember. Leaps and bounds better today than its condition circa 80s and 90s

Old 04-20-2023, 04:05 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Despite everyone seemingly "leaving" the city for the suburbs, ITL Houston is nicer and cleaner than I can ever remember. Leaps and bounds better today than its condition circa 80s and 90s
It's not that uncommon for larger, low to moderate income family households to leave the urban core and be replaced by smaller but more affluent households. This can still lead to a drop in total population (and certainly leads to a drop in school enrollment).

Old 04-21-2023, 11:18 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times
He is just talking about City of Houston, the Houston MSA is booming.

Is this guy paid by the State of California to do negative pieces on Texas cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston