Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 45,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Huntington has redesigned its website. Long overdue in my opinion. Nothing big really, but as I always say, "A lot of little things can have a big impact."

City of Huntington
Wow. That's a huge improvement. Man alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
A new playground was put in at the Riverfront. According to the announcement, skatepark construction starts in June with "other major announcements this summer."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-...33857096625209

Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
A new playground was put in at the Riverfront. According to the announcement, skatepark construction starts in June with "other major announcements this summer."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-...33857096625209
Sweet! I can't wait to see what they will do with the old Holderby Landing spot. I remember that the mayor said an aquarium is a possibility. Whatever it is, I hope that they take as much advantage of the Riverfront as possible.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I'm holding out hope that something other than an aquarium is developed on that property but no matter the decision, it will be an upgrade.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I'm holding out hope that something other than an aquarium is developed on that property but no matter the decision, it will be an upgrade.
Just curious, what might your idea be for the area? A boardwalk/pier kind of set up with shops or something more unique? There's actually a lot of cool things that can be done there.

Whatever they do, I just hope that they integrate it with downtown better. Holderby's Landing just seemed so secluded, probably due to the floodwall.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I had mentioned before, I'm not sure if it was this thread or not, but I would like to see a new, quality outdoor stage/amphitheater built. By this I don't mean renovating the existing amphitheater at the riverfront. I mean a quality stage that can host national touring acts and seating areas with seats and nice restroom and concession facilities.

I truly believe the entire riverfront park needs to be redeveloped with a layout that utilizes the space better. Perhaps an aquarium can be included in that but I wouldn't want it to be the focal point.

The floodwall issue needs to be addressed and I think we would all like to see an invisible/temporary flood wall installed between 8th and 11th streets.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
Quote:
i had mentioned before, i'm not sure if it was this thread or not, but i would like to see a new, quality outdoor stage/amphitheater built. By this i don't mean renovating the existing amphitheater at the riverfront. I mean a quality stage that can host national touring acts and seating areas with seats and nice restroom and concession facilities.

I truly believe the entire riverfront park needs to be redeveloped with a layout that utilizes the space better. Perhaps an aquarium can be included in that but i wouldn't want it to be the focal point.

the floodwall issue needs to be addressed and i think we would all like to see an invisible/temporary flood wall installed between 8th and 11th streets.
amen

Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I had mentioned before, I'm not sure if it was this thread or not, but I would like to see a new, quality outdoor stage/amphitheater built. By this I don't mean renovating the existing amphitheater at the riverfront. I mean a quality stage that can host national touring acts and seating areas with seats and nice restroom and concession facilities.

I truly believe the entire riverfront park needs to be redeveloped with a layout that utilizes the space better. Perhaps an aquarium can be included in that but I wouldn't want it to be the focal point.

The floodwall issue needs to be addressed and I think we would all like to see an invisible/temporary flood wall installed between 8th and 11th streets.
Okay yeah I definitely agree. The stage needs to be completely redone. I would look to Charleston for an example of that.

The floodwall is going to be opened up wider on 10th street. I know that for sure. The proposal for that has been on the table for a while, but no implementation. I agree that something needs to be done about the whole flood wall situation. It is necessary, but it needs to be upgraded so that it can be put away and used when necessary (not that easy, I understand). Hopefully, they do find some way to better utilize the Riverfront space. I think that is extremely important and easily overlooked. Movement through the park also needs to be looked at (also a floodwall problem).

I am a fan of the aquarium idea because it is unique and we want to standout in any way possible, BUT I do agree that it should not be the focal point. The only exception to that would be if the aquarium was outstanding and on-par with some national aquariums. At least being able to compete in the Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky region. Though this would be nice, it is highly unlikely, and would probably not be a good idea either. As much as I love Huntington, it may just not be able to attract people away from Cincinnati or Columbus for one aquarium. We would certainly get people from most of WV, south-eastern OH, and Eastern KY though.

I would like to see the riverfront modeled after waterfronts such as Baltimore, Jacksonville, or Washington DC (multiple waterfronts in that city) PLUS an aquarium included.

The challenge with all of this will be to integrate it with the downtown and the waterfront itself. We don't want the backside of the building facing either direction.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 AM

Ah...the little things

The WV Building has some new lights. (There are more color schemes than are shown here)

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Very neat. I haven't actually seen that on the building yet. I know they've been working on that side to clean the building and fix the mortar. I imagine the front and other side will get the same treatment as well.

In other news, Mayor Williams was invited to Boston to speak about revitalization successes in industrial cities. As Mayor Williams said:
Quote:
"What I'm most pleased with is that this is another indication that what we're doing in Huntington is being noticed across the country," Williams said Tuesday during a telephone interview from the two-day conference. "I think it speaks volumes about how the city is coming together."
Mayor in Boston for roundtable on revitalization | The Herald-Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington