Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times

Advertisements

Odd that Remington's Ilion employees are covered by the United Mine Workers' union; I doubt they will follow to Alabama, bless their hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
2:00 pm kids.....and the Governor is coming.

Gov. Robert Bentley coming to Huntsville for news conference today, expected to announce new Remington gun plant employing 2,000 | AL.com

Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Johnson View Post
I hope it does not hurt Ilion also. My family worked in textiles for years and the plant closings were devastating. I fear when the "gun rush" ends and demand drops, Ilion will be a target. No pun intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I get the feeling that Cuomo is doing some political CYA right now in regards to what is going to happen in the future to the Ilion location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
CCc girl,

Please relate our sympathy to the hard working men & women at the Remington plant in Ilion. I know you all take pride in your work and the "UpState" New Yorkers are just as pro-2nd Ammendment as we are. It is unfortunate that the anti-gun/ anti-businese of NYC liberals & the governor's office are forcing business out of State & do not care how it hurts the local economy.

It is worth noting that Remington is not the only company making such move. Earlier, Barretta announced they will move out of MD to nearby Nashville, TN (less than 2 hours from here) and Kahr arms also announced they will moved out of NY State as well. S&W and Ruger will no longer sell their new & upgraded firearm models to CA. All these anti-businese moves are encountering backlashes and some of us benefited as result. But those who will loss their jobs are no diiferent than you & I, they are just hardworking people who're trying to make a living.
Quote:
Not surprising, especially he's interested running for the POTUS.
Wow, the people of Ilion thank you. (I don't live there BTW)

That's pretty amazing that you get the whole upstate/downstate rift here in NY. I think the decisions and economies of NY, CA are models for what not to do economically which is why places like TN, TX and AL are wooing businesses in droves.

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that sales tax is sort of high in the Huntsville area.

Every rose has its thorn.....

Cuomo for POTUS?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Sales tax is high but our property tax is low. Government is going to get their money one way or another.

We lived in the "flip" of high property taxes and a bit lower sales tax and for me it its been a wash.

I am sure the "upstate" feels a bit helpless in regards to their representation (or in reality, lack thereof).

After reading about the deep roots Remington has in Ilion I do feel extremely sad for those people.....it seems Remington is a major economical force in that city, is that the case? Along with that also comes the "heritage" and the pride I am sure many of those workers have towards what they do.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM

165 posts, read 211,911 times
Quote:
It is unfortunate that the anti-gun/ anti-businese of NYC liberals & the governor's office are forcing business out of State & do not care how it hurts the local economy.

All these anti-businese moves are encountering backlashes and some of us benefited as result. But those who will loss their jobs are no diiferent than you & I, they are just hardworking people who're trying to make a living.
Yup...nothin' makes us happier in Alabama than shootin' guns and complainin' about liberals. Unless it's goin' to church or watchin' football.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:49 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
Yup...nothin' makes us happier in Alabama than shootin' guns and complainin' about liberals. Unless it's goin' to church or watchin' football.
Amen. And again I say AMEN!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
It's an unfortunate part of life and business. If they do downsize in NY once the plant is finished here, it will be tough on the people's families. Similar to what is happening at the paper plant in the Shoals. Similar loss of jobs, multiple generation workers, etc. It's tough on the local economy.

With that being said, Remington was going to move regardless. I'm happy that we're the ones to pick them up.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Well, here's what they want us to beleive.......

[LEFT]
And while reports conflict about how the Ilion plant may be affected, an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo says no jobs will be leaving New York state.
"Some are misinformed, others gleefully spreading misinformation, but to be clear, no Remington jobs are leaving NY," Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi said on Twitter at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
Gannett-owned Military Times and Yellowhammer, a multimedia Alabama news source, report that officials will announce the expansion as early as this week, with Yellowhammer stating Monday is the day that officials will make it known about a 2,000-job plant in Huntsville, Ala.
The Birmingham Business Journal gathered information from both sources for their website.
Military Times' story said jobs from Ilion will not be taken away, but Yellowhammer said the plant "is expected to stay open, but with a reduced workforce."
This is not the first time that the company has been courted by other states in hope of business after New York passed the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act, including Michigan, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Arizona and Texas.
Read more: Remington Arms may be expanding down South - News - Uticaod - Utica, NY
[/LEFT]

Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Well, here's what they want us to beleive.......

...and while reports conflict about how the Ilion plant may be affected, an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo says no jobs will be leaving New York state.

"Some are misinformed, others gleefully spreading misinformation, but to be clear, no Remington jobs are leaving NY," Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi said on Twitter at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
What can he say? That Remington choose not to expand its manufacturing base in New York? And I as Governor don't really care if they leave?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
What can he say? That Remington choose not to expand its manufacturing base in New York? And I as Governor don't really care if they leave?
Yep, pretty much so. Just like when he said if you believe in the second amendment and are conservative (or something like that, I can't remember the exact) that Sean Hannity supposedly put his house on the market LMFAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area