Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 09:51 PM

130 posts, read 105,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Calm down please!
I have absolutely no understanding of overpriced and not particullarly clean construction. The example you posted: you sneeze on the patio and the neighbor offers you a kleenex, privacy is an unknown factor, who is supposted to clean and restain all the open woodwork, the glass banisters will be sandblasted in three months.
This comment is the perfect example of someone who does not understand an unique and new concept of living.

The Strand in Manhattan Beach, CA is an area where pedestrians can actually walk through those condos on their way to the beach.

For a person like me- one of the most eligible bachelors in the Huntsville metro area- living in the Strand would be the next step up- it allows you to interact with all the women walking to the beach and you could invite them to your place for drinks as they walk by.

https://m.cbhomes.com/p/734/SB200977...Bd/pdl23tp.jpg

Old 09-24-2022, 06:57 AM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
This comment is the perfect example of someone who does not understand an unique and new concept of living.

The Strand in Manhattan Beach, CA is an area where pedestrians can actually walk through those condos on their way to the beach.

For a person like me- one of the most eligible bachelors in the Huntsville metro area- living in the Strand would be the next step up- it allows you to interact with all the women walking to the beach and you could invite them to your place for drinks as they walk by.

Posted at 10:51PM on a Friday night.
Arguing a position with a bunch of (my assumption) 50+ year old people.

Stow the attitude, walk away from the keyboard, and start engaging with people in person and living life.
Wise words once said to me that I will share with you; take advantage of the time you have because although the days may be long the years are very short.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:06 AM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:

I'm not sure that's advisable in any city unless you're looking for a certain type of woman. I'm getting old but I don't think times have changed THAT much.

One of the most eligible bachelors in the city? Our gals have a way of putting such a a person in his place .... Treat them like ladies, not like they're honored to be in your presence.

Old 09-24-2022, 04:44 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
Quote:
living in the Strand would be the next step up- it allows you to interact with all the women walking to the beach and you could invite them to your place for drinks as they walk by.
Am I the only person who found this statement incredibly creepy?

Old 09-24-2022, 05:03 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
Am I the only person who found this statement incredibly creepy?
Free Marguaritas on the beach?

Old 09-24-2022, 06:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
If OP were a real person, I'd suggest that he hire an ASID-certified, licensed interior DESIGNER - not an interior DECORATOR.

And I'd suggest he engage an interior design FIRM (or an architecture firm which has interior design capabilities) - not an individual. That way, the firm could spread-out the abuse. They can send-out a beautiful young sociopath, who'll be happy to interface with even the creepiest sociopath client - once the relationship is clarified via contract, and the financial guarantees are in place. Others, within the safety of the office, can generate the computer drawings/specifications/construction documents/paperwork/orders/renderings/communications with contractors, artisans, jobbers, and workrooms. Others can generate the bills. The Office Manager and/or Project Manager, can provide initial interface with the client, every time he initiates contact (assuming the project doesn't get its own 'cloud' - or cloud-like IT construct - which, these days, it probably will).

The young Interior Designer can go back to the office, after every out-of-office appointment, and howl with laughter, with the Office Manager and her designer peers, over the client's latest absurdities and abuses. ...or not. If she's truly sick (and the career path toward "ASID-certified, licensed interior Designer" is enough to turn a plain jane narcissist/sociopath into a malignant narcissist/psychopath), she'll act is if there's something wrong with her peers, for not being professional-enough to relate to such an august and brilliant client. She'll use it as a gaslighting opportunity, for abusing her workplace peers. The firm's Principals will certainly do that gaslighting thing (and you can bet that at least one Principal will be in the initial meeting with the Client).

DECORATORS tend to come from a wide range of disciplines. And they tend to possess acute aesthetic abilities. Mostly, they're extremely smart, with staggeringly-wide empirical knowledge bases. They may or may not possess licenses, and may or may not be members of professional organizations. They're free-thinking iconoclasts (the ones at the top, anyway).

Interior DESIGNERS, on the other hand, are all about "professionalism". They're all about following the process, as laid-out by ASID guidelines. They pride themselves on being oblivious to aesthetics. They LOVE "Extreme Modernism". They were taught to, in school. They're great, when it comes to SPECIFICATIONS - rule following. They can get a project through all the applicable rules: state/workplace/OSHA/historic district/city/International Building Code... the list is endless. The ASID has a little magazine, which you an access, on a limited basis, online. AIA (American something of Architects), I think, has its own little magazine. Both of those, I suspect, will meet with OP's approval.

I've spent about a minute looking through each of those magazines.

There's a Decorator, between me and the Architects and the Interior Designers.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:44 PM

130 posts, read 105,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If OP were a real person, I'd suggest that he hire an ASID-certified, licensed interior DESIGNER - not an interior DECORATOR.

I don't need an interior designer. This is a condo I am renting and I am only planning on being here for the next 12 months.

I need someone that is looking to take on an unique project for this area and gain experience- I am very picky about everything I put in my house and I can be condescending at times but I do not anticipate my relationship with the decorator getting to a point where I will either fire her or she will walk out on the project.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:14 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

And I'd suggest he engage an interior design FIRM (or an architecture firm which has interior design capabilities) - not an individual. That way, the firm could spread-out the abuse. They can send-out a beautiful young sociopath, who'll be happy to interface with even the creepiest sociopath client - once the relationship is clarified via contract, and the financial guarantees are in place. Others, within the safety of the office, can generate the computer drawings/specifications/construction documents/paperwork/orders/renderings/communications with contractors, artisans, jobbers, and workrooms. Others can generate the bills. The Office Manager and/or Project Manager, can provide initial interface with the client, every time he initiates contact (assuming the project doesn't get its own 'cloud' - or cloud-like IT construct - which, these days, it probably will).

The young Interior Designer can go back to the office, after every out-of-office appointment, and howl with laughter, with the Office Manager and her designer peers, over the client's latest absurdities and abuses. ...or not. If she's truly sick (and the career path toward "ASID-certified, licensed interior Designer" is enough to turn a plain jane narcissist/sociopath into a malignant narcissist/psychopath), she'll act is if there's something wrong with her peers, for not being professional-enough to relate to such an august and brilliant client. She'll use it as a gaslighting opportunity, for abusing her workplace peers. The firm's Principals will certainly do that gaslighting thing (and you can bet that at least one Principal will be in the initial meeting with the Client).

DECORATORS tend to come from a wide range of disciplines. And they tend to possess acute aesthetic abilities. Mostly, they're extremely smart, with staggeringly-wide empirical knowledge bases. They may or may not possess licenses, and may or may not be members of professional organizations. They're free-thinking iconoclasts (the ones at the top, anyway).

Interior DESIGNERS, on the other hand, are all about "professionalism". They're all about following the process, as laid-out by ASID guidelines. They pride themselves on being oblivious to aesthetics. They LOVE "Extreme Modernism". They were taught to, in school. They're great, when it comes to SPECIFICATIONS - rule following. They can get a project through all the applicable rules: state/workplace/OSHA/historic district/city/International Building Code... the list is endless. The ASID has a little magazine, which you an access, on a limited basis, online. AIA (American something of Architects), I think, has its own little magazine. Both of those, I suspect, will meet with OP's approval.

I've spent about a minute looking through each of those magazines.

There's a Decorator, between me and the Architects and the Interior Designers.
American Institute of Architects. More than a little magazine. However, I think I have determined the problem of the OP in his need for a decorator.

You mention that decorators come FROM a wide range of disciplines. They also come with a wide range of disciplines. I suggest Mistress Whoopass as a perfect fit.

With this one change, his life will be complete, he will recognize the wisdom of the people of the south, and California will only be a distant uncomfortable memory...

Old 09-25-2022, 03:15 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
I don't need an interior designer. This is a condo I am renting and I am only planning on being here for the next 12 months.

I need someone that is looking to take on an unique project for this area and gain experience- I am very picky about everything I put in my house and I can be condescending at times but I do not anticipate my relationship with the decorator getting to a point where I will either fire her or she will walk out on the project.
Offer her a margarita.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:54 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
I need a recommendation for an interior decorator. Basically what I need is someone that is interested in ultra modern decoration and is willing to take on an unique project.

I am willing to work with the right person but also, this will be a great opportunity for her to add an unique project to her portfolio.

My plan is to give this person more business in the near future but I am extremely selective and I would have to interview this person first to see if our ideas/styles align.

I am extremely selective and I can be very condescending, so I need someone who is thick skinned and willing to deal with my sometimes, harsh criticism and sarcasm.
Maybe, before decorating you home, you should work on your attitude first.
No one wants to work for (or with) an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area