Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM

426 posts, read 1,273,684 times

Advertisements

Did a quick forum search and thought maybe we should start a new thread. Now, it ain't gonna be DC or LA but here are some of the ethnic restaurants I frequent in the area.

DING HOW II--Chinese. The only place I know in town where you can get Dim Sum. Located at Airport Road and Whitesburg--in the shopping center that contains the Fresh Market. We always see lots of Asians dining there.

CURRY-N-A-HURRY--Caribbean. Owned by a lady from Trinidad. Tucked away in a shopping center on Jordan Lane/Hwy 53 near the intersection of Sparkman. Very good, fresh food. Hours are limited to lunch (maybe 11-3 Monday-Friday) and parking is tight.

PAPA GYRO'S--Mediterranean. Unsure who owns this but they have good Moussaka, falafel and gyros. Crowded at lunch. Tucked away in the same shopping center as Chili's on University Drive. Between Old Monrovia Road and Wynn Drive.

KOREA HOUSE--Korean. Jordan Lane between Holmes Avenue and I-565. Good lunch buffet and good Kimchee. Small restaurant. I'm no expert on Korean food but lots of military/former military who lived in Korea frequent the place.

CHINA DRAGON III--Chinese Takeout. The best we've found so far. Hubby is half Chinese and thinks this is very good. Located at the corner of Wall-Triana and Pine Grove road, north of Hwy 72.

VINNY's and SITAR--Indian. Both are on Jordan Lane. Vinny's is at the corner of Holmes and Jordan and Sitar is farther down Jordan closer to I-565. Vinny's has the Southern (and more Spicy) Indian cuisine and Sitar has the Northern Indian cuisine (and better buffet). Order off the menu if you go to Vinny's.

Anyone else want to add info about their choice restaurants or frequent haunts in the Huntsville area? Doesn't have to be ethnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Surin Thai on Airport about 1/2 mile east of Memorial Parkway
*****et Thai in Providence Village

Ol Heidelberg Cafe‎
6125 University Dr NW # E14, Huntsville, AL - (256) 922-0556‎

Cafe Berlin‎
964 Airport Rd SW # 3, Huntsville, AL

Hildegards‎
2357 Whitesburg Dr S # C, Huntsville, AL

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 84,816 times
I agree with PAPA GYRO'S but CHINA DRAGON III was awful the only 2 times I have ever tried it. Maybe I just got the wrong thing. I think the Chinese place (not sure of the name) in the Walmart Shopping center on University Dr is pretty good. I've been to VINNY's and SITAR, I wasn't a big fan but that doesn't mean it wasn't authentic. It was my first time trying Indian so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM

Charles--speaking of Thai, I forgot about THAI GARDEN in Five Points. That's our favorite Thai place and I know they are "locals". It seems a bit more authentic than Surin, though Surin is quite good. PHUKET in Providence is okay as well but I don't know if it's a chain or not. Oh, and I second CAFE BERLIN--my goodness, I forgot about all of Germany We don't do that much German, though we like it quite well.

Crimson--don't know what to say about China Dragon. We've been getting takeout there for five years and it's always very consistent. We've also ordered several different things from the menu. Maybe you caught it on a bad day--or maybe it's not quite as "Americanized" as some other places in town? They use lots of vegetables and don't fry everything.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 08-01-2008 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM

23 posts, read 100,251 times
Default Restaurants in Huntsville Area

Papa Gyro's--I love this place. You are correct, they are packed during lunch but I don't mind because the food is fresh.

Korea House--I tried this last week. I did not really care for it. The food wasn't bad, I just didn't feel a need to go back. It was my first experience eating Korean food.

Luciano's--Italian. Located on Airport Road next to Cafe Berlin. The food is great and on Friday nights they have someone singing.

Beauregard's--American. They specialize in buffalo wings (which in my opinion are best in Huntsville) but they also have a large variety of menu items. They have several locations: Providence, N. Pkwy located in Toys R Us plaza, Jordan Lane near I-565, and Whitesburg Drive-in the plaza with the Fresh Market.

801 Franklin--Very nice upscale restaurant. The name is the same as the location. Rather pricey so I only go there on special occasions but their duck, lamb chops, and crab cakes are awesome.

Soul Burger--American burger joint. If you like burgers then this place has really good, homemade, seasoned burgers. Located on the corner of Bob Wallace and Triana Boulevard.

I too am really interested in learning about more great places to eat in Huntsville.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM

LAWLERS Barbecue--I'm sure we could start a whole thread arguing about the finer points of BBQ in this area, but this one is my favorite. They have a great $5 BBQ pork plate Monday special for those who are "thrifty"--shall we say. BBQ, roll and two sides. I use the locations in Madison (Hughes Road--near Kroger), Athens (near I-65) and the drive-thru on Jeff Road (at the intersection of Blake Bottom)

JAZZ FACTORY--downtown on the square. A bit upscale. We had a great New Year's Eve dinner there with friends. Price is pretty good for the quality/variety of food.

MAIN STREET CAFE--on the square in downtown Madison. Neat atmosphere in the old police station. You can eat in a jail cell. Nice menu (though it can be a bit heavy if you choose the Italian). Nice outdoor eating area, though a train can come by and be a bit loud.

BLUE PLATE CAFE--Governor's Drive not too far from I-565. Great country food, meat and three type of place. Extremely crowded, so hard to get in Breakfast and Lunch only.

G's COUNTRY KITCHEN--Oakwood Avenue (in the 'hood but not unsafe) I think at the intersection of Pulaski (though it may be Sparkman). Great country cooking and a good place for a meat and three.

ROSIES--EVERYONE talks about Rosies. People on Airplanes have asked me about Rosie's (when I've told them I live in HSV). Personally, it's not my favorite because they put that queso/cheese sauce on everything. Good mambo taxi, however I prefer CASA BLANCA (Hughes Road and University Drive locations) for Mexican but even that is pretty average.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 08-01-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 AM

262 posts, read 794,350 times
We love China Dragon III on Pine Grove, too.

We also love Main Street Cafe in Madison. The mushroom bisque soup is yummy.

We were not impressed by Cantina Laredo at Bridgestreet.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,807,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hildegards‎
2357 Whitesburg Dr S # C, Huntsville, AL
Hildegard's is a great little place. It seems like only those that live in that part of town now about it (and a lot of those don't). Friendly service, homemade breads, dessert and soups...

A lot of great places on this list, a couple others not mentioned:

Higher end:
Pauli's at 72 and Slaughter
Pauli's Chophouse
Le Bistro du Soleil

Everyday:
Charm Thai, never hear anyone talk about it, but we had a GREAT meal there
Jamos, middle eastern deli, cheap, healthy options
Viet Huong, not the best Vietnamese I've ever had but I always enjoy it
Humphrey's, great burgers and bar food
Shea's Express, "fru fru" lunch as a friend of mine would say, but good stuff
Sam and Greg's, great pizza and gelato on the square downtown

Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,590,177 times
D&L Bistro is also very nice off of S.Memorial Pkway. Love Pauli's--
Terra Novas is nice too--seriously yummy Italian food that's not a part of a "chain" restaurant.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,590,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
CURRY-N-A-HURRY--Caribbean. Owned by a lady from Trinidad. Tucked away in a shopping center on Jordan Lane/Hwy 53 near the intersection of Sparkman. Very good, fresh food. Hours are limited to lunch (maybe 11-3 Monday-Friday) and parking is tight.

PAPA GYRO'S--Mediterranean. Unsure who owns this but they have good Moussaka, falafel and gyros. Crowded at lunch. Tucked away in the same shopping center as Chili's on University Drive. Between Old Monrovia Road and Wynn Drive.
VINNY's and SITAR--Indian. Both are on Jordan Lane. Vinny's is at the corner of Holmes and Jordan and Sitar is farther down Jordan closer to I-565. Vinny's has the Southern (and more Spicy) Indian cuisine and Sitar has the Northern Indian cuisine (and better buffet). Order off the menu if you go to Vinny's.
I will check out the non oriental places for sure! thanks for the info--I am allergic to shellfish so have to avoid oriental due to serious cross contamination (pain in the ---- as I LOVE the stuff--now I make it myself). I'm so grateful for the information!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area