Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, that old line that unemployed Americans are just too lazy to take the jobs that illegals will do. Jobs in construction, fast food, restaurants, stores, landscaping, agriculture, child care and now teaching.

How about we at least end unemployment and all the other welfare handouts so that we can quit claiming Americans won't work and we need unlimited numbers of cheap foreign workers coming to take even very high paying teaching jobs.
I used to live in Hawaii for awhile.

Funny thing I noticed while I was there: construction got done, fast food had workers, yards got mowed, etc.

All without the help of an illegal work force.

I know some people apparently see it as a down side that they had to be pay those hard working citizens a liveable wages at fair market value. But the work got done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,102,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I used to live in Hawaii for awhile.

Funny thing I noticed while I was there: construction got done, fast food had workers, yards got mowed, etc.

All without the help of an illegal work force.

I know some people apparently see it as a down side that they had to be pay those hard working citizens a liveable wages at fair market value. But the work got done.
Except few people are willing to pay what they should. Thus the demand. Immigrants and drugs from Mexico are similar in this case...the supply will continue as long as there is demand.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
If you used a real source you would see that they are not on fact illegal and can legally work. Or did you know that and are again deliberately lying? I scoff at your putative thread.

Denver Public Schools looks to hire undocumented immigrants as teachers
Did you happen to catch the end of the tape? This particular program was made possible by the Walton Family, of Walmart fame.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM

1,136 posts, read 943,993 times
Quote:
The title of the article is actually previously undocumented
No, it doesn't, unless something changed.

Also, nobody cares what the title of an article says when the actual DACA program involves illegals.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Porous border, we reap what we sow. And we thought the term anchor baby was just a fake, made up term. There it is folks.

With a stroke of a pen make illegal,,,,,,legal. All good now. Just more of a carrot for more of the same.

My question is, what makes the illegals from Mexico so important? What about all the people that want to come here but can't because they can't crawl across because of an ocean? Aren't they just as in need of our tax dollars?
Spend some time in NYC or the greater Chicago area.

There are immigrants from almost 200 nations living in NYC. I have no idea how many are documented versus not. I do know that many arrive on tourist visas ( if visas are required) and do not leave. Others are seasonal visitors and return home in the winter when building/remodeling comes to a halt.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM

1,136 posts, read 943,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Spend some time in NYC or the greater Chicago area.

There are immigrants from almost 200 nations living in NYC. I have no idea how many are documented versus not. I do know that many arrive on tourist visas ( if visas are required) and do not leave. Others are seasonal visitors and return home in the winter when building/remodeling comes to a halt.
The reason we don't know how many are undocumented is because those cities don't attempt to find out. They actively ignore the problem and have laws and policies that prevent anyone from finding out. It's a blatant violation of the law, but they're Democrat cities, so nobody is really surprised.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,595 times
Quote:
Except few people are willing to pay what they should. Thus the demand. Immigrants and drugs from Mexico are similar in this case...the supply will continue as long as there is demand.
First, I apologize if I was short with you.

Immigrants aren't like drugs because one doesn't have a source for legal crack that may cost just a bit more.

Wages typically reflect the intersection between supply and demand of labor. If we artificially increase the labor supply, we destroy the wages in the industry effected.

People will pay what they should if they have no other choice to access the labor.

And get this: the effect of illegal immigration disproportionately effects African Americans. Civil Rights Commissioners to Black Caucus: Why Are You Selling Out African-Americans? | Power Line

Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,102,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
The reason we don't know how many are undocumented is because those cities don't attempt to find out. They actively ignore the problem and have laws and policies that prevent anyone from finding out. It's a blatant violation of the law, but they're Democrat cities, so nobody is really surprised.
Lol, back to reality...how do you propose we count illegal immigrants that don't show up in paperwork and have nothing trackable to their name?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
All undocumented illegal aliens should be deported out of the country. They are here illegally. They are law breakers. We should reinstate President Eisenhowers government program he used to rid many illegals. It had a nice catchy name to label the illegals what they actually were.
Here's one account of that program, which included corruption between farmers/ranchers and politians.

I continue to find it fascinating how much emphasis some put on the undocumented while ignoring the reason they came and stayed- employers who hire them.

It does not matter how high a fence, how many people and machines patrol the borders, so long as employers do not experience consequences for employing undocumented workers, they will come/ stay.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,907,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I could care less where they were born. That's not germane to this conversation. The fact that they're here illegally and that bleeding heart liberals are trying to portray a criminal subset of society as victims of our lax enforcement of immigration law is what's at point. If you or I were to sneak into Mexico illegally we'd get 3 hots and a cot, but people coming here illegally get public school educations, due process, and access to public health care...and if they pump out a kid on American soil they get unwritten carte blanche to flaunt immigration law until the day they die. If you're not wise enough to see how completely f'd up that is...you're prime material for the DPS school board.
Tired old arguments which don't even belong in Denver board. People who receive DACA are for now legally in the country. For you to get all worked up about it basically shows your racism with an ever so thinly veiled justification in the "law" and throwing out liberal this and liberal that nonsense. Nice try, most people can see through your lies and spot the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: