Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 PM

63,134 posts, read 29,316,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannis View Post
My support for the American worker should not come as a surprise. You seem to be under the impression that you and I are adversaries. We're really not. But this is a complicated issue that isn't going to be solved by viewing it as strictly a legal issue. Reading your posts, your view seems to be: Illegal immigrants are bad, legal immigrants are good. That's overly simplistic and false on both counts.
You're twisting my words. I already explained to you in another post how I feel about legal immigrants who are a burden to our country and yes illegal aliens are all bad for our country.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM

102 posts, read 101,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What would be the substantive thing to do about immigration? Are you referring to legal or illegal immigration? I hope it's the latter because there is another forum about legal immigration. No, the neocons do not make up the bulk of the GOP.

All the more reason to end illegal immigration in regards to your last paragraph.
First obviously, secure the border. Second, deport about 90% of illegals immediately, no questions asked. The other 10% are evaluated on their contribution, likelihood to assimilate, criminal record, etc. and a decision made. Some can be allowed to stay and work with a green card, others can be put on a path to citizenship.

We simply disagree on the GOP then. Ron Paul is gone, the so-called Tea Partiers(half of whom are neocons, too) have been ostracized by the party leadership. The differences between the Dems and Repubs are microscopic.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You're twisting my words. I already explained to you in another post how I feel about legal immigrants who are a burden to our country and yes illegal aliens are all bad for our country.
Forgive me, I'm not trying to twist your words, but you seem hung up on the question of legal status.

Consider an illegal Canadian who has overstayed for 10 years. He works self-employed as a computer programmer, has always paid taxes, fully self-sufficient, owns a home, speaks perfect English, no criminal record. How is he bad for our country?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm not trying to twist your words, but you seem hung up on the question of legal status.

Consider an illegal Canadian who has overstayed for 10 years. He works self-employed as a computer programmer, has always paid taxes, fully self-sufficient, owns a home, speaks perfect English, no criminal record. How is he bad for our country?

Why didn't he try to renew his visa and how did he work with an expired one? Yes, he is a law breaker. Our immigration laws say so. People who ignore/defy laws show what character they are made of.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,857,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Not to mention Imagration in the OP. I wonder which country the OP 'imagrated' from?
I'm as forgiving about grammar (it comes with the territory) as the next guy, but I want the OP to explain why he is so negative on "IllegalImagration" when I clearly saw him describe visa fraud as the correct way to immigrate a few days ago...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
First obviously, secure the border. Second, deport about 90% of illegals immediately, no questions asked. The other 10% are evaluated on their contribution, likelihood to assimilate, criminal record, etc. and a decision made. Some can be allowed to stay and work with a green card, others can be put on a path to citizenship.

We simply disagree on the GOP then. Ron Paul is gone, the so-called Tea Partiers(half of whom are neocons, too) have been ostracized by the party leadership. The differences between the Dems and Repubs are microscopic.
Sorry, I disagree, they must all go back to their homelands and apply to come back legally. How in the world do you determine that 10% should be evaluated and 90% deported no questions asked? How do you know that part of the 90% aren't more worth keeping if you don't evaluate them also under your scenario?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Why didn't he try to renew his visa and how did he work with an expired one? Yes, he is a law breaker. Our immigration laws say so. People who ignore/defy laws show what character they are made of.
Canadians generally do not need visas to enter the United States (Canadians Requiring Visas | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada), and to petition for work-authorization while in non-immigrant status (I-765) requires one...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree, they must all go back to their homelands and apply to come back legally. How in the world do you determine that 10% should be evaluated and 90% deported no questions asked? How do you know that part of the 90% aren't more worth keeping if you don't evaluate them also under your scenario?
The Canadian in our scenario can apply for an Adjustment of Status from within the United States (since he is merely an "overstay"), and qualifies to file for a Cancellation of Removal (since he has been present ten years or more) if detained...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
That's all beside the point. Maybe he has a phobia of government offices, maybe he just can't stand the cold or didn't feel safe, make him German, who cares, it's just a hypothetical. Surely you know what I mean. Explain how he's bad for this country.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That's all beside the point. Maybe he has a phobia of government offices, maybe he just can't stand the cold or didn't feel safe, make him German, who cares, it's just a hypothetical. Surely you know what I mean. Explain how he's bad for this country.
I already did regardless of his excuses. The excuses are quite lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration