Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 05:35 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is about the liberals weeping that we need illegal aliens to pick crops! The point being "NO WE DO NOT NEED ILLEGAL ALIENS TO PICK CROPS.", as more and more are grown outside the country, which has put our farmers out of work, as they cannot compete with the cheap labor and the lack of a tariff, so OUR dollars go outside the country, which is not a good thing from an economic perspective, as well as, it making us dependent on other countries for some of our food sources.

I just read the vacancy rate for commercial buildings is over 30%, so fewer custodial jobs also. So, the only way these illegals work is if they take the job of someone else, like a citizen!

Anyone that has watched the latest illegals pouring in knows they are wearing very nice clothing, high quality shoes and bags/packs. Yeah, I bet they come to pick strawberries in the sun!

The children of these illegal aliens will be competing with the current citizen children, and most likely be given a "preference", heck, we'll probably give them reparations for their suffering when they came to the US illegally and were not served to the standards they expected!

Detain and deport. Trump promises the biggest deportation effort in the history of our country if elected, and Biden promises only 5,000 a day and to expedite the procedure for those waiting plus he will only close the border if it becomes overwhelmed, and with the number of border patrol agents he is asking for, that would never happen. Choose us! Trump 2024!
I don't know where you live, but I can assure you that those 'migrants' still spend all day in the hot sun, hunched over for hours, picking produce in the farms of CA. Yes, they will do that, especially if they are illegal.

What gets me is how can ANYONE, especially all the liberals in CA who 'care' so much about these people, can drive by them day after day after day and think that's a 'better life' for them. Illegal or not, I did have a twinge of sympathy and also disgust that people think it's good that they do this all day, every day. It's a horrible way to 'make a living' when they aren't paid chit.

As for 'paying enough', when I was a teen picking apples, they paid enough. It was a summer job, not a career. However, as U.S. citizens, even as teens we have protection. Illegals do not. I say 'illegals' because that is exactly who they used when U.S. citizen teens weren't available during the school year. They 'housed' them in tiny cement blocks. Literally just enough room for the 5 or 6 per cement block to lie down on the floor to sleep. That's a 'better life', apparently.

I don't like that they brazenly break our laws, but I also don't like how they get treated while working 'doing the jobs Americans won't do', (bs). They don't have protections. How any cold hearted jackass can ever consider that 'a better life', I will never understand. They are exploited, used, and treated like crap. It is unacceptable to treat any human like that just to keep the 'price of fruits and vegetables low', as some idiots on here would say in the past. They actually wrote that. Sick jerks.

As for where the produce comes from, it wasn't that I wasn't aware that we had imported food, but I was NOT aware that they used RAW SEWER to irrigate. So, thank you for this thread. While I, luckily, do have veggies in my fridge that are from the U.S.A, I will be visiting the local markets around here from now on. Where I live, there's a ton of markets, so it won't be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 06:25 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't know where you live, but I can assure you that those 'migrants' still spend all day in the hot sun, hunched over for hours, picking produce in the farms of CA. Yes, they will do that, especially if they are illegal.

What gets me is how can ANYONE, especially all the liberals in CA who 'care' so much about these people, can drive by them day after day after day and think that's a 'better life' for them. Illegal or not, I did have a twinge of sympathy and also disgust that people think it's good that they do this all day, every day. It's a horrible way to 'make a living' when they aren't paid chit.

As for 'paying enough', when I was a teen picking apples, they paid enough. It was a summer job, not a career. However, as U.S. citizens, even as teens we have protection. Illegals do not. I say 'illegals' because that is exactly who they used when U.S. citizen teens weren't available during the school year. They 'housed' them in tiny cement blocks. Literally just enough room for the 5 or 6 per cement block to lie down on the floor to sleep. That's a 'better life', apparently.

I don't like that they brazenly break our laws, but I also don't like how they get treated while working 'doing the jobs Americans won't do', (bs). They don't have protections. How any cold hearted jackass can ever consider that 'a better life', I will never understand. They are exploited, used, and treated like crap. It is unacceptable to treat any human like that just to keep the 'price of fruits and vegetables low', as some idiots on here would say in the past. They actually wrote that. Sick jerks.

As for where the produce comes from, it wasn't that I wasn't aware that we had imported food, but I was NOT aware that they used RAW SEWER to irrigate. So, thank you for this thread. While I, luckily, do have veggies in my fridge that are from the U.S.A, I will be visiting the local markets around here from now on. Where I live, there's a ton of markets, so it won't be difficult.
There is no need for the farmers to hire illegal aliens since we have the unlimited visas for legal workers and most illegals aren't picking crops anyway. Those here on the visas get treated right, get benefits and housing. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for those working here illegally or how they are treated. They thumbed their noses at our immigration laws and don't care about their negative impact on our own citizens.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:30 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have stepped up my rate of buying fresh vegetables and fruits. The libs here are always whining that without these 3rd world illegals, crops would rot in the fields. What crops? Much of it comes from Mexico, a country that these illegals pass through, so why aren't they taking jobs there? Add mechanization in agriculture, and also that the agricultural industries using illegal labor have us subsidizing those workers so they can put more money in their pockets.

Growing up in MI, many went to the farms to pick their own produce, especially strawberries and blueberries, among the most time consuming to pick. With the rise of interest in organic and/or locally grown produce, and the plandemic making people realize what our government can do to us, the rise in products at our farmers' markets has really taken off! Ever ate a ripe peach? What about a ripe tomato? I bet most have not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/d...s-imports.html

"Imports have increased steadily for decades, but the extent of the change may be surprising: More than half of the fresh fruit and almost a third of the fresh vegetables Americans buy now come from other countries"

"As a result, the proportion of the imported fresh fruit eaten in the United States rose to 53.1 percent in 2016, from 23 percent in 1975, according to the Agriculture Department’s Economic Research Service. Fresh vegetable imports rose to 31.1 percent from 5.8 percent. (Still, the United States remains a net agricultural exporter, with grains, soybeans, meat and nuts accounting for most of the trade surplus.)"

I get an icky feeling from produce coming from outside the country, and from CA, knowing that 3rd world people often don't realize issues with contamination (like making the field their toilet).

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutr...te-on-produce/

"Investigators found feces and toilet paper in cilantro fields, and noted that some farms lacked toilets for their workers. And this isn't just a gross-out, oversell headline, either: Eating produce with feces on it could make you really sick. The FDA suspects (but hasn't confirmed) that this cilantro is the cause of an outbreak of a parasitic infection called cyclosporiasis, which causes a suite of symptoms that include vomiting, bloating, and (gag) "watery diarrhea." So far, 384 people from 26 states have become ill, and a formal investigation is underway."

https://www.dw.com/en/how-human-wast...ent/a-61247266

"Artificial fertilizers are banned on Tomas Villanueva's farm in the small town of Tepetixtla, on Mexico's west coast. All the produce is fertilized with homemade human dung. He says poop and pee have a bad image, but the composting process means it's hygienic — and better for the soil and biodiversity."

Composting waste should only be used on something like trees, never on ground crops.

We have all read the stories about fecal contamination on produce. It is almost impossible to remove from some vegetables and fruits.

So, I'm ready for robots in the agricultural industry! They don't produce anchor babies or poop and pee in the fields!

Alot of guys on here are not to bright. People forget that the Mexican economic governmental and military system is integrated and highly dependent on the United States thanks to nafta pushed by Republicans and singed into law by president Bill Clinton a Democrat. Alot of fruits and vegetables come from Mexico. But guess what we also send fruits and vegetables to Mexico aswell thanks to nafta.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:30 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
The idea of eating produce irrigated with raw waste water is repulsive.

No kidding. That's why it's always an adventure when ya travel

Old 02-02-2024, 08:41 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
50 years ago, many fruit and veggies were not available from ANYWHERE for any amount of money during winter. When strawberries were not in season, they just were not in season. All we had was frozen or canned fruit and veggies, for the most part.
This is the exact reason.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:21 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Mexico is our largest trading partner. Read Chris Tomlinson today. Closing the Texas Mexico border would ruin the Super Bowl parties. It’s on X so you don’t have to go to that red rag Chronicle.

It’s facts not talking points BS. The amount on money changing hands on beer alone was staggering.

Do you suppose when a USA seller of produce grows it in Mexico they might have a supervisor down there watching the growing conditions.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:16 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Mexico is our largest trading partner. Read Chris Tomlinson today. Closing the Texas Mexico border would ruin the Super Bowl parties. It’s on X so you don’t have to go to that red rag Chronicle.

It’s facts not talking points BS. The amount on money changing hands on beer alone was staggering.

Do you suppose when a USA seller of produce grows it in Mexico they might have a supervisor down there watching the growing conditions.
We don't need to close the border to commerce just illegal entry.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
I'm eating and enjoying my fresh, local Florida strawberries.

Here's a list of what's fresh from Florida in February:

https://ccmedia.fdacs.gov/content/do...20February.pdf

Old 02-02-2024, 12:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Citrus fruits are not ripe year-round. Source: my nearly 55 years in Orange County. I have had orange, lemon and tangerine trees my entire life. They tend to have a long season and depending on the variety are often ripe in the winter when there aren’t a lot of other fruits, but they still have a cycle. My lemons and tangerines are ripe right now. They will be gone by summer and the next crop will be ready about next January. I dislike having to buy lemons at the store, but in summer and fall, I do.

I can still get local avocados at the farmer’s market. They are far superior to the imported ones and also have a long season, but not year-round. When the Hass are gone, there are Reeds and Fuertes, so the vendors (from Riverside) have some variety most of the time, but still there are off times when they apologize that the new crop just isn’t in yet.

The fruit situation is pretty great here compared to most places but it’s an exaggeration to imply we can get any kind of ripe citrus or avocado whenever we want it.

I harvested fruit year around from my trees, North San Diego County, 22 years. I harvested cherry tomatoes in December also while there. YMMV.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:51 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I harvested fruit year around from my trees, North San Diego County, 22 years. I harvested cherry tomatoes in December also while there. YMMV.
I am getting cherry tomatoes right now, no problem with that. But I can't believe that all of your citrus trees had ripe fruit all year round. For instance, if we don't pick all the Meyer lemons before the temperature hits the 80s, they just fall off and rot. And while there was technically fruit present on our Valencia orange trees almost all the time, it wasn't actually always ripe. Sometimes the fruit was green, and sometimes it was orange colored but still hard and sour.

But who am I to say, maybe you had magic ever-ripe citrus trees. Or maybe first one type was ripe, and then another type, which would be normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration