Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,500 times

Advertisements

There are virtually no employment laws to protect workers in the state of Indiana. Overtime, minimum wage and worker's comp are about all that you get. What that means exactly is that a company can fire you at any time with no reason.
A friend of mine graduated from Law School at Indiana University. He now works for the State of Ohio (Department of Labor, no less!) because the laws here stink so badly.

I worked for a company that MADE me buy their health insurance. Not only was it very expensive (2 bucks an hour off the top of my pay!), but the owner's daughter's husband held the contracts for his insurance company.
According to the Indiana State Department of Labor, there is no law against doing this if it part of the initial contract.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 36,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Well you are all offering up some great pros and cons. It's hard to imagine anything but CA. I guess the grass always looks greener, etc. etc.

Indiana sounds great, but like they say, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. We're hoping to pay the Hoosier state a visit next summer when we take our annual vacation. We're planning on visiting the Fishers, Noblesville area. Any other areas to consider and why?
I would suggest you look at both Zionsville & Carmel which seem to me to have better access to the northside and downtown areas of Indianapolis. My impression is that Fishers has become so developed that it is as crowded as Carmel but the traffic from the northeast is worse and that Noblesville is just too far away from the Indianapolis arts, sports, museums, restaurants, etc.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM

38 posts, read 383,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verronica View Post
There are virtually no employment laws to protect workers in the state of Indiana. Overtime, minimum wage and worker's comp are about all that you get. What that means exactly is that a company can fire you at any time with no reason.

Yeah, it's called 'At Will Employment'. We have it here in CA too, for what it's worth.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo4iu View Post
I would suggest you look at both Zionsville & Carmel which seem to me to have better access to the northside and downtown areas of Indianapolis. My impression is that Fishers has become so developed that it is as crowded as Carmel but the traffic from the northeast is worse and that Noblesville is just too far away from the Indianapolis arts, sports, museums, restaurants, etc.
Interesting...thanks.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Interesting...thanks.
uhhh ... no ... Fishers still has lots of land that is yet to be developed. And we also have easy access to I-69 and I-70 to get into the city. I can get to the zoo, the museums, Colts, etc. in 25-40 minutes. I'm not bashing Carmel or Z-ville. Both are lovely, but your giving misinformation.

Hey digdug!! I was just thinking about writing you the other day.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,093,884 times
verronica - I also noticed that tenants rights are almost non-existant either. When I rented an apartment in Bloomington, Indiana having moved there from Chicago to finish school, I was amazed at what the landlords were allowed to get away with legally. Granted landlords are no treat up here either, but they don't necessarily have the law on their side when they try and withold your security deposit or neglect their property, they just count on you not pursuing them.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Howdy! Thanks for the correction. See? This is why first hand information is so important rather than relying on information that is sometimes half a decade old.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 21,678 times
I am originally from Indianapolis myself, however I come from the rougher part of Indianapolis (HaughVille) so i can pretty much give you what i know from an inner-city view

To simply put it like this, there two sides to Indianapolis

You have the inner-city, and the outer region

The inner-city is pretty rough **Its nicknamed the old city area by some**, its the older part obviously, and its where most of the crime is, its pretty much where youll find most of the minorities at too, not to sugar coat things, but they say if they took out the rest of the county and just tallied up crime from this area, it would rank as one of the highest in the nation......

... However The outer-region, which is larger, its fairly newer, alot of it its pretty clean and nice and its really nice to live in, when im out of school, i plan on most likely moving to the NE side of the city, preferably around Geist

To live in Indianapolis is pretty cheap, really cheap, a little TOO cheap, but i wouldnt complain, thats extra money to keep in your pocket right? You'd be surprised how much youd pay for a beautiful house in this city in a good area, unlike certain cities i have been too......

Traffic isnt as bad as it is in other cities, but there is traffic, but then again, its the 12th most populated city in the country, what do you expect?

Its a midwestern city to the core, its definately a cultural shock if your coming from California, but if your open-minded, theres plenty to learn from us

We have plenty of events and flavor, depending on what nationally you are, or what you enjoy, theres something for everyone, and its not really hard to find IMO

However, the only thing i do NOT like about Indianapolis, is the fact it doesnt offer that much of a variety of people, not yet at least, its just mostly White and us african-americans there, the hispanic race are just now coming to Indianapolis, but they are coming in HIGH numbers, in fact if im not mistaken, we have had the highest increase percentage wise of hispanics than any other major city, and its not slowing down either, we lack some diversity, but if thats not important to you, then you wont really care

Id recommend living here, but i would recommend sticking to moving to the outer-regions of Marion county, Old city limits isnt part of the city youd exactly want to move a family too unless you have too....id stay away from parts of the westside and eastside, and try to find somewhere on the NorthSide of the city, Geist, Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Kessler area etc. etc.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 36,723 times
Default Fishers Traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
uhhh ... no ... Fishers still has lots of land that is yet to be developed. And we also have easy access to I-69 and I-70 to get into the city. I can get to the zoo, the museums, Colts, etc. in 25-40 minutes. I'm not bashing Carmel or Z-ville. Both are lovely, but your giving misinformation.

hmmm....ok..but if you notice I said that it was my impression about the traffic due to building that has already taken place. The fact that Fisher still has lots of land yet to be developed tells me that traffic is only going to get worse when driving in I-69 to I-465.

You might want to read the following regarding the Fishers' traffic issue from the Sep 13th Indy Star....which in part reads: ...."According to traffic numbers on the INDOT Web site, more than 80,000 vehicles travel on I-69 near the 116th Street interchange every day. But the problem is not limited to that area: The thickest congestion on I-69 is near I-465, where more than 100,000 cars travel daily, state officials said.
"This is not just a Fishers issue," Fishers Town Council President Scott Faultless said. "It's a regional issue that needs a regional solution. And that's what the state is doing."

Hopefully, what is being done will help alleviate the existing problems but I would be apprehensive that future development in the "land yet to be developed" will lead to a further increase in traffic problems. The full article can be found at www.indystar.com

Regards,
Mo

Last edited by Mo4iu; 09-13-2006 at 09:26 PM..

Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo4iu View Post
But the problem is not limited to that area: The thickest congestion on I-69 is near I-465, where more than 100,000 cars travel daily, state officials said.
I-69 & 465 is Indianapolis ... not Fishers. They just redid the 116th interchange ... the one that is really the pits is the 82nd street entrance and exit in Castleton.

They are also going to re-do the interchange at Exit 10 with the new mall coming in. Fishers is trying as hard as it can to be proactive. Personally, I want to see light rail since Fishers already has a train station.

R-gards back atcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana