Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 20,723 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of relocating from Northern California to NW Indiana. I've gone as far as buying a beautiful and cheap house in a little podunk town near Valparaiso. I love the idea of getting so much information and advice from others in my situation.

I visited Valpo this summer and fell in love with the area. Next week I go back to California to finish gathering my belongings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Kouts?? I lived in Valpo and taught at the law school 4 years ago. I loved living there. It's not quite suburban Chicago ... yet ...but Chicago is easily accessible via train or driving. Crime is low, the population is educated. You really get a mix. Winters can be snow laden. I remember one year, there was a small snow belt that settled on Chesterton & Valpo for about 6 hours. Nobody else got anything, just Chesterton & Valpo. It was weird weird werid. Invest in a good and powerful snowblower.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM

8 posts, read 26,945 times
Check out Carmel - very affluent community - if you're coming from Cali, you'll enjoy what you can get for your $ in Indiana! I lived in Noblesville and would move back in a minute if I could! Great parks/greenways, great schools, great neighborhoods, great people! I am originally from Avon and would consider looking there as well but the "Northside" of Indy (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville) is definately the place to be. In general, I believe Indiana is a friendly place - I wouldn't advise going North of Lafayette. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Well you are all offering up some great pros and cons. It's hard to imagine anything but CA. I guess the grass always looks greener, etc. etc.

Indiana sounds great, but like they say, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. We're hoping to pay the Hoosier state a visit next summer when we take our annual vacation.

We're planning on visiting the Fishers, Noblesville area. Any other areas to consider and why?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 26,945 times
i live in a podunk town 25 miles south of Valpo! Hope you like it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantboromir View Post
I am currently in the process of relocating from Northern California to NW Indiana. I've gone as far as buying a beautiful and cheap house in a little podunk town near Valparaiso. I love the idea of getting so much information and advice from others in my situation.

I visited Valpo this summer and fell in love with the area. Next week I go back to California to finish gathering my belongings.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Well you are all offering up some great pros and cons. It's hard to imagine anything but CA. I guess the grass always looks greener, etc. etc.

Indiana sounds great, but like they say, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. We're hoping to pay the Hoosier state a visit next summer when we take our annual vacation.

We're planning on visiting the Fishers, Noblesville area. Any other areas to consider and why?
Also look at Carmel and Zionsville. Carmel is directly north of Indianapolis and Zionsville is west of Carmel. Carmel has grown tremendously in the past 10 years, but is a great place to live. It is convienent to just about everything you would need/want to get to in the Indianapolis area. Zionsville has a "smaller town" feel than Carmel does. Although Carmel is doing a lot of building in their downtown area to achieve a similar feeling. Carmel and Zionsville, respectively, were the only 2 public high schools to be in the top 10 high schools in the Indianapolis area (within 50 miles of Indianapolis). (This is based on Indianapolis Monthly's rankings last year.) School wise, these are definitely two town to look into if your children will attend public school.

At this point, I am sure you know that Indianapolis is very spread out, much of which is suburban itself. Another area to consider would be Geist, which is in Indianapolis. It is a large reservoir with a lot of VERY nice houses in that area. Carmel and Zionsville also have lots of very nice houses! Carmel does have lower property taxes than Indianapolis.

Fishers and Noblesville are both nice areas. Not quite as nice (or respectable to some) as say Carmel. Both have a lot of construction with new housing developments, especially Noblesville! Noblesville has a large reservoir as well, called Morse Reservoir.

One other area to consider would be Westfield. Westfield is just north of Carmel and west of Noblesville. Until recently, I've never thought too highly of Westfield compared to Carmel or Zionsville, but recently they are building a lot of very nice neighborhoods in it. The school system is a bit smaller than Carmel's, but it is a quickly growing area!

Most of the main public schools in the Indianapolis/Northside suburb areas are roughly the same size (i.e. North Central, Pike, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, Carmel, etc.). But Carmel is a very good school and has excellent sports.

There are also some private schools around here that are very good schools (several new within the past 5 years, too, that are ranked highly--in the top 10). Once your children get to high school years, if you are considering private schools, I am sure you will be glad to find that private schools here are a fraction of what they cost on the coasts!

anyway, hope this helps! good luck with your search and move!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
In the northeast Fort Wayne is pretty big, plus it's got FiOS. But if you want to live in a smaller area, there are plenty of areas around Allen County that are really small. Also, the northern area is really close to 80/90 which is a toll road that will take you right in PA.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM

67 posts, read 339,339 times
Digdug,
Dragondog is right..there is some cultural shock. I know..I moved from San Diego CA to Indianapolis IN. trust me, there was cultural shock. I'm now back in San Diego.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:00 PM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDiva View Post
Digdug,
Dragondog is right..there is some cultural shock. I know..I moved from San Diego CA to Indianapolis IN. trust me, there was cultural shock. I'm now back in San Diego.
I'm afraid that's what would happen to me, despite the fact that I like the Midwest. However, it's one thing to visit while you're on vacation and quite another to actually live there day to day like the natives, including going to work every day on the highways, etc. One thing that I have real reservations about is the cold winter weather and learning to drive on icy roads and snow. I'd most likely be like you and just end up moving back here. And yes, San Diego is quite lovely with that year-round mild weather.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 25,708 times
Default Culture Shock

Heed the words of WestCoastDiva. I am from the West Coast myself,
but have business interests here, so I go back and forth a lot. If you do
come to Indy, check out Broad Ripple Village in the heart of the City, surrounding the White River and the Monon Trail. If there is any culture
in this city it is here -- and here you will find refreshing elements of progressive thinking and quaint charm. It is simply the most 'happenin' part of Indy, and has lovely neighborhoods with personality and fun restaurants.
Also, I understand that for people with Young children Washington Township where Broad Ripple is, has among the best schools in the city.
Carmel, Zionsville, et.al, have good high-schools and are 'affluent' I suppose, but the local culture encourages a sense of self-importance and haughtyness that is somewhat disconcerting.

Some business acquaintances who were transferred from Boston
searched around these areas quite a bit, until they discovered Broad Ripple and quickly found a home they loved.
[Carmel is 'the place to be' if you're a seller or an RE, because there are a lot of homes on the market, right now.]

Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Broad Ripple is part of the Indianapolis Public School system ... be very wary on that one. Washington Twp schools are north or Broad Ripple and has their own separate school system. The feeder high school for Washington Twp is North Central High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana