Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
was the Newspaper smaller as you said?
Smaller companies could generally have smaller pay.
Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times are pretty big newspaper companies.
Also you have to consider Disposible income.
For example lets just use 100,000$ a year as a base.
if i move from Chicago to Indianapolis my cost of living drops 25% so if i made 100,000$ a year in Chicago i could make only 75,000 a year and sustain the same standard of living. But the average wage in Indianapolis is only 8% less than compared to Chicago.
Hence why i always look at DISPOSIBLE income over everything cause when you boil it down taxes deductions etc thats what matters cause thats what you take home.
Flordia probably has a lower cost of living than Chicago so that has to be taken into account too.
I personally use this website to consider the advantage of moving from X location to Y location. City of Indianapolis Cost of Living Calculator. Indiana--Indianapolis Relocation Calculator & Index.
Because it also considers average wage reduction or increase.
going from $21 an hour to $2.38 ... did you not read that????

Yea, those state legislators sure showed those 10%-ers a thing or three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,519,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
going from $21 an hour to $2.38 ... did you not read that????

Yea, those state legislators sure showed those 10%-ers a thing or three.

2.38? holy **** was this in the 80s or were the *cheating* the minimum wage?
Thats unbelievable ouch unless this was in the 80s which was a different time we all know that i find that hard to believe cause we have minimum wage.
But then again someone or company finds a loophole somewhere.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 AM

It remains to be seen how all of this will shake out. You'll always have employers who believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to paying workers a fair/living wage, but then there will be those that won't. Since union workers are in the minority, I'm not certain you will see a whole lot change other than the politicians using it as a talking point they they crushed union dominance over the stae of Indiana ...

Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I refuse to take sides but I will tell you a real story. A few years ago when my mate and I were living in Chicago we did not like the Chicago winters. Mate's brother said come on down to Florida. You can find a job. My mate was a printer making close to $21/hr in a non-union shop. We trotted down to Florida - a right to work state. The best job mate could find was night shift manager at a small newspaper. The pay was a whopping $2.38/hr with no benefits. We returned to Illinois.

Here is some information I found on the RTW Law: Bad for Indiana - Why "Right to Work" is Bad for Indiana and Bad for Hoosiers! - Home
OK, that one is just hard to believe. He's not a waiter or anything like that so, his employer is bound by the same minimum wage law every other company in respective state is bound by which is 7.65 in Florida. Minimum wages for tipped jobs in FL, is 4.67 so how you come up with 2.38 is well beyond me.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 AM

ok, so going from $21 to the minimum wage in FL is any better???

Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
OK, that one is just hard to believe. He's not a waiter or anything like that so, his employer is bound by the same minimum wage law every other company in respective state is bound by which is 7.65 in Florida. Minimum wages for tipped jobs in FL, is 4.67 so how you come up with 2.38 is well beyond me.
I reread that comment and in nowhere did the poster say what year that this incident even took place .

Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I reread that comment and in nowhere did the poster say what year that this incident even took place .
Quote:
I refuse to take sides but I will tell you a real story. A few years ago when my mate and I were living in Chicago we did not like the Chicago winters. Mate's brother said come on down to Florida. You can find a job. My mate was a printer making close to $21/hr in a non-union shop. We trotted down to Florida - a right to work state. The best job mate could find was night shift manager at a small newspaper. The pay was a whopping $2.38/hr with no benefits. We returned to Illinois.
Yes he did. Now I'm sure it was a typo as for a United States citizen, that wage just cannot legally be that low in the union. He probably meant 12.38/hr which is believable depending on where in Florida and how large small the newspaper is. I'm sure it wasn't the Herald looking at the wage which should still be a slightly lower rate than Chicago due to COL just being cheaper down there. For a small town newspaper, yes it can get that low no matter where you are.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Yes he did. Now I'm sure it was a typo as for a United States citizen, that wage just cannot legally be that low in the union. He probably meant 12.38/hr which is believable depending on where in Florida and how large small the newspaper is. I'm sure it wasn't the Herald looking at the wage which should still be a slightly lower rate than Chicago due to COL just being cheaper down there. For a small town newspaper, yes it can get that low no matter where you are.

No,he didn't .He said it was a few years ago ,what was 5 or 10 years ago .As for the wage ,yes you can have wages that low though all I can think is waitress .A friend made a very similiar wage on the hour.Most of the rest of her salary was made in tips .

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,155,977 times
RTW does not produce more jobs. Stop listening to junk science.

Working hard to make Indiana look bad: The tortured, uphill case for ‘right-to-work’ | Economic Policy Institute

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,081,895 times
RTW wont' produce more jobs. Jobs are gone for the most part. Wouldn't surprise me to see even more stuff shipped overseas or down to Mexico. If oil goes up to a price where ocean shipping is just too costly and slow, then we will see production moved back to Mexico or other lower income Latin America countries. However, if Mexico finally breaks out into a full civil war, production would finally come back to the US. However, if production costs are higher for simple "push this button, pull that lever" factory work, enviro reg costs, 40 hour work week, etc.., then expect prices to rise for consumers.

The problem with this country is that the cost to live life, which to me isn't a new car every three years, or a $2,000 per person vacation every year, or being able to afford cable, or even an 50" HDTV. Life is simply being able to afford a good shelter (home), food, water, and since we are in the snow belt, heat. Government and greedy business practices have ruined everything. $10/hour jobs would be fine if housing costs reduced to the early 80s prices (when my folks paid just $60K for a 1/2 acre, 2,000 sq ft, two car attached garage, all stone home in a good school district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana