Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,438,326 times

Advertisements

Bloomington is paradise compared to the rest of Indiana. I don't care for Indiana all that much but I do love that town. And, I would have to differ about Fort wayne. The arrogance of people in that town would make people in L.A. blush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

257 posts, read 609,447 times
I grew up in South Bend and did my undergrad degree in West Lafayette at Purdue, then years later spent almost five years living in Bloomington getting a master's degree and teaching at the University.

Indiana is not my cup of tea, I get bored to easily to live there, but Bloomington is the only town in Indiana I would halfway consider living in again (if I were to pursue another degree there or otherwise had a reason to go back, not for the sake of living there alone). It's like an oasis in the middle of Indiana, it's not as conservative, it's got the arts (with the University there) and small, cute coffee shops and places to hang out. People don't seem (as) allergic to exercise and being active there as the rest of the state, too.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 98,434 times
I have lived in Bloomington most of my life and love it.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,398,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Bloomington is paradise compared to the rest of Indiana. I don't care for Indiana all that much but I do love that town. And, I would have to differ about Fort wayne. The arrogance of people in that town would make people in L.A. blush.
WOW! Talk about arrogance/ignorance, you must be from Fort Wayne then, huh?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
WOW! Talk about arrogance/ignorance, you must be from Fort Wayne then, huh?
No. Although, I play in a hockey league there on the weekends. Very different people. I'm not saying everybody is like that, but damn, it's hardly un-noticable.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,991,814 times
Quote:
No. Although, I play in a hockey league there on the weekends. Very different people. I'm not saying everybody is like that, but damn, it's hardly un-noticable.
So your view of Fort Wayne which you've marketed online as applying to a lot of people who live here (you certainly didn't specify anything else) is determined by your limited experiences in a weekly hockey league... that's wonderful and so insightful! Thanks for sharing.

Nevermind that ice hockey is generally played by type-A personality, very athletic, significantly affluent, professional, and white males... because of course they're everywhere and represent the population of Fort Wayne as a whole... no no no, nevermind that at all.

The guys I've met in bowling League, in a couple men's fraternities, while golfing, while out and about, and also at family gatherings have mostly been very friendly. Having been in Fort Wayne for years (actually living here), I'd say I have been pleasantly surprised by the kindness of the people I've interacted with. Mid-Western hospitality seems alive and well in Fort Wayne Indiana, and its one of the many reasons I'm still here.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,036,630 times
Quote:
And yet, you're the one who puts Bloomington on such a high pedestal compared to the rest of Indiana and bashing Fort Wayne in the process. Now THAT's arrogant.

And personally, I don't care for Bloomington at all. I just don't understand the fascination people have with it. Rednecks, meth labs, trailers, oh my!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
Bloomington is a great town. With the University, you have access to cultural activities that are usually only reserved for big cities. I'm not sure about the things Colts listed as being in the city proper ... maybe outside of Bloomington? My time there was fun. I was a grad student. Rrah has been very good about giving Bloomington perspectives from a civilian (how was your trip to Columbus btw?)

Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
And yet, you're the one who puts Bloomington on such a high pedestal compared to the rest of Indiana and bashing Fort Wayne in the process. Now THAT's arrogant.

And personally, I don't care for Bloomington at all. I just don't understand the fascination people have with it. Rednecks, meth labs, trailers, oh my!
How is that arrogant??? I don't live in Fort Wayne, and I don't live in Bloomington. Now if i LIVED in Bloomington that would make my statement somewhat arrogant. I just don't like Fort Wayne. Plain and simple. I suppose if strip clubs, Wal-Marts, and single-A ice hockey are your things then Fort Wayne is a midwestern version of Florence.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
Quote:
I just don't like Fort Wayne. Plain and simple.

You should have just said that to begin with rather than taking pot shot at the folks who live there. I'm sure there are other holes in America where the people aren't arrogant ... the only arrogance I've experienced in this state were from transplants who thought it was beneath them to live in our state.

And considering there aren't any NHL teams in Indy, even having Class A is a good thing for people who enjoy games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana