Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times

Advertisements

Or does Bloomington offer something more special than the rest of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,432 times
I have my reasons for not liking Indiana. But just because what I may think, I would definitely tell anyone wanting to come here to make sure if they can to check out Fort Wayne, because if I absolutely had to stay in Indiana I would move about 10 minutes east from where I live and move to Fort Wayne. They are on the right track with brining in work, revitalizing downtown, expanding their walking and biking trails, and much more. With the few projects Fort Wayne has started as much as people don't like them it will be good for the city. Because I enjoy being in downtown Fort Wayne, they just need much more to do. And with the projects they are doing it will bring much more to do downtown. If they put in an arcade that would be even better. I still like arcades.

Anyways, from what I know/knew of Bloomington is that it's a College/University town. And that's really all I know of it.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM

17 posts, read 78,888 times
Can't speak for others, but I like Indiana a lot. I grew up on the West coast and have lived all over. I like Indiana for the low cost of living, good schools, low taxes, and generally high quality of life. I find the people to be hardworking and friendly. There is some snobishness here and there, but this is a factor everywhere. I lived in Ft. Wayne and preferred the SW side (Aboite Township). Currently I'm in Westfield (North of Indy) and like the area very much.

I have been to Bloomington only once and find the area to be a nice town, though I am not a big fan of living in smaller college towns in general. (Personal preference). If you like the outdoors, particularly bicycling, the Bloomington/Nashville area is excellent.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
It seems the marrieds with kids like it here, because housing is cheap. Some of the schools are good. But for a single person, it is sheer hell here. The women are almost cruel to other single women. I have seen it time and time again. At work, being married is a status symbol to them. If someone isn't married, they view it as unworthiness. It is really small-mindedness, because everyone's situation is different.
I couldn't believe something that happened today while eating lunch. A person next to me was talking to me, and later, I commented on something that was in the middle of the table. One of the middle-aged man-haired women got on her high horse and practically scolded me and said, "We just talked about that, where the hell where you?" and then went on about it. I didn't bat an eye. I have seen this kind of behavior before.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Sorry neb. Truly.

I remember when I was in Chicago, I was on an elevator, and mind you, I was married at the time, but without children. A secretary got on the elevator with me and we started chatting about how a co-worker was at home with her sick kids. I don't even remember what I said (the co-worker is a very good friend, so I'm sure it wasn't nasty). She sniped back at me "you just don't understand, you don't have kids". Geez!!! So neb, it doesn't get easier if you are married, if you are married without kids, you are also looked at as a freak sometimes.

My point is this, that comment could and would happen anywhere. Sounds like your place of employment is staffed with nasty people. Was this "man-haired" (??????) woman married, or talking about being married? Do you think that comment was directed at you because you are single?

I guess to some people, being married is what defines them ... euuwwww. That's pretty pathetic.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,604 times
I am married and either of us want children. This was the main factor that played part in us getting married. It's very hard to find a girl who dont want kids, and even harder to find that in Indiana. I got VERY lucky. It's my personal preference and my RIGHT as an American citizen to choose whether or not I want to create life or not. It's hard around here because many of our friends and family dont understand us. Thats fine, let them wonder. Life is rough enough without having a lifelong resposibility to tend to. Thats just my opinion and I am definatly in the minority on this one I admit.

It seems people in Fort Wayne are in general happier and more positive about Indiana than the rest of the towns. I've been to Ft. Wayne and wasn't impressed. It seemed the same as all the other midwest towns to me anyways. But I guess if ya gotta be in this sock state thats the town to live in.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM

One of my best friends from college had a heckuva a time finding a HUSBAND who didn't want kids! To each his or her own I say! Children are a lifelong commitment and definitely not for everyone. I respect anyone's decision one way or the other. Anyone who treats someone different because they don't have kids is a jerk, so sayeth I.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Sorry neb. Truly.

I remember when I was in Chicago, I was on an elevator, and mind you, I was married at the time, but without children. A secretary got on the elevator with me and we started chatting about how a co-worker was at home with her sick kids. I don't even remember what I said (the co-worker is a very good friend, so I'm sure it wasn't nasty). She sniped back at me "you just don't understand, you don't have kids". Geez!!! So neb, it doesn't get easier if you are married, if you are married without kids, you are also looked at as a freak sometimes.

My point is this, that comment could and would happen anywhere. Sounds like your place of employment is staffed with nasty people. Was this "man-haired" (??????) woman married, or talking about being married? Do you think that comment was directed at you because you are single?

I guess to some people, being married is what defines them ... euuwwww. That's pretty pathetic.
Yeah, it is that thing they do when they are married. I was once married, but I never divided the world into marrieds and not-marrieds. I had/have friends who are married, divorced, remarried, single, etc.
Some women talk about their marriage like it is a shiny new car in the driveway.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 AM

Well, I guess for some women, it's something that they dream of since childhood. Again, if someone chooses to define themselves by being married, well, have it at. I never entertained the thought of marriage until I was almost 30 and didn't feel like having kids till my mid 30's. I'm glad I waited. I'm happier for it.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,420 times
I like it here in Indiana just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana