Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,035,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ok, let's talk then.
I'm not saying Bloomington is not a nice place to live--it surely is, but it isn't anything special compared to most other mid-sized college towns.

What irritates me is this sort of smug superiority complex that only people connected to Bloomington/IU seem to exhibit. They think that their city is on its own pedestal compared to everywhere else, and it really isn't. I would agree that the city is nicer than most places in Indiana but only because it is a college town. Of course it isn't overrun with rednecks and white trash either, but they do in fact live there.

Outside of the school's reach Bloomington is similar to most Indiana towns. This is all I'm saying. It's just funny how some people would like me to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 PM

63 posts, read 430,578 times
Bloomington is a good place to be.

PROS: entertainment/events come to IU Auditorium throughout the year annually, IU Basketball (and football lately) games are huge events, calm and safe place

CONS: people you know through the university end up leaving because of finishing school, people you know in town can wear on you over time in a negative way

It's a good place to live if you want to be connected to the university, but there are probably other places in the midwest that would be more satisfying for the long term.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:12 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
I actually think you are right! Bloomington is a nice place to live because of the university, not in spite of it. There aren't many towns that can boast worldclass cultural activities, art museum, libraries (which are open to the public). I'm not sure what Bloomington would be like without IU. Similar, I feel the same way about Columbus, what would it be like without Cummins? Before I went to IU for grad school, I always seemed to run into IU students who thought their poo didn't stink because they went to IU ... never quite got that attitude and never acquired it myself.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times
Well--I've been busy in my other life to post much the past month--but finally my take on B-ton compared to the rest of the state.

Bloomington is special because of the university and the relationship between the univeristy and the town. There is a synergy and co-dependence that exists here that I suspect doesn't exist in many college towns. I think most credit Herman B. Wells with that. I believe the new IU president understands the importance of that relationship. I don't think the last 2 did.

Do we have our share of liberals--yes, our share of rednecks, white trash, etc.- yes,
I can't speak for the entire town, but I've come to a time in my life where I try to see the good in people, overlooking the labels. (ok--not easy when I'm at Super Walmart at 8:00 on Sun night picking up some much needed supply so a child can FINISH a project, and 1/2 the customers are wearing their pjs, but.....)

I think what makes it special it's that it's one of the few places in the state where people from all walks of life try to get along. I think in a post a few months ago I wrote about a school event I was at. There at the same little party was a farmer, a couple of professors, a few blue collar workers, etc. Were we all ever going to be best friends? Probably not, but our teenage children all had something in common, and they could be friends, not concerned with labels, etc. We could all enjoy one another's company for a pleasant evening. That doesn't happen in many places. That this happens in a place that is blessed with hills, trees, etc. makes it better.

When my husband and I decided to leave the suburban sprawl of Chicago and move home to IN, the one place we could agree upon was Bloomington. I don't know if it's better than the rest of the state. I only know I like living here and haven't regretted moving here.

(domergurl--trip to Columbus was fine. Don't EVER let anyone stay at the nasty, dirty motel behind the gas station (Super 8 I think) Unfortunately for the first night of our stay it was all that was available. Night 2 was in the much cleaner Courtyard. We enjoyed an Italian place--I think it was a chain, but good. Daughter was tired and wanted to just relax so we didn't do much. Actually we both woke up with colds. I really believe it was from the nasty motel.)

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
Lightbulb Bloomington, not so bad...

so i've read all these posts from people who moved to bloomington for school or work, or once lived here but have since left, but let me give you a little perspective from a true townie! i've never lived anywhere but Bloomington my whole life, and i in no way think its the best place on earth. i do think some people who've only visted or passed through have made some incorrect assumptions. my point of view may be diffrent because i'm part of that redneck society some of you have referred to. Bloomington is beautiful. regaurdless if your refering to downtown or the amazing views at lakes Lemon and Monroe. The people here are for the most part down to earth and laid back. to be honest the biggest problem i have is dealing with some of the snobs that attend IU. i'm by no means claiming us townies are saints of this so called "utopia", but in day to day passing i do find myself wanting to scream at the 900 girls a day i see wondering around walmart in disgust with their northface jackets, black leggings and ugg boots (but thats just me). i guess i like bloomington because as others have said they're a wide contrast of people living here. from truck drivers to the girls in the ugg boots. it's a great place to raise a family and above all offers a nice slice of small town life in the middle of a crazy college town. i don't think bloomington is perfect, and i'm planning a move to tennessee, but i doubt i will find anywhere i love as much as bloomington...but i guess i'm just a little biased.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 AM

10 posts, read 60,965 times
I lived in Bloomington for 4 years during college and loved it. Aside from the college life, Bloomington has a great downtown square, the landscape is beautiful with large limestone formations and cliffs and it is heavily wooded and NOT a flat farm area. It is hilly, there are tons or restaurants and lots of culture. Lots of Indian, Thai, Jewish, and other Exotic foods. Lots of college students, but most are polite and well educated. It's a very intellectual town. It is only about an hour south of Indianapolis. There are no 'bad' parts of Bloomington. Just a couple only slightly trashy trailer parks. Most of the houses are very nice in nice neighborhoods. The south side is the 'newer' side of town and Bloomington South is the better high school.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 56,404 times
I've live here for 2 years. This is the gloomiest state I've ever lived in. It's no wonder it made it to the top ten of the most depressed states.

As for Bloomington, I went there yesterday for the first time. Impoverished and trashy is all I saw since leaving the 465 freeway.
I may have missed the more modern of town though if there is one as I exited to College/Walnut from the 37 and re-entered the 37 from 2nd St.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 124,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81s4u View Post
I've live here for 2 years. This is the gloomiest state I've ever lived in. It's no wonder it made it to the top ten of the most depressed states.

As for Bloomington, I went there yesterday for the first time. Impoverished and trashy is all I saw since leaving the 465 freeway.
I may have missed the more modern of town though if there is one as I exited to College/Walnut from the 37 and re-entered the 37 from 2nd St.
Yeah, you went right through the older section of town, up and down Walnut/College. But you did go through our downtown area. If you had gone down Kirkwood, you would have gotten the college flavor, and drove around campus. East of town is where most of the newer type houses are and mall. Also new box stores on the west side as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 15,907 times
I grew up in Columibia and graduated from MU. I currently live in Bloomington, I had graduated from IU. The reason we moved to Bloomington is because it was similar to Columbia. Many of the IU students are from East Coast. Cost of living is similar between the two places. There's more to offer with educational choices and food varieties in Columbia. Both towns are more liberal compare to nearby towns.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Default B-town...anything but poverty

I'm from Indiana, not from Bloomington, and I love it. I'm a current IU student, and I totally advocate for this area. There's a great mix of ages, ethnicities, cultural experiences, political involvement, shops, it's everyone's town...mainly because of IU. Even without IU B-town is beautiful, southern Indiana hills, beautiful fall colors, a little rough in the winter to get around, but still beautiful! I prefer Bloomington to my hometown by a long shot. I don't plan on living here my whole life, but it's a perfect town to raise a family. Moderate sized public schools where kids won't get lost in the system, and still have a chance to play Varsity sports even though they might not be "all-stars." There are sooo many opportunities for people to get involved in volunteer or nonprofit work through Bloomington Parks and Rec, Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, and many others.

Activities are endless all year around, world class musical talent provided by the Jacobs School of Music and IU Theater Department at the Musical Arts Center and IU Auditorium (at a moderate price), IU sports across the board from soccer, diving, ice-skating, hockey FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, etc, even things like the Lotus Festival (talk about a cultural eye opener), not to mention concerts around Little 500 Elvis Costello, Something Corporate, number of Rap artist, etc., and all the political speakers. Historical monuments are everywhere, IU itself is historical with mentions of the CCC in several of the Limestone structures. AMAZING place.

And townies?? I don't think it's fair to categorize everyone from Bloomington into a social status, especially a bad one. I'm from approx. 40 minutes away, and am very familiar with the area. If someone thinks every from here is impoverished....you seriously need a reality check. B-town has one of the highest costs of living in Indiana...check out the old first street mansions, Hyde Park, Jackson Creek, and mannny other place around Bloomington....ANYTHING but poverty...many residents are IU professors and administrators....any area is going to have those who are lower on the economic totem pole, but that's life. Bloomington residents should not be given a bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana