Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM

52 posts, read 41,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Liquor is cheaper and car insurance is cheaper.

The climate will always be better here though. I read that it was 104F in Indy today and I felt bad for my family and friends back there. I can't relate too much...65F here and just sunny and gorgeous. Hasn't cracked 80F yet this year where I am at.
It usually doesn't get that hot though. I don't think i Could live in the horrible weather they have during 3-4 months of the year they have in WA though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,903,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
It usually doesn't get that hot though. I don't think i Could live in the horrible weather they have during 3-4 months of the year they have in WA though.
But you can expect that the summers will be quite warm to hot. I can't deal with the heat. I've lost weight since I have been here because I can actually go outside and do things most of the year because the temp is right. In Indiana, it was either way too hot or way too cold most of the time. It was a severe drain on my personal quality of life.

Still, there is a 20% vice tax on hard liquor. Just have to stock up when I go back for Thanksgiving. Another weird thing about WA is that it is very expensive to buy soft drinks in cans. If you get in a 2l bottle, the price is the same as what I would normally find in Indiana, but most 24 packs of anything run about $7-11 here on sale. I also miss Meijer sometimes. I'd rather not shop at Wal-Mart and I am not a big fan of either Target or Fred Meyer. They have a serious crackdown here on unlicensed daycares in WA. It SUCKED because those were basically all I used in Indiana. Now that my daughter is firmly school aged, it is less of an issue than when I first arrived, but still, something that was nicer about Indiana, IMO.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Liquor is cheaper and car insurance is cheaper.

The climate will always be better here though. I read that it was 104F in Indy today and I felt bad for my family and friends back there. I can't relate too much...65F here and just sunny and gorgeous. Hasn't cracked 80F yet this year where I am at.
Climate preferences are subjective. The 104F range heat is unusual for Indianapolis. Very unusual. The typical summer is mid 80s with several days above 90 here and there. I prefer that type of weather to the typically cooler weather in the Northwest. If we had a summer that the temps never climbed above 80F, I would be bummed.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
Allen County Public Library is a public research library with one of the most extensive collections of genealogical resources in the United States.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 AM

52 posts, read 41,665 times
Quote:
But you can expect that the summers will be quite warm to hot. I can't deal with the heat. I've lost weight since I have been here because I can actually go outside and do things most of the year because the temp is right. In Indiana, it was either way too hot or way too cold most of the time. It was a severe drain on my personal quality of life.

Still, there is a 20% vice tax on hard liquor. Just have to stock up when I go back for Thanksgiving. Another weird thing about WA is that it is very expensive to buy soft drinks in cans. If you get in a 2l bottle, the price is the same as what I would normally find in Indiana, but most 24 packs of anything run about $7-11 here on sale. I also miss Meijer sometimes. I'd rather not shop at Wal-Mart and I am not a big fan of either Target or Fred Meyer. They have a serious crackdown here on unlicensed daycares in WA. It SUCKED because those were basically all I used in Indiana. Now that my daughter is firmly school aged, it is less of an issue than when I first arrived, but still, something that was nicer about Indiana, IMO.
Well I guess I should also say in general I don't like liberalism which is something pretty rampant in certain areas of the country. I think most people in Indiana have something more in common with southerners than we do the more liberal states. Again, liberalism and conservatism is preference but I don't much like liberal ideology.

I also like having really warm summers. It's pretty unusual to get temps over 100 in Indiana. This is and unusually hot summer to begin with in general.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,903,423 times
I'm sure you are glad I left Indiana though because I do swing towards the left. It was a large part of the attraction to Western Washington, a more liberal and less religious population. Even the conservatives here I tolerate much better as they tend to be to be the libertarian sort instead of the republican sort (ie liberal conservative vs. social conservative). I do believe my overall quality of life is better in WA than in IN save a few minor inconveniences. Let's put it like this:

WA vs. IN? I'd pick WA.
IN vs. TX, AR, MS, KS, AZ, OK? Oh hell no, I would pick IN every time.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM

18 posts, read 21,533 times
conservative.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM

48 posts, read 73,116 times
I just move here from Mississippi and so far I like Indiana. Indianapolis is a cool city and many activities to do there.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,876,622 times
Bloomington A great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana