Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
Check out the fort wayne area. We have 2 malls and a costco, 2nd largest city in IN and plenty of country outside the city. Carroll or homestead are the 2 best public schools but there are also private and parochial choices.
I agree with Baby Bear. Fort Wayne is Indiana's second largest city. They have a fairly diverse economy, relatively inexpensive housing, a good educational system, and several good hospitals. I was born and raised in central Indiana yet I spent 33 years living in the Fort Wayne area. Fort Wayne has a semi professional baseball team with a beautiful downtown stadium and they also have a semi professional hockey team that has been in Fort Wayne for about 66 years. Fort Wayne has several nice city parks and a bike/walking trail known as the River Greenway.

If you want to avoid the congestion and higher prices of Indy and the East Chicago area I'd give Fort Wayne a look. It's a larger city with a small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM

89 posts, read 113,617 times
Quote:
Check out the fort wayne area. We have 2 malls and a costco, 2nd largest city in IN and plenty of country outside the city. Carroll or homestead are the 2 best public schools but there are also private and parochial choices.

I actually have looked into Fortwayne, I just can't find a home close enough to a good HS. I have told my mom to move there thou. It's one of the cheapest cities where you can live on social security.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM

307 posts, read 255,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
I actually have looked into Fortwayne, I just can't find a home close enough to a good HS. I have told my mom to move there thou. It's one of the cheapest cities where you can live on social security.

What's your budget and sq/ft needs for a house? NWACS and SWACS are really good and their territories include the countryside. EACS aren't too bad either and honestly FWCS can get a bad rap but kids can and do thrive there...it all depends on how involved the parents are especially with FWCS.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What's your budget and sq/ft needs for a house? NWACS and SWACS are really good and their territories include the countryside. EACS aren't too bad either and honestly FWCS can get a bad rap but kids can and do thrive there...it all depends on how involved the parents are especially with FWCS.
3500sqf + basement 4 bedrooms or more and at least 3bathrooms.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Don't discount smaller communities....you don't necessarily need to be in a large metro area to get good internet, some communities, such as Scottsburg, in So Indiana (commute distance to Louisville) have their own county wide wireless broadband system (C3BB). Lots or rural property available, not sure how the schools would compare tho'.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Don't discount smaller communities....you don't necessarily need to be in a large metro area to get good internet, some communities, such as Scottsburg, in So Indiana (commute distance to Louisville) have their own county wide wireless broadband system (C3BB). Lots or rural property available, not sure how the schools would compare tho'.

Regards
Gemstone1
Yes i looked at Sccottburg schools are not on par with what we want.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM

174 posts, read 244,395 times
If you are looking for the more affordability that Indy area will offer versus say Bloomington area definitely check out Hendricks County and Center Grove areas as suggested previously. Plainfield and Danville are also ranked fairly high and growing. I think just west of Plainfield and Brownsburg are your best bets for being close to shopping (Perry Crossing in Plainfield) and to Indy when the mood strikes. These areas also have some cheaper homes and acreage. My BIL almost 2 years ago now bought about 2 acres, smaller house though, west of Danville for right around 200,000. It might have been a little bit more price wise. However there are bigger homes on more acres if you look. Some will need work. Again these areas also give you access to Interstates without having to live right on them. Tri-West schools are west of Brownsburg and fairly well rated for how small it is and rural an area and you'll find many several acre homes in that area too.

Center Grove will be more overpriced, IMO, then most of Hendricks County and traffic can be worse with 69 being built as previous posters mentioned. Many of the homes and areas where the acres are available now will soon be neighborhoods. Not that this isn't happening in Plainfield and Brownsburg areas, but there is much more infill that has to occur first. This does put you closer to Greenwood Park Mall and a Costco than Hendricks County.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
If you are looking for the more affordability that Indy area will offer versus say Bloomington area definitely check out Hendricks County and Center Grove areas as suggested previously. Plainfield and Danville are also ranked fairly high and growing. I think just west of Plainfield and Brownsburg are your best bets for being close to shopping (Perry Crossing in Plainfield) and to Indy when the mood strikes. These areas also have some cheaper homes and acreage. My BIL almost 2 years ago now bought about 2 acres, smaller house though, west of Danville for right around 200,000. It might have been a little bit more price wise. However there are bigger homes on more acres if you look. Some will need work. Again these areas also give you access to Interstates without having to live right on them. Tri-West schools are west of Brownsburg and fairly well rated for how small it is and rural an area and you'll find many several acre homes in that area too.

Center Grove will be more overpriced, IMO, then most of Hendricks County and traffic can be worse with 69 being built as previous posters mentioned. Many of the homes and areas where the acres are available now will soon be neighborhoods. Not that this isn't happening in Plainfield and Brownsburg areas, but there is much more infill that has to occur first. This does put you closer to Greenwood Park Mall and a Costco than Hendricks County.

Thanks for the input I'm looking, you know I have found houses that I wanted. But they sell before i could pounce

This one for example

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...97325400_zpid/

Last edited by noahp45; 09-10-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
Yes i looked at Sccottburg schools are not on par with what we want.
No...but Lanesville, Floyds Knobs, and Harrison County schools are. Look especially at Lanesville. An absolute hidden gem! Feels rural but right in the Louisville MSA...beautiful rolling hills, caves, and cheap land! shhh don't tell everyone

Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I agree with Baby Bear. Fort Wayne is Indiana's second largest city. They have a fairly diverse economy, relatively inexpensive housing, a good educational system, and several good hospitals. I was born and raised in central Indiana yet I spent 33 years living in the Fort Wayne area. Fort Wayne has a semi professional baseball team with a beautiful downtown stadium and they also have a semi professional hockey team that has been in Fort Wayne for about 66 years. Fort Wayne has several nice city parks and a bike/walking trail known as the River Greenway.

If you want to avoid the congestion and higher prices of Indy and the East Chicago area I'd give Fort Wayne a look. It's a larger city with a small town feel.
Let's be real here though...Indiana's effective second largest city is NW Indiana. After that, Louisville's S. Indiana Suburbs combined are about the same size as Ft Wayne...add in much better weather and the Louisville MSA which is substantially bigger than Ft Wayne....the op needs to seriously consider this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana