Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 11:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
Just got back from Evansville, I loved everything about the area. My wife and I went to the Highschool and talked to the teachers and councilors. Went to the home I'm buying and I was blown away by the quality of the home. I didn't want to come back to California. I hit no traffic, I walked around down town didn't see and graffiti or trash. I talk to people and they were all about giving me information and letting me know about the area. Went to I nice pizza restaurant bought 4 beers and two pizzas and only paid $38. I couldn't believe it... I can't wait to move there.
Southern IN is an undiscovered treasure IMO.

I'm from the South, but lived in Indianapolis for three years. I've been to Evansville a few times. The biggest challenge for most folks wanting to live in southern IN is going to be employment. Pay can be a problem, but the area is so damn dirt cheap that you don't need that much to live on. The people are super friendly and among the best in the country IMO.

I live in northeast TN. Property here is higher than Evansville. A house like this that is $158k in Evansville would push $200k here. While our taxes are lower (no state income tax, better mill rates than IN on average, lower car fees) our prices are higher.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-07204?view=qv

I would be very diligent on schools. I think you'd need to take a much more active role with your kids in a city like Evansville than a rich Indy suburb like Carmel or Zionsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 06:33 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I'm from the South, but lived in Indianapolis for three years. I've been to Evansville a few times. The biggest challenge for most folks wanting to live in southern IN is going to be employment. Pay can be a problem, but the area is so damn dirt cheap that you don't need that much to live on. The people are super friendly and among the best in the country IMO.

I live in northeast TN. Property here is higher than Evansville. A house like this that is $158k in Evansville would push $200k here. While our taxes are lower (no state income tax, better mill rates than IN on average, lower car fees) our prices are higher.

I would be very diligent on schools. I think you'd need to take a much more active role with your kids in a city like Evansville than a rich Indy suburb like Carmel or Zionsville.
Evansville and most areas of southern Indiana by the Ohio River have bad air quality and are especially bad for anyone with allergies. The most desirable areas are closer to Louisville, the rest of the region suffers from poorly funded schools, very low wages, and other related problems common to more rural areas of the US.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Evansville and most areas of southern Indiana by the Ohio River have bad air quality and are especially bad for anyone with allergies. The most desirable areas are closer to Louisville, the rest of the region suffers from poorly funded schools, very low wages, and other related problems common to more rural areas of the US.
I read online, with no real data to back it up, that Evansville air quality is the same as Manhattan, which is considered poor. They have a lot of power plants in the area so I'm sure there is definitely some air quality issues.

Once we built railroads and streets, large river transportation seemed to decline. Had this not happened as quickly, I'm wondering just how much more growth we would've seen along the Ohio River. Louisville is a nice area, and so is the Cincinnati area.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I read online, with no real data to back it up, that Evansville air quality is the same as Manhattan, which is considered poor. They have a lot of power plants in the area so I'm sure there is definitely some air quality issues.

Once we built railroads and streets, large river transportation seemed to decline. Had this not happened as quickly, I'm wondering just how much more growth we would've seen along the Ohio River. Louisville is a nice area, and so is the Cincinnati area.
There are power plants along the Ohio for quite awhile. I wouldn't say it is the healthiest air by any means, but it's still a decent place to live IMO. m

Old 10-28-2019, 09:52 AM

89 posts, read 113,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

must not be too bad since they didn't make any of the list for the cities with the worst air quality.

10.chicago
9.Dallas
8.DC
7sALT lake city
6.LAS Vegas
5.nyc
4.Houston
3.Denver
2.Phoenix
1.LA

Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I went and checked out the schools, my wife an I were impressed.

I'm sure you might have a higher standard than me. I'm coming from a school with a student to teacher ratio of 44 to 1. Also gangs, drugs, and common core.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Couple of things here.

Southern IN is the most rural and probably the most scenic part of the state. When I lived in Indy, southern IN was my "weekend escape" from the drabness of the Indy metro. There's a very slow pace of life there and southern IN is not "discovered" like a lot of other areas.

Employment is a concern. Pay is a concern, though the cost of living in that part of IN is extremely low. I wouldn't rule it out. If I were to move back to IN and jobs weren't a concern, southern IN would be on the shortlist.

Garden of the Gods is actually in Illinois. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Indy. It isn't close to the population centers in Indiana.

The food in Indiana is fairly simple. Sure, you can find chain dining and better dining in Indy and the bigger metros. The state's culinary claim to fame are pork tenderloins and sugar cream pies. I don't know anything about this specific place, but don't go to IN expecting killer restaurant food. The real gems are the farmer's markets where you can get really, really good cuts of meat. There are also a wider array of veggies and fruits for sale than you might expect.

I seen a lot of jobs that I would be interested in and I'm bringing my father in law. (He his a Machinist) there are plenty of jobs for him and they pay good. He is making $25 hour here in southern California. There in Evansville they pay $35

Old 10-28-2019, 12:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
must not be too bad since they didn't make any of the list for the cities with the worst air quality.

10.chicago
9.Dallas
8.DC
7sALT lake city
6.LAS Vegas
5.nyc
4.Houston
3.Denver
2.Phoenix
1.LA
Various other methodologies also state that there are significant problems and various sources that add to significant problems in the region to make it concerning for many people:

https://itsgoingdown.org/grappling-p...on-evansville/

Air quality in Evansville is atrocious but of course the official monitors are not working | ValleyWatch

Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I seen a lot of jobs that I would be interested in and I'm bringing my father in law. (He his a Machinist) there are plenty of jobs for him and they pay good. He is making $25 hour here in southern California. There in Evansville they pay $35
When I moved to Indiana, the pay was much higher than Tennessee for blue collar roles like that. I doubled my salary and the cost of living wasn't much more. CA also has a ton of people and that might depress wages.

You'll definitely get a better value for your dollar in Evansville.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
When I moved to Indiana, the pay was much higher than Tennessee for blue collar roles like that. I doubled my salary and the cost of living wasn't much more. CA also has a ton of people and that might depress wages.

You'll definitely get a better value for your dollar in Evansville.

Absolutely!

I'm looking at being a LEO or a Safety Manager. I really cant do anything until January
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana