Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM

89 posts, read 113,653 times

Advertisements

good day people of City-data

I will be moving to Indiana from California in less then 9 months. I have been looking at homes in Bloomington, Evansville, Outside of Indianapolis and cities close to Cincinnati like St Leon or Greendale.

I want to be close enough to the city so I can have internet, shop at malls and Costco. But at the same time be far enough so I can have at least 4 acres of land. Will need internet for my two Teenagers. And a great High School! Also don't want to spend more then 400k and I would like to have job options. Would like to be in Law enforcement, OR something that allows me to help people.

I have lived everywhere due to being a military brat and me being a military veteran. Mom is from west Virginia dad is from ohio. I have lived 70% of my life in so cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 02:48 PM

93 posts, read 126,313 times
Hi there,

Have you considered possibly Northwest Indiana? This would be an option worth considering as I believe many of the areas in the region have what you're looking for. Depending on what part of the region you're located in, Chicago is less than an hour away, which brings conveniences such as prime location to international airports.

I think all the parts of Indiana you mentioned - Evansville, Bloomington, etc. - have what you're looking for, but I figured I'd throw out another suggestion!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
Hi there,

Have you considered possibly Northwest Indiana? This would be an option worth considering as I believe many of the areas in the region have what you're looking for. Depending on what part of the region you're located in, Chicago is less than an hour away, which brings conveniences such as prime location to international airports.

I think all the parts of Indiana you mentioned - Evansville, Bloomington, etc. - have what you're looking for, but I figured I'd throw out another suggestion!

I Thought about it, but I don't want nothing to do with Chicago.. Too damn expensive.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
And a great High School!
I like this website for checking out schools and, on a related note, the general demographics of an area:

https://www.schooldigger.com/

Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM

307 posts, read 256,007 times
Check out the fort wayne area. We have 2 malls and a costco, 2nd largest city in IN and plenty of country outside the city. Carroll or homestead are the 2 best public schools but there are also private and parochial choices.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
I Thought about it, but I don't want nothing to do with Chicago.. Too damn expensive.
While NWI is conveniently located to Chicago, there are many residents of the area who don't go to the city. My sister hasn't been to Chicago since 1997, and she lives in a suburb! I would consider checking out the Valparaiso area, LaPorte, or farther south, such as Lowell, far southern Crown Point, or Hebron.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I was raised in NWI. It's very different from the Central and Southern part of the state you mentioned OP. I also find it interesting that the poster suggesting the area is a real estate agent in the area. Just saying. I liked living there as a child, but I'd probably never move back. I can visit a few times a year to get my fill of the things I miss about the area. Plus there is a lot more snow and colder winters compared to Indianapolis and farther south. Although you say you've lived all over, I think your family would be in for a big weather adjustment coming from So. CA.

We left the Chicago area for Bloomington almost 20 years ago. While it has most of the things on your list: great high schools and great internet service (depends on where you are really), we don't have a Costco. We have a Sam's Club. There is a single, smallish mall and a few strip mall type places on one side of town. The majority of stores cater to the IU students. I rarely go there. It's also one of the more expensive real estate markets in the state. The market here is very tight right now. A house near me just was listed for $570,000 on 4 acres. Under $400,000 there isn't much available with that kind of acreage. As much as I love living here, I don't think it would be what you're wanting.

From your list, I'd check out Evansville. I know there is a Costco there and a few malls. Sorry, I don't know much about the schools there.

In the Indianapolis area, I'd check out houses in the Center Grove school district. It's one of the best in the state and it puts you very close to Greenwood. Lots of shopping options in Greenwood. There are multiple towns that make up the school district. One thing to be aware of though is that the main highway that runs nearby, State Rd 37, will be expanding over the next several years and become 69. I think some western parts of the district might be impacted by it. I think this is really your best option.

You might also look in Hendricks County which is west of Indianapolis. Avon and Brownsburg have good high schools. My husband grew up in Hendricks County. We're always stunned by the growth there in the past 20 years. It will put you about 30 mins M/L from Indianapolis. No Costco out there though.

Just a warning--people often mention Hamilton County when posters ask about Indianapolis. You'd be hard pressed to find a house on 4 acres there in your price range.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I was raised in NWI. It's very different from the Central and Southern part of the state you mentioned OP. I also find it interesting that the poster suggesting the area is a real estate agent in the area. Just saying. I liked living there as a child, but I'd probably never move back. I can visit a few times a year to get my fill of the things I miss about the area. Plus there is a lot more snow and colder winters compared to Indianapolis and farther south. Although you say you've lived all over, I think your family would be in for a big weather adjustment coming from So. CA.

We left the Chicago area for Bloomington almost 20 years ago. While it has most of the things on your list: great high schools and great internet service (depends on where you are really), we don't have a Costco. We have a Sam's Club. There is a single, smallish mall and a few strip mall type places on one side of town. The majority of stores cater to the IU students. I rarely go there. It's also one of the more expensive real estate markets in the state. The market here is very tight right now. A house near me just was listed for $570,000 on 4 acres. Under $400,000 there isn't much available with that kind of acreage. As much as I love living here, I don't think it would be what you're wanting.

From your list, I'd check out Evansville. I know there is a Costco there and a few malls. Sorry, I don't know much about the schools there.

In the Indianapolis area, I'd check out houses in the Center Grove school district. It's one of the best in the state and it puts you very close to Greenwood. Lots of shopping options in Greenwood. There are multiple towns that make up the school district. One thing to be aware of though is that the main highway that runs nearby, State Rd 37, will be expanding over the next several years and become 69. I think some western parts of the district might be impacted by it. I think this is really your best option.

You might also look in Hendricks County which is west of Indianapolis. Avon and Brownsburg have good high schools. My husband grew up in Hendricks County. We're always stunned by the growth there in the past 20 years. It will put you about 30 mins M/L from Indianapolis. No Costco out there though.

Just a warning--people often mention Hamilton County when posters ask about Indianapolis. You'd be hard pressed to find a house on 4 acres there in your price range.
Great write up! I totally agree that the weather adjustment from California will take time. On your first point - Yes, I'm a real estate agent in the state of Indiana and Illinois, as noted by my label. However, I'm also a resident of Northwest Indiana, and I love it. That is not to say that I don't believe Indianapolis, Bloomington, etc. would also be just right for OP. FWIW, my kids live in Bloomington and they love it there. I also love Bloomington - it's a great community! I just can't speak on it nearly as much as I can about the northwest part of the state, which is why I suggested NWI, which also fits OP's needs. I strictly write these posts to help those asking, as well as to make further suggestions; the label is there to showcase my credibility, whether I'm posting on a local forum or the Real Estate forum.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
While NWI is conveniently located to Chicago, there are many residents of the area who don't go to the city. My sister hasn't been to Chicago since 1997, and she lives in a suburb! I would consider checking out the Valparaiso area, LaPorte, or farther south, such as Lowell, far southern Crown Point, or Hebron.
Awesome I'll check it out

Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

Good looking out,,great information

The family is ready for the cold we would go to Beaver Utah every winter and ride quads and RZRs and go to Brain Head.

You are right about the homes IN Bloomington, I made a few offers and the sellers didn't want to budge.

I had a home in Evansville but the inspection found some foundation issues that the seller couldn't afford to fix said issues.

Looking at a few homes now, one in Brookville, two in Greenwood and this one caught my eye 8802 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46278. I think I can open enroll my boys into tri-west high school if I get this home. And yes I know I know... only two acres......but it has a inndoor pool.

Also found a home in Danville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana