Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 165,130 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Madison from the Boston area. We were just out house hunting and it is so beautiful. The residents are also very proud that it was just name #4 in the Top 10 towns in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Not only that, but they have a fantastic private school there, Shaw Memorial.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 60,538 times
There's also a movie out about Madison and the Hydro-boat that won in 1971.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 PM

92 posts, read 445,986 times
Oh, I would move to Madison in a heartbeat. I love that town and the river. Best wishes.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM

20 posts, read 76,235 times
I will tell you as a truck driver that I loved some of the small towns on 24 east and west of Fort Wayne which go along the Maumee River. I also love Brown Co. Nashville IN. So I would suggest NE or S in IN. I grew up in Crawfordsville and while it is growing and decent. It doesn't have the feel you are looking for to me. Neither does Greencastle. But the best thing you can do is make it a vacation and do the driving and see for yourself. You could talk to a travel agent or realtor and tell her what you want including a river running through it or hills, or town square and big porches. I knew they can give you some places to go see.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,539 times
Smile Distance From Madison to Louisville

My husband is transferring, and we would LOVE to move to Madison IN. I would love the "small town" feel!

But we would like to know how far it is from Madison to Louisville....Driving wise...not by how the crow flies

We currently live in Greenwood IN and would like to stay on the IN side rather than KY. IN has great schools for our kids.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:06 AM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Post Valparaiso has that smaller town flavor!

I recommend Valparaiso if you want a smaller town that is not too far away from the big city ammenities of the Chicago metro area. The landscape is fairly flat, but their are plenty of older neighborhoods with great parks as well. Their is also a ski area north of town that is popular in the winter. I know people who live there and think highly of the area. Porter County is a blend of big city, suburbia, and small town elements. It has a lot of variety to offer!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,452 times
Default Best Small Town

I had to respond to this post b/c I live in Jasper. And while I love this town for its many good qualities, it's not the best small in town in Indiana. My opinion on that is that it is Madison, on the Ohio River. Madison cannot be beat for friendliness, the diners (try Hinkle's on Main street), fabulous old homes, the river, yet close to big cities Cincy and L'ville (about a 50 minute drive). It is such a lovely place and has a soul and charm that are unmatched in most places I've visited or lived. I grew up there, and actually moved to Jasper (for a job, trying to get out of the city, to change my lifestyle) b/c I thought it would be like Madison - same size, southern Indiana, how different could it be? But it is... Jasper is so isolated and much less diverse than Madison. And it does not have old homes like Madison; people around here tear down old buildings rather than trying to restore them. Jasper is a good place to live, but people here tend to think they are "better" than the rest - the rest being us 'outsiders'.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,443 times
I believe that Haubstadt, IN would certainly fit your idea of a perfect small town. Low taxes, very clean town. Several excellent restaurants. 15 miles from Evansville, 10 miles to the Toyota plant. Minimal crime. Lots of older homes. Pop approx 1500. 2 Catholic churches.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,956 times
I live in Greenwood, IN which is not too small, but Columbus, IN would be a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana