Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 31,939 times

Advertisements

I am looking the for perfect Small Town America" Town to move to. You know, like "Stars Hollow" in Gilmore Girls. With a Town Square and little businesses and a diner, mostly older style houses with big yards! and big front porches!

Do you know of any in Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Columbia City is like this kinda, there are plenty of old houses, and in some places you do get a big yard. Downtown is horrendously tiny, and there are small businesses and diners.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I always thought one of the prettiest towns in Indiana was Jasper.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 AM

89 posts, read 571,317 times
I will second domergurl's comment on Jasper. It is very nice town with a town square and businesses and diners. I'm sure Indiana has plenty of these type of towns, Mt. Vernon and Booneville also come to mind in Southern IN.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 AM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.H View Post
I am looking the for perfect Small Town America" Town to move to. You know, like "Stars Hollow" in Gilmore Girls. With a Town Square and little businesses and a diner, mostly older style houses with big yards! and big front porches!

Do you know of any in Indiana?
Columbus, IN??? North of 'the big city' Bloomington and South of 'the metropolis' Indianapolis. From what I've seen, Brown County, Indiana is one of the most beautiful scenic areas in IN...there are actually rolling hills and forested areas (not just flat cornfields)!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM

103 posts, read 453,037 times
Default shout out from Alabama

Nashville
lived there during the late 80's for high school. It is touristy with craft shoppes and peddlers etc. The fall foliage is some of the most beautiful I've seen and I've lived all over. I'm sure it's grown alot, but I have fond memories of rolling hills, older homes etc. Also not too far of a drive to Bloomington or Columbus for shopping etc.
Good Luck

Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkx3 View Post
Nashville
lived there during the late 80's for high school. It is touristy with craft shoppes and peddlers etc. The fall foliage is some of the most beautiful I've seen and I've lived all over. I'm sure it's grown alot, but I have fond memories of rolling hills, older homes etc. Also not too far of a drive to Bloomington or Columbus for shopping etc.
Good Luck
I second the mention of Brown County and Nashville, I loved driving through that part of the state, en route to visiting Bloomington, IN, a few years back!

I kinda also remember going through Crawfordsville and also Greencastle a few years back, and finding that both of those towns were pretty nice. Not sure of the economic shape of either of those towns, but those towns seemed pretty nice, from what I remember of them(Crawfordsville btw, is also the home of Wabash College, which I remember briefly doing a detour and driving by that college to look at it, which I thought looked like a nice college to me, although it isn't necessarily my cup of tea, as I prefer co-ed schools).

Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
^ Oops, forgot to say that Greencastle is the home of DePauw University(stupid me!).

Old 04-22-2007, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 59,746 times
Smile So many to choose from in NE Indiana....

I've lived all my life (more than 41 years) in various small towns in NE Indiana and could offer pro's and con's for several. Most have been just north of Fort Wayne, which is the second largest city in the state and offers almost anything you could want within reasonable driving distance.

Auburn is a nice small-ish town with a town square, historic homes, the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, War Memorial Museum and Kruse Auction (nationally acclaimed automobile auctions) facilities. It also has its own hospital. It's library boasts a nice genealogy department (though it PALES in comparison to the genealogy department at the downtown Fort Wayne library -- which has been said to be second only to the LDS library in Salt Lake City, UT). Auburn is in Dekalb County.

Kendallville's Main Street is full of small businesses tucked inside historic buildings, and there are some beautiful historic residences in the downtown area, too. There are lakes nearby and even in-town. A new, multi-million dollar (HUGE!) library will be opening soon. The Noble County Fairgrounds are in Kendallville, as well. Kendallville also has its own hospital.

I saw others have mentioned Columbia City. It came to mind when I thought of "town square"... as did Albion (though downtown Albion is much smaller).

There are other great small towns in NE Indiana... some of which are too small to even have a "town square" but have a beautiful "Main Street", and other attractions that are appealing. So please keep an open mind to some of those places as well, as you may discover a treasure!

Good Luck to you!!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 PM

199 posts, read 958,068 times
I'd move to Jasper if I was you. It has pretty much exactly what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana