Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:17 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times

Advertisements

...and esteemed City Councilman Kenneth Stokes, says so, right here: Jackson Jambalaya: Food Fight!!! (Stokes Edition)

Councilman Stokes is frequently right, and this seems to be one of those occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
LOLOLOLOL Lyin' Lumumba!

That press conference is pure comedic gold. And accurate.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
LOLOLOLOL Lyin' Lumumba!

That press conference is pure comedic gold. And accurate.
Glad we agree! And it's truly a pity that someone couldn't have passed-by the flooding Landmark Center building, to scoop up some of the torrents cascading down the glass facade, and down the stairwells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiur...ture=emb_title

Those gushing torrents could have been repurposed, to flush some of that - as Councilman Stokes so uniquely phrases it - "raw boo boo". Who needs tanker trucks, when Jackson's Georgetown District is practically walking distance from Landmark Center?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-25-2021 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-27-2021, 03:31 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
As predicted, Mayor Lumumba has succeeded in making Jackson the "most radical city on the planet." And has he ever! After all, he did say that his administration has made great gains in infrastructure. Alrighty! Here Lumumba addresses the water meter problem. https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...19/2450727001/ "There's still a lot of work to be done but I'm proud to report that Jackson, Mississippi, is moving the corner." the mayor said.

It could be worse. Lumumba could take a page from Agoura Hill's playbook here in California and embrace a climate plan that bans gas appliances in new housing developments! Things will get pretty radical when S. California Edison turns off electricity on windy days. They haven't worked that out yet.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
As predicted, Mayor Lumumba has succeeded in making Jackson the "most radical city on the planet." And has he ever! After all, he did say that his administration has made great gains in infrastructure. Alrighty! Here Lumumba addresses the water meter problem. https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...19/2450727001/ "There's still a lot of work to be done but I'm proud to report that Jackson, Mississippi, is moving the corner." the mayor said. ...
Well, moving the corner is definitely more radical than rounding the corner. A truly radical city has corners which move, rather than corners which are merely rounded.

Here in Jackson Hole (Wyoming), I'm getting questions about "the Jackson in that video". So, for those visiting this thread from far away, I feel it's necessary to state that, no, there are not multiple towns in Mississippi, named 'Jackson'. And Mississippi only has one capital. Therefore: yes, the Jackson in the video, is the Jackson that's the Capital of Mississippi.....REALLY.

On the other hand, the Jackson Hole locals don't need anyone to explain 'Historic Kenny's House', since there's a real 'South Park' a tad south of here, which used to be oddly similar to the fictional Colorado town in the cartoon show. But in case anybody's wondering about this thread's headline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUtoqeEw8U

Old 02-27-2021, 06:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Where can i get a STOKES cap? It is legit!

I have eaten dozens, if not hundreds of lunches in the Landmark Center, at one time I believe there were three restaurants on the first floor along with a bank, a medical (or dental?) office and a gift shop. I hate to see that building sitting empty for going on a decade. There was an announcement a few years ago that it would be redeveloped, but I think the developer has stopped responding to requests for updates.

It is a shame how far downtown has fallen since the mid 90s. Even prior to the plandemic, I could tell the amount of foot traffic was getting less and less each year.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Just watched the video, that was awesome!

I especially enjoyed that the press conference was in the middle of the street and vehicles would pass through.

How is Kenny's life not a reality TV show? I'd watch it! GG, maybe you can get some of your west coast friends to greenlight it!?!?

Old 03-01-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Where can i get a STOKES cap? It is legit!

I have eaten dozens, if not hundreds of lunches in the Landmark Center, at one time I believe there were three restaurants on the first floor along with a bank, a medical (or dental?) office and a gift shop. I hate to see that building sitting empty for going on a decade. There was an announcement a few years ago that it would be redeveloped, but I think the developer has stopped responding to requests for updates.

It is a shame how far downtown has fallen since the mid 90s. Even prior to the plandemic, I could tell the amount of foot traffic was getting less and less each year.
A quick GoogleImageSearch revealed several snazzy hats saying "STOKES". But I didn't see any exactly like Kenny's. However, Cafe Press would appear willing to make something as a one-off. I'm sure they have black 'Trucker Hat' blanks, and that typeface seems pretty standard, too.

Is Landmark Center the one down by where the hardware store used to be? ...the one where all of Fashionable Northeast Jackson used to go, when it was time to choose doorknobs and faucets? Didn't 'The Courthouse' (gym) have a branch facility in Landmark Center's basement? The gym was as bleak and grey as the rest of the building. It was the first all-grey interior I'd ever seen. The combination of all that grey, with florescent lighting (or maybe it was cold-spectrum HID lighting, or a mixture of both: nonetheless, it was GHASTLY) was more than we could take. We made it through maybe half-an-hour, fled, and never returned. Decades later, I STILL can feel the way that space drained every speck of energy from my body. The experience was SO devastating, that when The Courthouse moved its Downtown branch from the big grey glass office complex, to the incrementally-less-enervating black glass office complex (the one Hertz recently bought, I think, for pennies-on-the-Dollar), we never bothered to check it out - despite the allure of "hydraulic massage cardio machines".

And wasn't there some hideous pyramidal "monument" outside? I remember an ugly granite thingy, with a tiny window in one side. You'd peer through the window, and there was some stuff painted silver, and a literary quote: something about "on the bevel". Probably, the budget (or application for urban renewal funds or whatever) specified a certain amount for "Outdoor Art" - and that was the "Outdoor Art".

I guess the Scamdemic did kill-off what little traffic there was, at that forlorn end of Downtown. Was there a food court in the eight-story atrium? Or did one dine IN the restaurants? Anyway, I want to hear about the dynamics of that building, since you have extensive experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Just watched the video, that was awesome!

I especially enjoyed that the press conference was in the middle of the street and vehicles would pass through.

How is Kenny's life not a reality TV show? I'd watch it! GG, maybe you can get some of your west coast friends to greenlight it!?!?
Wasn't that amazing? The white towel for Kenny's sweat, the lady rearranging her trash bag while Kenny's talking, the F-250 passing behind Kenny, and the UPS truck filling the entire screen, as it lurches along what remains of the street - all are so poignant. And then, there are the power lines seemingly radiating asymmetrically from The Head of Kenny, in an Art Deco kind of way.

Some feel the UPS truck stole the show. But I think the star of the video, was the unseen Mockingbird, in the cedar tree behind the reporters. Translated from Birdspeak: "I see you looking at this tree, Kenny Stokes! I am a very important bird, and this is my cedar tree. These are my cedarberries. No! You cannot have 'just one'. Once you get started, you cannot stop. Last time, you ate every single berry in the tree, plus two nests full of baby birds, a family of raccoons, and a possum. I shall ward you off, by emitting as many ear-splitting chirps as are necessary. I can do this all day, ya know!"

The alternate translation is as follows: "Attention all Georgetown District Mockingbirds! I am a very important bird. I am asserting my dominance, by issuing this public safety announcement. There is an exceptionally large BEAR, trying to get to the cedar tree I'm guarding. A group of smaller bears wants to fight him for possession of the tree, and is standing in his way. The big bear is growling loudly at the small bears, and they seem intimidated. But the giant turtles in the vicinity, have noted the presence of the bears. A grey giant turtle almost succeeded in eating the big bear. But the bear is too large for that turtle. An even bigger giant turtle, a brown one, almost caught the big bear, though. It already had one bear in its mouth, yelling warnings to the other bears.

But if we Mockingbirds chirp loudly-enough, we can distract the bears, so that when the giant turtles circle-back, they can sneak up on the bears and eat them. So, chirp, everybody, CHIRP!"

Remember when LaRita Stokes became a judge? It was about the time Kenny and Kenny's House became visible from Google Earth. At the time, we touched upon the reality show possibilities: //www.city-data.com/forum/jackson/2247804-judge-larita.html

Problem with pitching ideas to the Malibu/Aspen gang, is that everybody's pitching to them, all the time. So, unless you have significant monetary participation in their projects, they're not going to listen. And if you casually "bounce ideas off them" at the dinner table, they'll be dining at somebody else's house, next time. On the bright side, Seadory and I have noticed that our City-Data banter has been picked-up and developed by Mainstream Media more than once. So, you never know when some scout will, on his own, conclude that the Stokes Saga can be tweaked to fit the parameters of the MSM Narrative. Personally, I think the Stokeses are perfect for some sort of Pay TV series. It'll be bigger than the remake of Mildred Pierce.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-01-2021 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 06:39 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A quick GoogleImageSearch revealed several snazzy hats saying "STOKES". But I didn't see any exactly like Kenny's. However, Cafe Press would appear willing to make something as a one-off. I'm sure they have black 'Trucker Hat' blanks, and that typeface seems pretty standard, too.

Is Landmark Center the one down by where the hardware store used to be? ...the one where all of Fashionable Northeast Jackson used to go, when it was time to choose doorknobs and faucets? Didn't 'The Courthouse' (gym) have a branch facility in Landmark Center's basement? The gym was as bleak and grey as the rest of the building. It was the first all-grey interior I'd ever seen. The combination of all that grey, with florescent lighting (or maybe it was cold-spectrum HID lighting, or a mixture of both: nonetheless, it was GHASTLY) was more than we could take. We made it through maybe half-an-hour, fled, and never returned. Decades later, I STILL can feel the way that space drained every speck of energy from my body. The experience was SO devastating, that when The Courthouse moved its Downtown branch from the big grey glass office complex, to the incrementally-less-enervating black glass office complex (the one Hertz recently bought, I think, for pennies-on-the-Dollar), we never bothered to check it out - despite the allure of "hydraulic massage cardio machines".

And wasn't there some hideous pyramidal "monument" outside? I remember an ugly granite thingy, with a tiny window in one side. You'd peer through the window, and there was some stuff painted silver, and a literary quote: something about "on the bevel". Probably, the budget (or application for urban renewal funds or whatever) specified a certain amount for "Outdoor Art" - and that was the "Outdoor Art".

I guess the Scamdemic did kill-off what little traffic there was, at that forlorn end of Downtown. Was there a food court in the eight-story atrium? Or did one dine IN the restaurants? Anyway, I want to hear about the dynamics of that building, since you have extensive experience with it.

Wasn't that amazing? The white towel for Kenny's sweat, the lady rearranging her trash bag while Kenny's talking, the F-250 passing behind Kenny, and the UPS truck filling the entire screen, as it lurches along what remains of the street - all are so poignant. And then, there are the power lines seemingly radiating asymmetrically from The Head of Kenny, in an Art Deco kind of way.

Some feel the UPS truck stole the show. But I think the star of the video, was the unseen Mockingbird, in the cedar tree behind the reporters. Translated from Birdspeak: "I see you looking at this tree, Kenny Stokes! I am a very important bird, and this is my cedar tree. These are my cedarberries. No! You cannot have 'just one'. Once you get started, you cannot stop. Last time, you ate every single berry in the tree, plus two nests full of baby birds, a family of raccoons, and a possum. I shall ward you off, by emitting as many ear-splitting chirps as are necessary. I can do this all day, ya know!"

The alternate translation is as follows: "Attention all Georgetown District Mockingbirds! I am a very important bird. I am asserting my dominance, by issuing this public safety announcement. There is an exceptionally large BEAR, trying to get to the cedar tree I'm guarding. A group of smaller bears wants to fight him for possession of the tree, and is standing in his way. The big bear is growling loudly at the small bears, and they seem intimidated. But the giant turtles in the vicinity, have noted the presence of the bears. A grey giant turtle almost succeeded in eating the big bear. But the bear is too large for that turtle. An even bigger giant turtle, a brown one, almost caught the big bear, though. It already had one bear in its mouth, yelling warnings to the other bears.

But if we Mockingbirds chirp loudly-enough, we can distract the bears, so that when the giant turtles circle-back, they can sneak up on the bears and eat them. So, chirp, everybody, CHIRP!"

Remember when LaRita Stokes became a judge? It was about the time Kenny and Kenny's House became visible from Google Earth. At the time, we touched upon the reality show possibilities: //www.city-data.com/forum/jackson/2247804-judge-larita.html

Problem with pitching ideas to the Malibu/Aspen gang, is that everybody's pitching to them, all the time. So, unless you have significant monetary participation in their projects, they're not going to listen. And if you casually "bounce ideas off them" at the dinner table, they'll be dining at somebody else's house, next time. On the bright side, Seadory and I have noticed that our City-Data banter has been picked-up and developed by Mainstream Media more than once. So, you never know when some scout will, on his own, conclude that the Stokes Saga can be tweaked to fit the parameters of the MSM Narrative. Personally, I think the Stokeses are perfect for some sort of Pay TV series.It'll be bigger than the remake of Mildred Pierce.

[COLOR=darkslategray
[/color]

Something along the lines of, ' SCHITTS CREEK' , however, with a tad more attitude and a lot less talent?

Old 03-01-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Problem with pitching ideas to the Malibu/Aspen gang, is that everybody's pitching to them, all the time. So, unless you have significant monetary participation in their projects, they're not going to listen. And if you casually "bounce ideas off them" at the dinner table, they'll be dining at somebody else's house, next time. On the bright side, Seadory and I have noticed that our City-Data banter has been picked-up and developed by Mainstream Media more than once. So, you never know when some scout will, on his own, conclude that the Stokes Saga can be tweaked to fit the parameters of the MSM Narrative. Personally, I think the Stokeses are perfect for some sort of Pay TV series. It'll be bigger than the remake of Mildred Pierce.

My time in downtown started in 95. There was a large dine in restaurant in the Atrium and one or two fast casual places on the perimeter. I don't recall the gym in the Landmark Center, but was a member of it after it moved to the parking garage on the corner of Capitol and Farish. I don't remember a hardware store, but I think there was a high end hardware store on Amite.

All this has me fondly remembering the University Club, hard to believe it was been dead for almost a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson