Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Something along the lines of, ' SCHITTS CREEK' , however, with a tad more attitude and a lot less talent?
Yes! ...with Pam Ann as the Reality Show Host. I can actually SEE IT! What she did with 'The Great British Bake-off' is criminally wonderful. And she sure knows how to do a live interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5otnpgG67ps

Her remake of 'Titanic' was so good, she could do a remake of that remake, using the flooding of Landmark Center. And who would be better, visiting the many spectacular crime scenes in Jackson?

Schitt's Creek is about a town that's worth virtually nothing, despite being filled with astonishingly worldly and accomplished people. This show would be about a town which has depressed property values.... for more discernible reasons. Pam Ann could make those reasons seem outrageously FUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 12:19 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Jackson has been a victim of “bright flight” for decades. Anyone, regardless of race, who had the talent to improve Jackson’s fortunes by providing competent political leadership has chosen to leave.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:11 PM

560 posts, read 785,956 times
So I'm not the only one who who thought the "Stokes Blasts "Lying Lumumba" press conference brilliant! All of it. The truck, the lady fiddling with the trash bag, THE UPS TRUCK and Mr Stokes leaving the conference while he looked for something to sit on. Then there is the train whistle.

This has Bravo TV written all over it. Andy Cohen would love this. I'm not making that up.

I want a STOKES cap too.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:00 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
So I'm not the only one who who thought the "Stokes Blasts "Lying Lumumba" press conference brilliant! All of it. The truck, the lady fiddling with the trash bag, THE UPS TRUCK and Mr Stokes leaving the conference while he looked for something to sit on. Then there is the train whistle.

This has Bravo TV written all over it. Andy Cohen would love this. I'm not making that up.

I want a STOKES cap too.
Either Bravo or Oprah Winfrey Netowrk - aka, "OWN". ..OWN has the new reality series, "Belle Collective" about a group of upper middle class black women from Jackson, Mississippi. It's very entertaining and they seem more "real", or genuine than the Real Housewives of Atlanta. These women represent Jackson and Mississippi pretty good, in my opinion. I just happened to find them on YouTube

Old 03-05-2021, 07:24 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Jackson has been a victim of “bright flight” for decades. Anyone, regardless of race, who had the talent to improve Jackson’s fortunes by providing competent political leadership has chosen to leave.
Many people thought Lumumba, while radical, would have the sense to do some good things. But NOPE! He's been the worst of all. He's got a brain, but totally corrupt. His dad was better.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:01 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
My time in downtown started in 95. There was a large dine in restaurant in the Atrium and one or two fast casual places on the perimeter. I don't recall the gym in the Landmark Center, but was a member of it after it moved to the parking garage on the corner of Capitol and Farish. I don't remember a hardware store, but I think there was a high end hardware store on Amite.

All this has me fondly remembering the University Club, hard to believe it was been dead for almost a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Many people thought Lumumba, while radical, would have the sense to do some good things. But NOPE! He's been the worst of all. He's got a brain, but totally corrupt. His dad was better.
I think Chockwe ran for mayor knowing he was terminally ill.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Either Bravo or Oprah Winfrey Netowrk - aka, "OWN". ..OWN has the new reality series, "Belle Collective" about a group of upper middle class black women from Jackson, Mississippi. It's very entertaining and they seem more "real", or genuine than the Real Housewives of Atlanta. These women represent Jackson and Mississippi pretty good, in my opinion. I just happened to find them on YouTube
Yes. The Housewives franchise is pretty outrageous. However, someone like Any Cohen would see potential in Councilman Stokes' press conference. Stokes is plenty smart, has much to say and isn't afraid. I didn't know about Belle Collective. Sounds interesting. I think "OWN" is Oprah Winfrey Network. The Learning Channel would be an appropriate venue also.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:56 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Yes. The Housewives franchise is pretty outrageous. However, someone like Any Cohen would see potential in Councilman Stokes' press conference. Stokes is plenty smart, has much to say and isn't afraid. I didn't know about Belle Collective. Sounds interesting. I think "OWN" is Oprah Winfrey Network. The Learning Channel would be an appropriate venue also.
Seems like the Mayor of Jackson was on this show for about 15 seconds. But, I don't remember if he spoke or not. It mighta been a different show. But I do know on another episode, one of the City Councilmen was at one of the ladies fancy luncheons. The woman who hosted it wants to bring back Farish Street and that's why she invited the Councilman. Everybody was dressed real nice and the women were wearing hats. Some of the women took to arguing at the table and things started to get loud and out of hand and the Councilman got up and left without saying good bye to anybody except the people he was sitting next to. He didn't want nothing to do with it. It could ruin him politically. It was very funny and enteetaining. That's how I started following that show. Jackson is a very entertaining city. The Jackson Forum is one of my favorite forums to follow on City-Data. There's usually something pretty interesting going on in this forum worth reading.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Seems like the Mayor of Jackson was on this show for about 15 seconds. But, I don't remember if he spoke or not. It mighta been a different show. But I do know on another episode, one of the City Councilmen was at one of the ladies fancy luncheons. The woman who hosted it wants to bring back Farish Street and that's why she invited the Councilman. Everybody was dressed real nice and the women were wearing hats. Some of the women took to arguing at the table and things started to get loud and out of hand and the Councilman got up and left without saying good bye to anybody except the people he was sitting next to. He didn't want nothing to do with it. It could ruin him politically. It was very funny and enteetaining. That's how I started following that show. Jackson is a very entertaining city. The Jackson Forum is one of my favorite forums to follow on City-Data. There's usually something pretty interesting going on in this forum worth reading.
Several reality stars, (I use the term loosely) have bolstered their business by way of Andy Cohen's Housewives. Cohen is a shrewd and calculating businessman who has achieved success by exploiting the alcoholic capers of his cast comprised mainly of pseudo-rich exhibitionistic freaks. That said, Cohen is witty, charming and very good at what he does because of his tabloid mentality.

I would like to see Councilman Stokes on his own reality show. One that would bring the right kind of attention to Jackson, MS. Who knows what Stokes would do in front of a national audience.

The show you described sounds interesting! I'm going to find it.

Last edited by Seadory; 03-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Thanks to your post I had to check it out..Even though it is the typical reality TV tension and cat fighting... You are right it is more subdued than Real Housewives and seems to show more real people who have real businesses not tied to celebrity. The fact that it is set in Jackson makes it even more appealing as opposed to NYC or Atlanta.. So... I look forward to the next episode.. Thanks for the referral

I do have one question.. Is Jackson in fact on the rise as they say it is on the show? Some of the city shots make it seem like its not as bad as some of the material that I have read/seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson