Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,049,481 times

Advertisements

A JW - telling the majority of Biblical Scholars they are wrong in regards to the Septuagintal change of the Isaiah passage, and using "Matthew's Inspiration from God" as evidence....

This is why it's pointless - they have not kept up to date with scholarship, and most of their writings are apologetic in nature, in order to deal with these issues.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
Actually they do use the name jehovah ..... well thats what wikipedia said..... ever tryd that guys?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 PM

22,282 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Jews have no interest in the practice of other religions.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,270,142 times
I came to this late but my bottom line feeling about to the query, "what do you think of JW's" is "I generally don't."

Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,854,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I came to this late but my bottom line feeling about to the query, "what do you think of JW's" is "I generally don't."
I understand that you do not think of them,but just wanted to know.

I read that Jews view it as disrespectful to say G-D's name.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,064,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelivererOfTruth View Post
Actually they do use the name jehovah ..... well thats what wikipedia said..... ever tryd that guys?
No, the Jews do not use the name Jehovah...

Old 12-19-2015, 04:34 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,270,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I understand that you do not think of them,but just wanted to know.

I read that Jews view it as disrespectful to say G-D's name.
We try not to say any of God's "names" (itself, requiring a complex discussion) in a context which is not appropriate or in a medium which will lower the status of the name and the discussion due to its nature.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,064,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
We try not to say any of God's "names" (itself, requiring a complex discussion) in a context which is not appropriate or in a medium which will lower the status of the name and the discussion due to its nature.
How was your Shabbat?...

Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,993,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
“. .For “everyone who calls on the name of JEHOVAH (not Lord; not God; not Jesus; not Savior; not Allah) will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?”” (Romans 10:13-15)

“For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the LOVE YOU SHOWED FOR HIS NAME, . . .” (Hebrews 6:10)
Who is he talking to? ONLY JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES LOVE HIS NAME! No one else has adopted it, so he will not forget their work and reward them with eternal life.
Do you love Jehovah’s name? Then why not bear it with pride, the way Jehovah’s Witnesses do?
Church members do not know Jehovah by his name. How will they call on him in faith? They are taught that he is 3 different persons in one, that he cruelly tortures and burns people in eternal torment, which means that they do not know him at all. You cannot have faith in someone you do not know - right?
The Jews now have a nameless God to which they can direct no one, so that argument can very quickly be dismissed.
About the “grammatical impossibility,” we find this interesting note:
In Hebrew:
Jeremiah’s name is YIRMIAH. Abraham’s name is AVHAMON. Judah’s name is YAHUDAH. Isaiah’s name is YESAYAHU. Zedekiah’s name is SIDQIVVAHU, John is JEHOHANAN and Sarah’s name is SARAVAH.
Since there were/are no vowels in Hebrew, the pronunciation of those names were determined by common usage, as recognized by the community using the language.
Here’s your problem:
You seem to have no difficulty pronouncing those names, even though their particular vowel sounds were/are unknown. But when it comes to YHWH - huge difficulty. Why? Why would anyone not want to use the name of the true God? It is a trumped-up excuse not to use Jehovah’s name!
Why do other religions not teach about Jehovah’s great name? Jehovah himself reveals the reason:
“. . .They are thinking of MAKING MY PEOPLE FORGET MY NAME by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Ba′al.” (Jeremiah 23:27)
“Nevertheless, Moses said to the [true] God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of YOUR forefathers has sent me to YOU,’ and they do say to me, ‘WHAT IS HIS NAME?’ What shall I say to them?” ……Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘JEHOVAH the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13,15)
So - we know what his name is and we love it. You give no indication that you do.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
In Romans, apostle Paul says that if we confess Jesus as Lord we will be saved (Romans 10:9-15)... How Watchtower loves to violate the meaning of the verses of both Tanakh and New Testament is another question. And when Jews and us Christians refer to the "Name" of God we mean to refer to God. Not that God has a name like me and you. God in Exodus said he is "I AM", which means that He is the ONLY ONE that HE IS. All of us exist due to Him. He just EXISTS of His own. And God doens't speak hebrew in heaven to have only a form of a name in hebrew "YHVH". He said that word because Moses was Israelite. If God had revealed Himself to an ancient Greek, He would say as Septuagint translates this word in greek "Ο ΩΝ" (o On), to an English "I AM", etc...

Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,109,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
On s a side note, my Chassidic brother, Feivel, has commented to me that he had many a discussion with a JW where he worked once and thinks, that for a Christian religion, they are the closest to Judaism...
Hey good point, as they are also hated by Christians due to their lack of interpretation of Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As a Mizrachi I can read and understand Hebrew.As a Mizrachi I can read and understand Arabic. Thus I can translate both into English. But you tell me I'm wrong. But you who reads only the English version and accepts that version as the only correct version have the gall to tell me I'm wrong. Well then you live life in a vacuum. And if you think English doesnt use any markings to designate certain sounds then look down at your keyboard and look at the button to the left of the "1" button.

As to my studies: I studied Aramaic to understand the foundation and connections between Hebrew & Arabic. I studied Latin to do better on the SATs. I learned Yiddish to understand the Ashkenazi's and while in college a took at least one semester of all the romance languages (after a little vacation in Lebanon as a US Marine).
Oh wow sounds like you can make a great website on all the translation errors. (Or maybe you already have.).

-

Also strange, how Hebrew and Arabic are dialects of each other or based off the same language, and yet the 2 groups hate each other the most throughout history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism