Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,855,937 times

Advertisements

Just curiuos,what do you guys think of Jehovahs witnesses using the name to pray?
What do you think would happen to such individuals?
Why did Jews cease to use his name?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,049,967 times
Another good question to ask them is why they're so anti-semitic. Have you seen how they portray jews in their literature? Not very well...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,940 times
Isaiah 43 verse 1 establishes who The MOST HIGH is talking to/about:

But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called [thee] by thy name; thou [art] mine.

Then, verse 10 says -

Ye [are] my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I [am] he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

verse 11 -

I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM

646 posts, read 634,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Another good question to ask them is why they're so anti-semitic. Have you seen how they portray jews in their literature? Not very well...
Why do you read their literature?
What are you looking for?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Why do you read their literature?
What are you looking for?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
I believe the Thread was being asked of specific people, if I remember correctly? People who happen to not be you, maybe? Please don't derail this thread with more proselytizing - I'm asking nicely, here.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,112,135 times
Since no Jew has answered the original question here. I will attempt to answer based on what little I know.

As best as I know no Jew has ever called G_D Jehovah. Jehovah has no connection to Judaism.

I can not envision any Jew concerned about JWs using the name Jehovah. The name Jehovah makes no sense in Hebrew and probably has no more significance to a Jew then if the JWs called themselves IWs and prayed to Ignatz Smith.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 10-15-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Since no Jew has answered the original question here. I will attempt to answer based on what little I know.

As best as I know no Jew has ever called G_D Jehovah. Jehovah has no connection to Judaism.
Very good! I agree....

All stemming from transliterating the Hebrew letter yod as a J, instead of a Y...
Add the vowel pointing for adonai which we find in later Hebrew manuscripts where the the consonants YHWH are present, and voila: JHWH is born!
Add the mordern Hebrew pronounciation of the letter waw as a V sound, and JHWH becomes JHVH and Jehovah is born! That monstosity of linguistics....

What's strange is that the JW's reference book Insight Into the Scriptures points out that most scholars prefer a different pronounciation - but they feel that because there's no unanimity among scholars, it's best to go with the least scholarly version, and the one that they feel most laypeople know already. Mistakes were made, and we might as well live with it, right?

Apart from those points - an observant, orthodox jew would never pronounce the name of God.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,112,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Very good! I agree....

All stemming from transliterating the Hebrew letter yod as a J, instead of a Y...
Add the vowel pointing for adonai which we find in later Hebrew manuscripts where the the consonants YHWH are present, and voila: JHWH is born!
Add the mordern Hebrew pronounciation of the letter waw as a V sound, and JHWH becomes JHVH and Jehovah is born! That monstosity of linguistics....

What's strange is that the JW's reference book Insight Into the Scriptures points out that most scholars prefer a different pronounciation - but they feel that because there's no unanimity among scholars, it's best to go with the least scholarly version, and the one that they feel most laypeople know already. Mistakes were made, and we might as well live with it, right?

Apart from those points - an observant, orthodox jew would never pronounce the name of God.
LOL while you were typing I did an addendum of my post. But, I do believe we are still in agreement.

Now, where is Walter?

Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
LOL while you were typing I did an addendum of my post. But, I do believe we are still in agreement.

Now, where is Walter?
Ha - your post still works for me!

I only worry that Wilson Cole is pouring forth his wrath in a post that is more like the length of some of my other posts heh heh - and it's about to hit us any minute....

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
Quote:
Add the vowel pointing for adonai which we find in later Hebrew manuscripts where the the consonants YHWH are present,
Close...Close... If you looked at the word in hebrew and tried to read it literally it would actually sound out as y'huh or y'hoh as the third letter is silent by itself and takes on the pronounciation of the letter that preceeds it. This is why when you see two of them together then they create the vvv sound. Actual hebrew uses the second letter of the hebrew language Bet (be sound) and uses the secondary pronounciation as Vet (ve sound). An Eiyen would be pronouned as a W.

Quote:
Any Jew would not pronounce it. Adonai (means Sir) is used for formal prayer and Hashem (The Name) for general informal reading. In Judiasm saying the actual name is disrespectful as its putting yourself on the same level.

Would you even a allow a young child to call an adult by their first name? Most likely not. Expectation is Mom, Dad, Uncle, Aunt, Sir, Ma'am, Mister, Misses, etc.......... Thus the same logic follows.

Thus:
Just curiuos,what do you guys think of Jehovahs witnesses using the name to pray?
Disrestpectful
What do you think would happen to such individuals?
Not an earthly consideration. a person is judged (upon leaving this plane of existence) upon everything in their lives not single incidents.
Why did Jews cease to use his name?
The general population never did. Only the high priest (or most senior rabbi) would actually know the proper name and be able to pronounce it correctly.

But another thread for you to question is how Elohim (the g_d) became Allah (g-ds name (even though Al- means The-))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.