Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's an issue if people want to post, Woodrow.

They just shouldn't expect a response until after Shabbat.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
I don't think it's an issue if people want to post, Woodrow.

They just shouldn't expect a response until after Shabbat.
While that is true.

My personal feeling is it would be impolite to do so. Sort of like starting to eat supper before all the family has come to the table.

I am not saying anyone has to agree with me. Just tossing an opinion out.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Out of fairness I suggest that all of us non-Jews refrain from posting in this section during shabbos.
What time zone should we use to determine when we should not post?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Since this a personal option for all, the time zone one lives in would suffice. Nobody is going to be doing any checking. We don't have any Shaggot police on staff.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Since this a personal option for all, the time zone one lives in would suffice. Nobody is going to be doing any checking. We don't have any Shaggot police on staff.
For sure the time zone of the poster is the one to use. The whole point is that posters in a Jewish forum should not be posting on Shabbos, no matter their level of observance, and no matter how many creative explanations they can give for soing so. It's kind of like where my local Jewish Community Center, which serves all the Jews in town, does not schedule its sports leagues to have games on Shabbos, out of respect for the Torah Observant Jews. But they are still open for business on Shabbos, so that those who choose to can still come there, even on Shabbos. In this forum, Jews can post anywhere else in the C-D they like and can browse to their heart's content in the Judaism forum - but out of respect, just don't post. Woodrow, I appreciate your support on this matter.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
I'm impressed. For the past two Shabbos I have not seen, a single Jew post.
Don't be too impressed. Some of us travel in relation to work and the time zone shown is EST, and some us are as much as 11 hours off from it. Also many of us have left this sub-forum for numerous reasons that only about a half a dozen people post here now. Its currently 5:26pm where I am now.

Looking at the time stamp on the forum, it has not adjusted for DST.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
You use your time zone, and, if you want to be right on the money, you can find the start (candle-lighting) and end (havdalah) times for Shabbat on various sites, such as Chabad: Candle-Lighting Times for Shabbat & Holidays

Just enter your zip code or location, and you'll be given times specific for your area.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
For sure the time zone of the poster is the one to use. The whole point is that posters in a Jewish forum should not be posting on Shabbos, no matter their level of observance, and no matter how many creative explanations they can give for soing so. It's kind of like where my local Jewish Community Center, which serves all the Jews in town, does not schedule its sports leagues to have games on Shabbos, out of respect for the Torah Observant Jews. But they are still open for business on Shabbos, so that those who choose to can still come there, even on Shabbos. In this forum, Jews can post anywhere else in the C-D they like and can browse to their heart's content in the Judaism forum - but out of respect, just don't post. Woodrow, I appreciate your support on this matter.

I dont post in this forum on Shabbos, and try to avoid computer use of any kind on shabbos (though I am sympathetic to some of the halachic defenses of computer use - I DO use electricity on shabbos - and I think the question of whether computer writing is halachically writing is complex - but it does usually take away the taam of shabbat) but for non Jews and the overtly non observant the issue appears to be politeness - but I dont expect people to be here or respond within 24 hours anyway. Thats not my expectation of an internet forum. Its not a likke a soccer game where both participants must be present.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
I believe it remains a good idea for all Jewish posters in this forum, no matter their level of observance, to refrain from posting on Shabbos. That would be from Friday at sundown until Saturday at "three stars," or better yet nightfall according to Rabbeinu Tam. No less than 25 hours a week this forum should be without Jews posting.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
If Reform and most Conservative Jews think it is perfectly okay as Jews to post on Shabbat, why should they stop posting on Shabbat? This is not an Orthodox Jewish forum. While some of us might hold that the halacha of no electricity and typing on Shabbat is an issur d'oraita binding on ALL Jews, we shouldn't try to force this on everyone who are yet at that madrega. The best we can hope for is that through our attitude and actions, non-observant Jews will eventually stop posting on Shabbat. No need for coercion. I have the same opinion re: having an egalitarian part of the Kotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism