Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,392,916 times

Advertisements

Really? I'm quite shocked that some of you would go to the trouble of participating in a Jewish online forum, and then post on Shabbos. Whether you are Torah Observant or not, it's a chillul hashem to post on shabbos in a "religion and spirituality" forum where there are hundreds of goyim seeing you desecrate the Shabbos and profane Hashem's name.

Any chance I can get you all to let this forum go quiet for just this single 25-hour period each week? Not for me - for you.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM

584 posts, read 601,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Really? I'm quite shocked that some of you would go to the trouble of participating in a Jewish online forum, and then post on Shabbos.
What shocks you is of zero concern to me.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,743,712 times
I am laughing at this exchange - JS is fiesty!

Anyway, you do have a good point. I'll make that my next step towards being more observant.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,893,597 times
Using a computer is not a violation of Shabbat if used in specific ways. Mine stays on and listens to verbal commands. Using dictation software requires no use of the keyboard or the mouse. This computer I'm using is dedicated to non-work associated links as I have others which are work related and I do not interact with them on Shabbat. Thus this computer IMO is not in violation of the day of rest.

http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?CategoryID=253&ArticleID=318&Page=1

But its ok for you as a Orthodox Jew, to find loopholes that allow yourselves to adjust the laws to allow yourselves to use current technology. When I walk into electronic stores in Boro Park they have they can easily explain all the technology they are selling. You don't get such in depth experience from just reading manuals. When I walk the streets of Boro Park I see numerous Orthodox Jews using Blackberrys which are not kosher by any strech of the imagination.

So if you have an opinion then state it as such, But do not dictate to us on how to enjoy our day of rest. If all the Jews were Charedi during WW2, then there would be no Jews left alive today.

Have a Joyous Sukkot outside since Hashem will protect you from the mosquitos (even though they are no longer active on cold nights). But again you have a loophole or excuse not to be outdoors tonight.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,879,919 times
If interacting with Jews who don't see everything the same way you do is that traumatic, you might want to consider a forum that is set up specifically for a specific level of observance. I've seen a few forums that will ban people for being on-line during Shabbat. You might find a place like that more to your your liking.

Seriously, you add a lot to the forum and have just as much right to speak your mind as everyone else, but your patronizing and tendency to speak down to other Jews is extremely tiring.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Anyway, you do have a good point. I'll make that my next step towards being more observant.
In fact he does. One should be aware of how non-Jews might interpret one's action and speech.

Sadly, I am not so observant ...

My wife and I got home late after Friday's oneg and I was up bright and early on Saturday. I needed to create a rough draft for a "Global Hunger Shabbat" initiative being planned for early November. After emailing it to those on the planning committee it was about 7:30 am and I jumped in the car and drove over to a near-by assisted living building. I have a lovely friend there who is no longer able to drive. I picked him up and we drove to a great little diner where we had breakfast. We then drove to the synagogue for Saturday morning minyan followed by Torah study. Afterwards, I drove him home, had lunch, and then drove down south for a lovely (belated) birthday with kids and grandkids.

No doubt one could find some 'goyim' who would not understand. Clearly our good 'yid' theflipflop does not understand. My best guess however is that 'HaShem' is fine with the whole thing -- and God knows I am.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,918,289 times
Quote:
Really? I'm quite shocked that some of you would go to the trouble of participating in a Jewish online forum, and then post on Shabbos. Whether you are Torah Observant or not, it's a chillul hashem to post on shabbos in a "religion and spirituality" forum where there are hundreds of goyim seeing you desecrate the Shabbos and profane Hashem's name.

Any chance I can get you all to let this forum go quiet for just this single 25-hour period each week? Not for me - for you.
Do you think that only Jews should be allowed to post on this forum?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Do you think that only Jews should be allowed to post on this forum?
The question has absolutely no relevance to this thread.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,743,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
In fact he does. One should be aware of how non-Jews might interpret one's action and speech.

Sadly, I am not so observant ...

My wife and I got home late after Friday's oneg and I was up bright and early on Saturday. I needed to create a rough draft for a "Global Hunger Shabbat" initiative being planned for early November. After emailing it to those on the planning committee it was about 7:30 am and I jumped in the car and drove over to a near-by assisted living building. I have a lovely friend there who is no longer able to drive. I picked him up and we drove to a great little diner where we had breakfast. We then drove to the synagogue for Saturday morning minyan followed by Torah study. Afterwards, I drove him home, had lunch, and then drove down south for a lovely (belated) birthday with kids and grandkids.

No doubt one could find some 'goyim' who would not understand. Clearly our good 'yid' theflipflop does not understand. My best guess however is that 'HaShem' is fine with the whole thing -- and God knows I am.
Sounds like you had a great Shabbos, JS.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,893,597 times
Quote:
Nice of you to share your opinion. Torah Observant Jews, of course, do not lead their lives by opinion. Rather, we seek to understand what the Torah would have us do. I'm quite sure there are no proofs in the Torah you can bring to support your "opinion" that it's permissible to use a computer on Shabbos in any way shape or form. Bring me one reputible rabbi who supports your opinion, and I'm willing to discuss. I can assure you R. Moshe Feinstein, R. Aurback, R Oveida, R Eliyashiv, and the other great psokim who live(d) in the time of the proliferation of computers have all assured (hlachically forbidden) the use of computers on Shabbos. It remains chilul hashem, even if "Pruzhany" says otherwise.

(btw, I received numerous direct messages, some from non-Jews, thanking me for starting this thread. Ironic how it's the Jews who find this thread so threatening.)

And what is the Talmud?? A set of books filled with opinions. Spiritually I have grown past the need for a Rav to make decision for me based on his opinion. I don't fear the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism