Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,263,317 times

Advertisements

Here is some interesting reading from 2017.

New Kitniyot Survey Reveals Big Changes in Approach to "Little Things"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 10:06 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Here is some background on quinoa
https://oukosher.org/passover/guidel...-items/quinoa/

and this addresses why (according to the supervisors) it requires particular supervision

https://www.star-k.org/articles/arti...ssover-quinoa/

In terms of matzah, one is obligated to eat matzah on the first night of Passover. But in VERY extreme cases

https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/i...to-buy-matzah/
Thank you, Rosends. I have already purchased matzah. I have approximately 2 more weeks of healing before Passover and I could try to eat a small nibble on the first night. I should ask my Orthodox oral surgeon his opinion now that I know about the halacha obligation.

Thank you for the information about quinoa. I have seen Passover quinoa in the local kosher stores.

And now a question for next Passover. G-d willing, I plan on a kitchen remodel in the fall and wish to add some new-fangled appliances, such as a dishwasher and microwave. I never owned either of them. Can you suggest any reliable resources for Passover preparation?

Old 03-08-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Thank you, Rosends. I have already purchased matzah. I have approximately 2 more weeks of healing before Passover and I could try to eat a small nibble on the first night. I should ask my Orthodox oral surgeon his opinion now that I know about the halacha obligation.

Thank you for the information about quinoa. I have seen Passover quinoa in the local kosher stores.

And now a question for next Passover. G-d willing, I plan on a kitchen remodel in the fall and wish to add some new-fangled appliances, such as a dishwasher and microwave. I never owned either of them. Can you suggest any reliable resources for Passover preparation?
Are you looking for info about models that are holiday friendly or how to make them kosher for Passover after you have used them during the year?

For a microwave, the general rule is to clean it thoroughly, replace the turntable (or cover it, depending on the authority you follow) and then boil water in it for about 10 minutes. There are many different views of the details. Pick an authority (like th OU or Star K guide) and follow it.

Dishwashers are a much bigger problem. Though there are authorities that allow certain ones with metal interiors to be made kosher, most people avoid the controversy and do without a dishwasher for a week.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Are you looking for info about models that are holiday friendly or how to make them kosher for Passover after you have used them during the year?

For a microwave, the general rule is to clean it thoroughly, replace the turntable (or cover it, depending on the authority you follow) and then boil water in it for about 10 minutes. There are many different views of the details. Pick an authority (like th OU or Star K guide) and follow it.

Dishwashers are a much bigger problem. Though there are authorities that allow certain ones with metal interiors to be made kosher, most people avoid the controversy and do without a dishwasher for a week.
Thank you. I have done without a dishwasher for all of my life. I'm sure that I could manage for just one week.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM

I saw an article this morning and figured I would pass it along -- as Jewish practice is often delineated by the clock, the question of changing the clocks is of paramount importance.

https://forward.com/news/465493/why-...mpaign_2080165

Old 03-11-2021, 07:24 AM

More random thoughts --
This Shabbat is one of the 4 "special" shabbatot:

Shabbat Shekalim which precedes the beginning of the month of Adar
Shabbat Zachor precedes Purim
Shabbat HaChodesh precedes the beginning of the month of Nisan
Shabbat Hagadol precedes Passover

This Shabbat is Shabbat HaChodesh . In addition, we read the double selection of Vayakhel and Pekudei.

There is also a practice of publicly declaring the new month on the sabbath preceding the new month so we do that this week as well as the new month begins on Sunday.

Here's the wrinkle -- in most cases, when the new month begins on a Sunday, there is a special selection read from the book of Samuel, often called "machar chodesh" (tomorrow is the new month) instead of the haftarah portion of that week. This shabbat, because we will be saying the haftarah that is special for Shabbat HaChodesh, we will not be reading the macha chodesh selection. Except in certain communities which append a couple of verses from the machar chodesh reading to the end of the HaChodesh haftarah.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Here's a Seder question for you, Rabbi. Is it "controversial" to place an orange on the Seder plate? (I figure you know me well enough by now to know why I'm asking about the orange. ) Does Halacha insist that the food items placed on the Seder plate must remain unchanged and nothing may ever be added?

Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Here's a Seder question for you, Rabbi. Is it "controversial" to place an orange on the Seder plate? (I figure you know me well enough by now to know why I'm asking about the orange. ) Does Halacha insist that the food items placed on the Seder plate must remain unchanged and nothing may ever be added?
The items on the plate have specific ritual significance, established long ago with references that are local to the historical role of Passover as marking an event and a set of temple practices. I might understand that one would put an orange on the table (the way that some pass out nuts at the table) and pursue conversation about it, but I don't think that it has a place on the seder plate, itself. The seder is already about inclusion. While there are still tensions within the community, and they can certainly be subject of conversation, I don't see ow that makes a leap to changing the seder plate.

I, personally, don't see the seder as a jumping off point for discussions of current controversies or social concerns so the definitely wouldn't be for me.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:39 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
The items on the plate have specific ritual significance, established long ago with references that are local to the historical role of Passover as marking an event and a set of temple practices. I might understand that one would put an orange on the table (the way that some pass out nuts at the table) and pursue conversation about it, but I don't think that it has a place on the seder plate, itself. The seder is already about inclusion. While there are still tensions within the community, and they can certainly be subject of conversation, I don't see ow that makes a leap to changing the seder plate.

I, personally, don't see the seder as a jumping off point for discussions of current controversies or social concerns so the definitely wouldn't be for me.
Got it. No orange on the Seder plate, but I may have an orange on the table. I already know that the Jews with whom I'll be celebrating Passover don't object to what the orange represents, and I wouldn't include the orange in the company of those who might be made to feel uncomfortable. (At least, not at a Passover gathering -- as I do know better times to make people feel uncomfortable. ) I only wanted to know the Halachic ruling on it, which you've provided. Many thanks!

Old 03-11-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Got it. No orange on the Seder plate, but I may have an orange on the table. I already know that the Jews with whom I'll be celebrating Passover don't object to what the orange represents, and I wouldn't include the orange in the company of those who might be made to feel uncomfortable. (At least, not at a Passover gathering -- as I do know better times to make people feel uncomfortable. ) I only wanted to know the Halachic ruling on it, which you've provided. Many thanks!
It is important to note that I am in no way a Halachic decisor. I can simply take what I have read and learned and give a personal opinion -- nothing binding on anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism