Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 AM

740 posts, read 2,014,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
ibcwife, I am wondering which church you belong to that has educated you so well on this subject. I ask because the only time I have heard this reasoning was in 1963 in Charlotte, NC --- in a small Baptist church. I credit those days as a summer student to my disinclination to follow the bible. I also credit that church with teaching and promulgating anti-semitism.
Actually, I get my information from the Bible itself. I AM NOT anti-semitic. My only reason that I do what I do is to spread the word of God. The way is narrow... and if you, or anyone think they can get to heaven any other way than through Jesus Christ himself, the bible says that you are wrong.. Please read some of my other post. I am trying to point the way to anyone and everyone.

So are you telling me that the original deciples of Christ were anti-semitic because they wanted to share the gospel with the Jewsish people... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
If the bible references you quote accuse the Pharisees of killing Jesus Christ, I would say the bible is without historical credence.

As I was not present in 30AD, I can't tell you whether the disciplines, all of them, or those referenced in the NT, were anti-semitic. But I would wager based on my limited historical knowledge, they certainly wanted change.

And inasmuch as the OP was asking a totally different question, one I believe referenced Jewish beliefs, it seemed as if several posts went astray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Actually, I get my information from the Bible itself. I AM NOT anti-semitic. My only reason that I do what I do is to spread the word of God. The way is narrow... and if you, or anyone think they can get to heaven any other way than through Jesus Christ himself, the bible says that you are wrong.. Please read some of my other post. I am trying to point the way to anyone and everyone.

So are you telling me that the original deciples of Christ were anti-semitic because they wanted to share the gospel with the Jewsish people... ?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 AM

This site provides some basic and readable information on Judaism for those interested in simple, but rather abridged facts.

If you read the particular reference on heaven and hell, you'll see that among the Jewish people, there are disparate beliefs, just as they exist in other religions. Among the most Orthodox, heaven and hell more closely resembles some Christian beliefs, but also follow what might be thought of as rather Pagan. Cups placed on the eyes of the dead are not uncommon--shielding the deceased from sight and following an OT ritual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Beliefs vary somewhat by individual and sect. Some believe in heaven and hell and some don't, though the twist on them is slightly different than in Christianity.

Here is a relatively easy to read website that contains a boatload of information. It has internal links to explain everything you might want to know about Jewish beliefs. There is also a search function.

Judaism 101: Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife

Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 AM

And as an aside, and in the hope the OP doe not object, I believe a thread existed about "why people are anti-semitic."

My contention is that the promulgation of the passages in the bible quoted here are among the most frequently referenced in defense of anti-semitism.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
If the bible references you quote accuse the Pharisees of killing Jesus Christ, I would say the bible is without historical credence.
I would say that you haven't read the bible if you say they didn't plot to kill Jesus.

The bible has more historical documentation than any other book it's age. Thousands of manuscripts, & historical documents. From various places.... saying the same thing.

There was a secular historical writer called Joesephis (sp?) who corroborates parts of the bible, with time and content.

Quote:
As I was not present in 30AD, I can't tell you whether the disciplines, all of them, or those referenced in the NT, were anti-semitic. But I would wager based on my limited historical knowledge, they certainly wanted change.
I can tell you that they were NOT.... Some of them were Jewish. Jesus came thru the line of David, He was Jewish... I think that is on of the reasons they called them God's chosen... Because this was the line/people that Jesus was chosen to come through.

Even the OT was written to point the way to Jesus. I have no anger or hatred towards the Jewish community... My desire is for everyone to come to a saving knowledge of Christ. That is all.... and that can't be done by denying HIM.

Quote:
And inasmuch as the OP was asking a totally different question, one I believe referenced Jewish beliefs, it seemed as if several posts went astray.
ok... I was answering one of her statements. Then I was answering other questions.. not sure how that could be considered straying... but you are intitled to your opinion.

Last edited by ibcwife; 06-19-2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM

No contemporary records corroborate the bible. Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (37 CE - circa 100 CE) was born after the death of Jesus Christ.

I believe I made myself clear: I am not Christian; I don't follow the biblical text as God's word, and believe many inconsistencies, too many to enumerate, exist to claim veracity.

And, frankly, I don't want to debate this subject beyond my limited scope of knowledge. I shared some of my knowledge by offering up some misconceptions I felt were introduced into the thread.

We each have our personal POV, then there is history, and faith; the latter two are not united.

Again, my apology to the OP for possibly taking the thread off course!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 AM

Main Entry: an·ti-Sem·i·tism
Function: noun
Pronunciation: "an-ti-'se-m&-"ti-z&m, "an-"tī-
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Main Entry: dis·crim·i·na·tion
Function: noun
Pronunciation: dis-"kri-m&-'nA-sh&n
1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
2 : the quality or power of finely distinguishing
3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>

I do not have any hostility toward Jews.... and respond in the same way to ANYONE that didn't believe in Jesus Christ.

And I suppose the Dead Sea Scrolls that were found were just fakes?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM

I don't recall calling anyone an anti-semite. If you think you were accused of that, please carefully re-read my prose.

And I, by the way, respond from my own POV, not from any hostility. Perhaps if I had been raised Christian, I would be speaking a different language, and singing a different tune, but I wasn't and can't!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
There are several references here to the effect that Jews plotted to kill Jesus, and that Jews killed Jesus. Historically, that would be right because He was a Jew among Jews... but, in actuality...

Dear souls, it's *we* who killed Jesus. You, me, and even the atheist.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I don't recall calling anyone an anti-semite. If you think you were accused of that, please carefully re-read my prose.

And I, by the way, respond from my own POV, not from any hostility. Perhaps if I had been raised Christian, I would be speaking a different language, and singing a different tune, but I wasn't and can't!

Maybe not stated but implied... I wanted to make sure to state for the record.... that I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism