Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Thank you! You need to head up north to Scott more often if you want to catch them . We have to stop all of the time on K95 and wait for them to cross with their chicks. They also like to hang out in our locus trees.
Would you consider allowing an ethical and respectful hunter onto your property during pheasant season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:02 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Would you consider allowing an ethical and respectful hunter onto your property during pheasant season?
Well, even if I thought my father would agree, there are some issues with hunting on the property. To start over 60% of our land is inaccessible to the average person. A good chunk of it is down in a gully populated by large groves of poison ivy and part of the old horse barn that blew over in a bad storm, and the other large chunk is at the top a set of hills that you need some wetter weather and good hiking boots to climb because the chalk rocks are so frail. We also never have pheasant on the property as we're not near any fields. We have turkey and deer by the truckload, but we've never seen a pheasant along highway 95. We also both fortunately and unfortunately have an adjacent neighbor to the South who would probably throw a fit. He already doesn't like that we don't just mow the flowers, cactus, and yucca to the ground like he does, and his mower somehow manages to magically inch further and further into our yard every time he mows... The plus side is that he's there the entire year because he has heat and AC. The house on our property that was fairly modern was willed to another family member, sold, and removed from the premises, so we don't even bother to keep the water on most of the year. It's always fun to discover that a mouse, squirrel, or rabbit somehow got under the well cover during the winter and chewed the wires again.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:07 PM

Arkalon Park in Seward County.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:44 PM

179 posts, read 248,568 times
Oh my gosh that's beautiful! I'm gonna have to look that place up and go there.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
That's surprising for sure. on my drive to work (about 10 miles) I'd see them literally several times a week. Deer as well. Now our home backs up to a forest, so of course I have them in my yard from time to time. Along with a resident Fox who hangs out in the yard like he owns the place. Pretty cool, for sure.
Same here, we see Turkeys, deer, and even foxes frequently. Not on a daily basis, but weekly.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There are all sorts of public lands to hunt on, and in many cases they are just as good or better then privately owned land. My family went on annual pheasant hunts to NW Kansas for many years, north of Hays. There is some great Pheasant and Quail hunting out there. You may be surprised by how many people are out there hunting. I'd consider reserving a hotel room before you leave. Eastern Kansas has great deer and turkey hunting. Finding public land in Eastern Kansas for that is a little more difficult, but should be possible. I've never gone solo and it's been many years since I have gone, but when I was growing up I went with my father, grandfather, and brothers many times.

Where to Hunt / Hunting / KDWPT - KDWPT

If you strike out on the hunting, you can go to somewhere like Ravenwood Lodge. It's a great place to go and operated by some great people as well.
Ravenwood Lodge, Topeka Kansas

Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Arkalon Park in Seward County.
Good photos as always. That gully is pretty cool and the flowers are beautiful. I wish I had more free time to get out and take pictures like I used to. My Canon is getting very dusty.

We are heading out to the Capitol Food Truck Festival now, maybe I can get some pictures.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Good photos as always. That gully is pretty cool and the flowers are beautiful. I wish I had more free time to get out and take pictures like I used to. My Canon is getting very dusty.

We are heading out to the Capitol Food Truck Festival now, maybe I can get some pictures.
Thank you, and an event like that would be very interesting to see. It would show off a good aspect of Topeka. I'm heading to Hutch tomorrow, but I don't know If I'll snag any pictures.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Cheyenne County Kansas is my birth place and I still love to visit. Many think the landscape is boring but most people are too blind to see beauty that is right in front of them.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Oh my gosh that's beautiful! I'm gonna have to look that place up and go there.
It's not far from Liberal. The easiest way to get there is to drive down 83, turn left on 160 towards Plains, then turn right when you get to Road R-Panhandle Road and take that down to 54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas