Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 AM

161 posts, read 237,822 times

Advertisements

Well I've been looking for a reason to get out of this business. When we started planning a move I told my wife is go anywhere BUT Florida. Never been but I know its not for me. Thanks for all the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 AM

73 posts, read 68,642 times
Hello all,

I'm poking my nose in this thread because I would love nothing better than to be in east Tennessee. We live in NC now and I have been looking for months now. I'm hesitant to make the move because of the job market and having a home here that we would need to sell.

I'm looking forward to all of the responses.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 AM

What part of NC are you in? My wife and I are considering Western NC and Eastern Tennessee. Why do you want to move?

Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 PM

73 posts, read 68,642 times
I am in the Raleigh area. My husband and I love the mountains. I think it drops my blood pressure 10 points just being there. We would be mainly looking for more land than what we have now. Getting out of a subdivision with room to breathe, quiet and privacy are motivating factors.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 PM

Understandable. I'd prefer a big property and a small house. We like to be outside more than in. We love the mountains.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Default Eastern TN vs Western NC

If you live in one tell me what you love about it and where you live. My wife and I are looking to move in a year or two. We are in our 30s with a 5 year old daughter. Love the outdoors. We work hard and want to find a spot where we would like to retire some day and become part of that community sooner than later.

Thanks. Tim

Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,610,525 times
I'm going to assume you've done your research on elevation and climate - that is a big difference. If you wanted to live in/near a larger city there is a world of difference - it seems Asheville's "boutique" status makes living there a struggle for most folks. Jobs aren't guaranteed in E TN but if you have the luck and credentials to land middle class jobs the living can be pretty easy.

IIRC you are trained as a mechanic and pharmacy tech - jobs that are located just about everywhere. Since you prefer a small town, I suppose your choice would come down to climate and schools. E TN has some highly rated school districts that are small town/rural. I've deleted the ones that aren't in E TN. No Idea how this relates to WNC.

Of the 141 school districts in Tennessee, here are the top 20:

1.Maryville City Schools
2.Kingsport City Schools
3.Greeneville City Schools

5.Oak Ridge City Schools
6.Johnson City Schools

9.Alcoa City Schools

13.Knox County Schools
18.Hamblen County Schools
19.Bristol City Schools

One other difference is the scenery is more dramatic in E TN because you are viewing the mountains from a valley. Don't know if that would sway anyone's decision but I thought I'd mention it.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 AM

I know the elevation has an effect on the climate. The higher you go the colder it gets. That's about it. I'd like a long fall and a short winter. Some snow is fine. We just don't want to be trapped inside for 6 months with 4' of snow outside and -20 degree temps. I don't mind a 45-60 minute ride to work. That's what I do now. We aren't close to retirement age but we are planning for it. We want to be established in the area when we retire. We take part in community activities and volunteer when we can. I like to know my neighbors and always lend a hand when needed. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Tim

Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,610,525 times
Quote:
We just don't want to be trapped inside for 6 months with 4' of snow outside and -20 degree temps.
I think you know you won't find this anywhere in ET or NC.

My advice is to start with he most restrictive thing on your wish list and go from there. You say you like ATV riding and I know there is a park at windrock outside Oak Ridge. You should research other ATV parks and ask about the communities near them. I think Oak Ridge would be good for the schools but you are unlikely to get acreage within the city limits. Can you buy into the OR school system?? Something to consider.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM

When we do move we are going to rent 1st. That way we aren't stuck selling a house if we find a different area we like. Again. Thanks for the info. And ideas on what to look up. It's all a big help. We moved to NH about 2 years ago without doing any of this searching for info. I wish we moved south then instead of wasting time up here in the cold. NH is beautiful but not for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville