Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 PM

75 posts, read 226,835 times

Advertisements

Just stumbled on this thread, hope you are still checking in to this forum. We moved from NH to East Tennessee almost 8 years ago. We looked at Western NC as well. Very happy with our East Tennessee choice. I got sick of New England winters. My only regret is not doing it sooner. You will love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM

11,149 posts, read 9,789,597 times
We also looked at western NC and chose east TN. The only city of any size in west NC is Asheville and home prices are high there, as well as property taxes. East TN has much lower home prices, very low property tax and NO state income tax, except on certain dividends and interest income. NC does have a state income tax, and does tax pensions, but with some exclusions. We also wanted to be in an area with lakes and rivers for recreation and that left out most of west NC, while east TN has MANY lakes and rivers to enjoy. There are a lot of jobs in the Knoxville area, especially in manufacturing and medical fields, don't really know about jobs in west NC, but most of it is rural and typically rural areas are harder to find employment. I would not recommend moving ANYWHERE without having a job lined up for at least one adult. Check out indeed.com for openings in any area.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
If you live in one tell me what you love about it and where you live. My wife and I are looking to move in a year or two. We are in our 30s with a 5 year old daughter. Love the outdoors. We work hard and want to find a spot where we would like to retire some day and become part of that community sooner than later.

Thanks. Tim
Top differences are probably weather and taxes.

Weather comes from the West and the mountains squeeze the moisture out on the Tennessee side therefore there seems to be more storms and tornado's in the Knoxville, Tennessee area. I have a niece who hadn't finished repairing the damage from one tornado when another one hit.

We have a poster on C-D that lives just over the line on Highway 421 but uses the town of Boone for shopping. I call that the ideal way to take advantage of the tax problem. The college in Boone has a medical section so that includes the medical needs in a more high end way. I don't know how that would work with Medicare.

The Boone area also has an over abundance of teachers. I grew up about 30 minutes down the mountain on the North Carolina side and we had good schools from the wonderful teacher overflow from Boone. Our teachers were the husbands and wives of the college professors in the Boone area.

As for shopping, The Shoppes on the Parkway in Blowing Rock should have just about anything you would ever need. There are also many craft shops along the Blue Ridge Parkway too.
http://www.blowingrock.com/services/...pping-centers/

Last edited by NCN; 12-21-2015 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM

11,149 posts, read 9,789,597 times
The tornado risk for Knox and surrounding counties is considered low. The danger is higher in west or central TN. Storms tend to lose the energy required for a tornado once they pass east of the Cumberland plateau. Not to say that they never happen, but tornados CAN happen anywhere, as can earthquakes, thunderstorms, floods, etc.

Last edited by JMT; 12-28-2015 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,075 times
I love living in East TN. I grew up west of Knoxville (Farragut) before it was fashionable and now live in Seymour, TN, (Sevier Co) which is an unincorporated town between Knoxville and Gatlinburg. It seems that most severe weather seems to hit the plateau and go north of Knoxville.

As a city, I have always liked Maryville the best for my tastes, and we would have lived there except it was too far for our tourism-related business which requires travel to the Gatlinburg/PigeonForge area. Seymour is beautiful and the people are generally welcoming. We moved here in 1987 and still are not considered 'locals' however ;-)

Old 12-26-2015, 01:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,721,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Top differences are probably weather and taxes.

Weather comes from the West and the mountains squeeze the moisture out on the Tennessee side therefore there seems to be more storms and tornado's in the Knoxville, Tennessee area. I have a niece who hadn't finished repairing the damage from one tornado when another one hit.
Tornado's are uncommon in Knoxville. On a very few occasions they have occurred, but still not common.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 AM

142 posts, read 176,965 times
Hi. My husband and I have been researching the Knoxville area, and I've posted a couple of times, but we're still having a hard time finding a location between Knoxville and the Smokies that is close enough to a good-sized downtown, and has great mountain views. I've checked many of the houses in Maryville, but none have great views that I can see in the type of house we're looking for - 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2 or 3 baths, newer build or totally renovated. I checked the Seymour area, but am not having luck. Are there other towns that I should be looking at? Thanks! ... As a side note, the other area that interested us was Hendersonville, NC (south of Asheville), but it sounds like it's a pretty small town, and it would be colder than the Knoxville area.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:32 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,610,525 times
Here are some streets with great views:

E. Scott ave (older homes) 37917

Westover Terrace (mid century, some new) and environs 37914

Buffat mill Rd 37914? Not sure of zip.

Maloney Rd & Timberlake 37920. Also may have river views

View Park 37920

Ridgeway Ln 37919

Westwood area, (sunrise, greenbrier)??? 37919

Lyons View pike 37919 (high end)

Not every house on these streets will have a great view but those are some places to look and drive around.

You'll find many locations in West Knox as well - look on the south side of a high hill.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM

142 posts, read 176,965 times
Thanks Creeksitter! It looks like these places are all pretty close to town, so they would be all very long-distance views of the Smokies, right? (There aren't any mountains to the west you're talking about?) We are hoping for some closer views, which is why we're looking south and southeast of Knoxville, but if the areas you're talking about have about the same views, we'll definitely check them out.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:45 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,610,525 times
Hmmm, I personally prefer the long range views but preferences will vary.

Greeneville, Sevierville, and Cleveland are towns that may be larger than Hendersonville - but you'd know that by looking at a map. There's also Newport which is right up against the mountains and has something of a wild west reputation. You might find something in a gated subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville