Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 09:29 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
That would be super as I could use the lower area for storage and occasional use. I can tackle stairs today but I am not so sure about 10 years from now. I would also consider any 2-story home where the master bedroom is on the ground floor - uncommon but they are around.

As always, thanks for your help & knowledge.

Meanwhile, I am finding the humid 75-90 degree temps to be unpleasant. I do miss how those temps feel when the air is dry.

Not to say higher temps are pleasant in humidity, but generally when it is 95 here it is more like 102-105 in Sacramento, so the difference in heat index feel is not so much as both are "hot". I don't feel any difference. Maybe it is 85 in Sacramento when it is 78 here, but that is a pleasant dry 85. That 75-90 range is where I am finding I miss the dry atmosphere.
It's definitely lower temps than in Sac, but the humidity does take some getting used to. After 9 years here, I've gotten used to it. It really only bothers me now when I'm in the sun. If I can stay in the shade when it's near 90, I'm okay with it. The awful 105+ degree days in Sac were miserable too, but we were used to them. You'll get used to the weather here too, eventually. At least the hot weather here doesn't last from May to September.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:51 AM

176 posts, read 220,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's definitely lower temps than in Sac, but the humidity does take some getting used to. After 9 years here, I've gotten used to it. It really only bothers me now when I'm in the sun. If I can stay in the shade when it's near 90, I'm okay with it. The awful 105+ degree days in Sac were miserable too, but we were used to them. You'll get used to the weather here too, eventually. At least the hot weather here doesn't last from May to September.
Just got back a couple days ago from Sac and Redding. The whole north state looks so dry and brown and dead. It looks like God spread straw over the entire world. The fine dust particulates that linger in the north Central Valley air never land and cause a haze I had forgotten about. When you cannot see Sutter Buttes from the I5, that's a bad thing. They're only 20 miles away and over 2000 feet high, surrounded by level ground. That's sad. The great California Dust Bowl. The Central Valley farmers have been predicting it for decades, with their farm fence signs complaining about California's legislature tinkering with water rights. The whole nation suffers when those fruits, vegetables, and nuts soar in price and scarcity. Tragic.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:03 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I see a high proportion of 2 story homes in Farragut and West Knoxville. I am still curious how people here handle climbing stairs in their late 70s and 80s. Descending is worse, as that is when falls happen and cause more severe damage. Are the elderly that fit and spy in Farragut & West Knox? I have to admit, I don't see many handicap ramps among houses around here.
I know I'm a little further east, but I have to say that when I first moved to east TN I was amazed by how many spry older folks there are in this region. My job means I often see people's ID, and there a LOT of people here in their 70's, 80's and even 90's that I would have guessed were a decade or two younger. Many of them I would chat with to find they were still quite active, gardening, dancing, fishing, photography, writing books even! I reckon they come from some pretty sturdy stock.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:52 PM

11,465 posts, read 5,995,398 times
That is interesting, given that Tennesee has the 6th highest rate of obesity. Maybe they all live in Memphis or something. Mountain peole are generally pretty hardy, but Knoxville is not too mountainous. Next to the mountains, but not really in them. Hilly.

I am baffled how the elderly in Knoxville handle the stairs in their 2-story homes. Maybe all of the obese people are younger and the elderly are fit. I don't know.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:18 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Quote:
I see a high proportion of 2 story homes in Farragut and West Knoxville. I am still curious how people here handle climbing stairs in their late 70s and 80s. Descending is worse, as that is when falls happen and cause more severe damage. Are the elderly that fit and spy in Farragut & West Knox? I have to admit, I don't see many handicap ramps among houses around here
IIRC you live in far southwest Knox county with a lot of new construction targeted for families with children. Not a lot of elderly in this demographic though I see Master-on-Main floorplans that could accomodate an elderly grandparent. Empty nesters who want new constuction will buy in a one level attached development of which there are many and they appreciate the lawn care/landscaping is covered. These are designed with minimal/no stairs. You can see handicap ramps in older neighborhoods.

Quote:
I am baffled how the elderly in Knoxville handle the stairs in their 2-story homes.
I am baffled that you are baffled. I live on a street where all the houses are one story. This is true for a lot of older Knoxville. Plenty of one story ranch houses west of Morrell, so I don't understand why you aren't seeing them.

Quote:
Maybe all of the obese people are younger and the elderly are fit. I don't know.
???

Old 08-15-2022, 09:59 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Yep, my neighborhood is mostly retirees, and there are plenty of fit folk here. Lots of neighbors here have 2 stories and manage alright. I saw one home with a stairlift during an estate sale, so maybe there is some of that. We've seen a lot of new one-story construction lately though, due to lower building costs and an appetite for less expensive/smaller homes.

Unfortunately, I'm overweight due to health issues, but I handle the stairs in my home just fine at 63, heck I even went zip-lining for the first time last year. At 85? Who knows? We can live entirely on the entry level of our home, the walk-out basement is our game room, a room where I watch TV, a storeroom, and hubby's workshop.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:19 PM

2,621 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Ivan,

Sorry if you've mentioned this already somewhere in the thread as I haven't read through it yet, but where in California are you from?

Just wondering since being from San Diego or LA is much different than from Sacramento or Redding!

Old 08-29-2022, 12:23 PM

176 posts, read 220,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Ivan,

Sorry if you've mentioned this already somewhere in the thread as I haven't read through it yet, but where in California are you from?

Just wondering since being from San Diego or LA is much different than from Sacramento or Redding!
Do you mean Igor (not Ivan), or do you mean me, since I mentioned Sac and Redding.

Born in L.A., lived most of 50 years there and OC. My parents live in Redding for almost 30 years now, I've been and stayed in Redding over a year (5-14 days at a time, two to three times a year, for nearly 30 years). I have only twice flown LA to Redding. The other 60-100 visits have been via I5 at all times of day and all days of the week - including holidays.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:44 PM

2,621 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Do you mean Igor (not Ivan), or do you mean me, since I mentioned Sac and Redding.

Born in L.A., lived most of 50 years there and OC. My parents live in Redding for almost 30 years now, I've been and stayed in Redding over a year (5-14 days at a time, two to three times a year, for nearly 30 years). I have only twice flown LA to Redding. The other 60-100 visits have been via I5 at all times of day and all days of the week - including holidays.
I meant Igor (lol).

I have a friend whose son is named Ivan in NorCal near Sac/Redding , which might be the source of that Freudian slip.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:54 PM

11,465 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Ivan,

Born and raised in SF first 15 years. Sacramento for the next 30 years. Back to San Francisco for the next 10 years. An hour north of Sacramento for the last 5 years.

I lived in California my entire life except for a 3 month stint working in Seattle.

My impression of the nation came from 2 cross-country motorcycle tours of 2 months duration each. Very unfortunately, Tennessee was not one of the states I spent any apprciable time in. I just blew through Tennessee on my way from place to place. That was a real handicap when I decided to live in Tennessee, since I never really had seen it or stopped in it, other to pump gas.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 08-29-2022 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville