Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 35,646 times

Advertisements

Publix was great but very expensive, I think if a Publix was opened I'd only go to it for their sushi... I honestly do not think many would shop at Publix maybe to get the shopping is a pleasure sensation, until the cashier reads the total!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingfarmr View Post
Publix was great but very expensive, I think if a Publix was opened I'd only go to it for their sushi... I honestly do not think many would shop at Publix maybe to get the shopping is a pleasure sensation, until the cashier reads the total!
I disagree completely. Publix is wildly popular everywhere they set up, even in lower-income areas. There was a Public next to a housing project in Smyrna (suburban Atlanta) and the place was always packed. They've entered the Nashville market successfully and have just entered the Chattanooga market. They would do very well in Knoxville.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,657 times
Wink I'll take Publix over ANY other grocery store for quality and economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingfarmr View Post
I have to go along with JMT (not unusual at all). Smilingfarmr, your experience with Publix is, I think, unique. The Publix grocery chain in our area is known to have the best price points out of any of the big chain stores - discounting Costco and Walmart.

I have reached the point that I will shop only at Publix, although I am within 1/2 mile of a Kroger store and less than that to an Ingle's. Both have lots of loss leaders that they advertise, but the bottom line $$ once the cart is emptied is outrageous.

Plus, I cannot abide all of these cute plastic cards that make you feel that you belong to a special club of savers that most grocery store chains require in order to get their sale items. Give me a break! Put it on sale for everyone or don't bother. How much does it cost to maintain these plastic savers card clubs every year. Take 5 cents off of every gallon of milk I buy instead of keeping track of my purchases and issuing cards, and please, get a better quality of meat in your case!

These things are not an issue at Publix. They always have fresh, top quality meats and produce. Their prices cannot be beat and their employees are some of the nicest, most professional that I have met.

Whooee! I didn't realize I was so passionate about my grocery store. Sarah Palin and I could be sorority sisters!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I'll start!

Macy's
Crate & Barrel
What!!! No Macy's or Crate & Barrel? Next, you'll tell me there are no Meijer's in E. TN either!!

I do agree, SMG. A Macy's would really be wonderful. Dillard's in the Atlanta area is a good department store, as is Belk's, but no one can compete with Macy's for the sheer volumn of merchandise and departments. And, how about those never-ending sales!

They even have high end separate furniture stores in this area. I don't know if Knoxville is big enough to support a Macy's complex, but it does seem that folks are always looking for better quality and variety of merchandise and Macy's can provide it.

I would love to see a Calico Corners and a Joann's Superstore (50,000 sf stores!).

Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Gem,

We had JoAnn's here and the one closest to me closed last year. It was a great store and is missed very, very much. I don't know if there are still other locations in the area or not.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I have to go along with JMT (not unusual at all). Smilingfarmr, your experience with Publix is, I think, unique. The Publix grocery chain in our area is known to have the best price points out of any of the big chain stores - discounting Costco and Walmart.

I have reached the point that I will shop only at Publix, although I am within 1/2 mile of a Kroger store and less than that to an Ingle's. Both have lots of loss leaders that they advertise, but the bottom line $$ once the cart is emptied is outrageous.

Plus, I cannot abide all of these cute plastic cards that make you feel that you belong to a special club of savers that most grocery store chains require in order to get their sale items. Give me a break! Put it on sale for everyone or don't bother. How much does it cost to maintain these plastic savers card clubs every year. Take 5 cents off of every gallon of milk I buy instead of keeping track of my purchases and issuing cards, and please, get a better quality of meat in your case!

These things are not an issue at Publix. They always have fresh, top quality meats and produce. Their prices cannot be beat and their employees are some of the nicest, most professional that I have met.

Whooee! I didn't realize I was so passionate about my grocery store. Sarah Palin and I could be sorority sisters!
I forgot that Publix doesn't require those #*)@%! membership cards to get the sales prices. Another reason I love Publix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Gem,

We had JoAnn's here and the one closest to me closed last year. It was a great store and is missed very, very much. I don't know if there are still other locations in the area or not.
There's a Jo-Ann store in West Knoxville (of course) on Peters Road near Best Buy. In the same shopping area are Dick's Sporting Goods and Staples.

I think the sign has been changed (someone must've alerted the shopping center owner) but the shopping center sign on Kingston Pike used to have the stores listed in this order (and I'm not making this up):

Jo-Ann
Staples
Dick's

If you don't understand why that's funny, please don't ask me to explain.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:08 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
LOL, girl power?!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I just choked on my lunch. I hope you are all happy.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I forgot that Publix doesn't require those #*)@%! membership cards to get the sales prices. Another reason I love Publix!

There's a Jo-Ann store in West Knoxville (of course) on Peters Road near Best Buy. In the same shopping area are Dick's Sporting Goods and Staples.

I think the sign has been changed (someone must've alerted the shopping center owner) but the shopping center sign on Kingston Pike used to have the stores listed in this order (and I'm not making this up):

Jo-Ann
Staples
Dick's

If you don't understand why that's funny, please don't ask me to explain.
Now, tell the truth, JMT. Did you have to call that shopping center and alert them to their hilarious signage? Nobody could MAKE UP something as riotous as that!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 09-28-2008 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Grammar is challenging!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 AM

592 posts, read 2,136,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post

This sounds a lot like HyVee.

Sounds like I'd be all for it. I cannot stand the "well, you have to have a card to pay our still high, but discounted off the higher price items".

Grocery stores here have been a huge disappointment...from their ads to their silly "cards".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville